partymonster

LDR Album Process Discussion

2 minutes ago, Say Yes to Heaven said:

Track 12 is 100% not axl Rose

I am convinced its Money & Power 

i’m pretty sure track 11 is money and power

no idea what track 12 could be except for Front Row/Full Row or something like that

On 1/5/2023 at 7:00 PM, stupidapartmentcomplex said:

I just heard the real version of Fine China and she says "I'm so me, Corinthians" instead of "Strong like a tree, but the unlucky one"

omg this is what user reputation warned us about on september 13 2016 @Elle unban them we need another Q&A

QaSBfs0.png

Wait you’re right!

whatarecoloris.jpg

This is a myth busting post. Unfortunately, many of these stemmed from one person in particular, hence the title. I fear the damage they've wreaked in the past 3 months starting with one post may ruin the legitimacy of Lanapedia posts forever but, oh well. Sidenote all of you need stop believing everything an "insider" writes /especially/ if it contradicts what you know Lana herself has said.

Myth: Your Girl/Fine China/Say Yes To Heaven demos leaked in 2016 were fake/unapproved by Lana or Rick/produced by Patrick Warren/etc.

Bust: Long version (here). TL/DR - from both a production standpoint and a songwriting standpoint this never made sense, and that fact is only reinforced with leaks from the other versions of the songs now coming out and being largely identical to what was released. Note: the arrangement is the same, most of the stems in each are the same and in the same place, the only changes are those of instrument choice and the stage the song was in (minor lyric changes etc.) Par for the course. Let Me Love You Like A Woman demo and final version drastically different from each other. Same for Lust for Life versions 1-10. All produced by Rick and Lana, none by Patrick Warren (who provided instrumentation, never production, writing, or arrangement). Longer version of this myth bust below!

Myth: “Melancholia” was an album title for UV.

Bust: This came to be established as fact due to Ultraviolence (the song)’s earliest form, a song called Melancholia, leaking. Lana herself stated: “I knew I wanted a record called Ultraviolence and that song in particular stood out to me, so eventually I reworked a song called Melancholia into Ultraviolence.” No evidence that Melancholia was ever an album title. Direct evidence that Lana wanted a record called UV so bad she was willing to rework the lyrics of an old song she liked to be a title track.

Myth: “Tropico” was an album concept.

Bust: This one never made any sense at all, sorry for your notebook pages. Despite the fact that no one knows anything about what Lana was writing on the page or how she organized it, we do have actual facts about Tropico. It was announced as a film as early as 2012 (before the notebook picture, which came in 2013). It was filmed in June of 2013. It was /always/ linked to songs from Paradise (announced as a film with the original Bel Air music video upload.) All the other claims about it were purely speculation (ie BlackOutZone likes attention and made it up.) Further, as late as June 2013 Lana wasn’t “interested in putting out another album”, even though she was writing music. Only in August did she say she was working on a new album, mentioning Black Beauty as being written for it, this album of course being Ultraviolence.

Myth: “Ultraviolence tracklist got changed after Dan Auerbach got involved.”

Bust: Dan merely rerecorded demos Lana had already made and was ready to release. Dan has no writing credits on any song from Ultraviolence except for Florida Kilos. Dan: “Her demos were so good, her songs were so strong that I wanted to get my musicians in who I love and get my sound that I get here with her songs and that’s it. I didn’t want to mess it up. She sang live with a seven-piece band. That’s the whole record – a seven-piece band with her singing live. It was crazy.” "After she played him some of the demos she was working on, he became a fan, lobbying to produce her.” Lana said she thought the record was done in December 2013, and announced it. Dan heard the album while they were at The Riviera in Queens (with Emile Haynie) and told her he thought she was almost where she wanted to be with the sound, but that his Nashville band could get her perfectly there.

See, BlackOutZone is the king of the “idk tho” He loves to present entirely speculative opinions

“so perhaps her original idea was to release the album in 2013 alongside the visuals”

“personally only treat JFK, I Don't Wanna Go, Starry Eyed as Paradise outtakes, but this all remains debatable.”

“it must have only been”

Which are then ran with by him and y’all as fact simply because recently he’s been able to leak tracklists (actual matters of fact).

Even during Blue Banisters he was walking the middle line by making claims that could be verified (but weren’t) and then retracting them (X song is gonna be on the album…jk she changed her mind).

Was BlackOutZone right on some tracklist related things and announcements of recent songs? Definitely, and I’m sure the label connection that traced him to be the source of all these leaks and told him to stop has cut off his access. Does BlackOutZone know literally anything about mixing, mastering, or the way songs got recorded or leaked in 2016, or what the hell Lana was up to in 2013? No, and it’s time for you all to stop pretending he does.

On 3/30/2023 at 3:23 PM, LBcita said:

maybe this is 2 months late but who cares, this post by @BlackoutZone bothers me. He concedes it could be wrong (so don't attack), but let me tell you why none of what he said makes...any sense from a music making perspective. I'm going to be relying on actual facts we know from Lana/her team over the years, and on standard industry practice and practicalities. This post will be long, but worth it for the sake of truth.

to start, let's define some terms (these are all in the context of songs, not albums):

Producer - someone who, in some way, directs the actual sound recording of a song (composition of music, in these cases consisting of melodies, lyrics, and chords progressions)//recording project's creative and technical leader. They create or direct the creation of the tracks (stems) that make up a song (vocals, beats, instruments etc.)

Instrumentalist/session musician - someone commissioned by a PRODUCER of a song to play instruments (usually prewritten, sometimes improvised by the musician) for its sound recording

Mixing - the very complex, very difficult process of balancing every track in a song (vocals, backing vocals, digital and live instruments, special effects, etc.) Notably, Lana's frequently mentioned her mixing takes months because of how meticulous she is. Mixing is performed by engineers, in some cases (such as Lana's music) heavily assisted or directed by the producers or artists.
Engineer - here we have both recording engineers and sound engineers, which are different but often the same person, however - basically they're behind all the technical aspects of recording a song. That includes literally pressing record for a session, throwing together a mix for the artist to listen to outside of the studio, etc. Audio engineers work on the actual recording of the song, mixing engineers begin the process most traditionally known as mixing once the artist and producer's song of the vision is complete. (there's an element of mixing that's done by producers, but we're not talking about that).

OWNERSHIP: Legal concept. google Taylor Swift if you need a refresher. What's important to remember is that Lana has owned her master recordings since Born to Die. Established musical term partnerships (such as Lana and Rick or Lana and Jack) often begin the legal aspect's work on an album with a producer and master recording owner (in this case Lana, probably with advance funding in exchange for their licensing deal) entering into a contract for a joint venture. The owner of a master recording has all right to any reproductions of the song.

In a gist, this is typically how a song or group of songs begins. The owner of the recording (usually a label, in this case Lana with her label’s advance money) will contract a joint venture for the recording of a song or songs with a producer. Lana has her relationships established, so while I suspect none of them are taking the contracts to each other, everybody’s got to get paid so somewhere these signatures exist (to prevent say Rick suing Lana for a song’s ownership or something). The producer(s) (ie Lana and Rick/Jack/etc.) begin to create the song (Lana and her producers usually write them as well but that is a can of worms for another time) in its recording by either creating themselves or commissioning others (instrumentalists) to create tracks of music for the song. Ie Change - Lana and Rick created tracks (vocals and piano) pretty much themselves. Or a song from Born to Die (Lana wrote the songs, and worked with producers who created beats (Emile) and helped her record her vocals). Throughout this recording process the people actually pressing (+ new track), (record), (pause etc.) on the computer is a recording engineer, who may also function as a mastering engineer. For example, with White Dress Jack and Lana as producers and instrumentalists were messing around with piano and vocals, and thankfully Laura (engineer) was around to actually press the record button and ensure what they sang into the mic existed digitally.

Now that we have basic terminology down, let's run down who on Lana's team wears which of these hat(s).

Lana Del Rey: Producer (beginning with Pretty When You Cry and Guns and Roses, and nearly every released album track since then *notably excluding Fingertips), instrumentalist (horns on NFR is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head but there might be more)

Engineer* - Lana's known to be (annoyingly, in her own words) meticulous over the mixing process. She's been said to know decibel level differences in the way stems are mixed against each other. The * is because she didn't get an actual mixing credit until the songs with Barrie were used for Blue Banisters. (that's why they sound that way I suspect, not because they were ripped from YouTube - the amount of quality loss from downloading an Mp3 of a unmastered or even mastered song and then remastering it without the stems would make them sound very horrible in my AirPods). OWNER - Lana has owned all her masters since Born to Die, exclusively licensing the distribution rights to Interscope in the US, Universal everywhere else, and Polydor in the UK.

Jack Antonoff: Producer, Instrumentalist, Recording Engineer, Mixing Engineer

Rick Nowels: Producer, Instrumentalist

Laura Sisk: Recording Engineer, Mixing Engineer, Producer (kintsugi) and of course…

Patrick Warren: In all of Patrick's work Lana and Rick (beginning with Born to Die and spanning until Lust for Life), he has only ever served as an instrumentalist. There is one song Lana is on where Patrick served as a producer, and it's the time she featured on Cat Power's album. According to Rick Nowels himself: "Patrick Warren has done strings and keyboards on all the Lana records since ‘Summertime Sadness’. He is a big part of the ‘Lana sound’." This is a very important piece of information.

Okay, now we can begin to examine why @BlackoutZone ’s post made no sense. Let’s examine a Lana and Rick iconic album to see why it made no sense.

Honeymoon was made entirely in Lana and Rick’s circle. Kieron Menzies, Dean Reid, Patrick Warren - all Rick’s guys (similar to Laura working as an engineer on every Jack project). The whole album except for 2 songs was recorded at Rick’s studio. Patrick Warren is an INSTRUMENTALIST on every song except for Freak and Art Deco. That’s why we’re using this as an example.

Depending on which instrument provided on any given song by Patrick, it’s highly likely (or impossible not to have been) he either played a live instrument recorded into a mic (piano, strings, kantele), or created it digitally (synth effects on Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood).

Either way, there’s a very good chance these happened at The Green Building - this was precovid, Rick’s studio is filled with instruments and that would be the best way for the producers to get the desire result. There is however, considering Patrick Warren’s success in his own right, he provided tracks that came from his own studio of choice. It’s important to note that he has no writing credits for lyric, melody, or music on any of the songs - so anything he recorded was written by Lana or Rick (or Nina Simone writers etc.). Basically, he was recording music as dictated to him by the composers. He also doesn’t have a producer credit, so he was never ever expected to provide direction as to what sounds should be there, when they should be there, etc.

Here’s where @BlackoutZone's theory begins to fall apart. The idea that Patrick Warren, whose worked with Lana since 2012 would, in the midst of going back and forth out of the Green Building to record instruments for Lust for Life, would receive a random email (note: Lana’s publicly stated her team /can’t/ use email because of leakers) and then release Lana’s music is questionable at best, considering their extensive working history. What’s even more questionable is that Patrick Warren would 1) have all the stems of any given Lana song, 2) take the role of producer and himself ARRANGE a partially recorded song 3) throw together a rough mix (balancing eq, plugins, reverb, etc.) of the song and 4) then send it to Lana and her team? It’s laughable only because the sheer amount of 1) the amount of work required and 2) complete disregard of Lana and Rick’s recording process, which he had been a witness to, at this point, for the past 4 years.

Let’s take a look to see how mixing for Lana’s team in 2016 actually played out, according to Dean Reid:

"Lana likes to listen to things on her iPod on the beach, and she wants them to sound murky and mysterious. We’re very conscious of that. If we do something that doesn’t fit and that sticks out, we immediately get reactions from Lana or Rick. There is this thing about Lana that if we know she’ll be showing up in half an hour, we have an instinct about what she’s going to like and what not, and so it’s like: ‘Hurry up and make it sound good, so when she walks in the door she’ll be smiling.’ And if she’s not smiling we know how to pull it together really quickly. But she’s in the room for much of the process, and incredibly meticulous about vocal levels, for example. A lot of the vocal rides are dictated by her. She hears 0.2dB differences in volume,”

And according to Kieron Menzies: “She’s very involved during all stages. Obviously she’s central to the writing, but she also sits with us during a lot of the production and mixing.”

“We often do late-night rough mixes,” Menzies elaborates, “so Lana has something she can take home, and that we can play in our cars to check.”

If Lana, in 2016, the time these fakes allegedly occurred, was sitting in the room for months and months with 2 guys, how on earth would it be plausible for Patrick Warren, an instrumentalist with an extensive history of working with Lana and Rick, be fooled in the way that @BlackoutZone described? It makes no sense at all, and that’s before we look at the sheer impracticalities of it.

Mixing a song takes months, and the files are huge. Mixing and mastering are not “basic end steps” as @BlackoutZone described. They take weeks at minimum.

Example: Dean Reid "when we got the first mastered songs back, she was really dismayed by how they sounded, and it turned out to be the dithering down from 24- to 16-bit that was bothering her!"

To mix along the way, as Kieron and Dean do, you need to be a part of an ongoing recording process. All of the files are on Rick’s local network of computers (they have a twin setup), and Kieron and Dean have said they never even work on one song at the same time so they don’t step on each other’s toes. These files, by the way, are huge. The stems themselves create data, but the tracks containing stems are massive. For example, Lust for Life (the song) in its final version had 129 tracks of vocals, drums, effects, etc. It’s a five minute song with basic verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus structure and has 129 tracks. Massive.

So it’s questionable that Patrick, as an instrumentalist, has all of these tracks on his home computer just laying around. It’s even more questionable that Patrick is sitting around mixing files that start in Pro Tools, switching to Logic for some reason and then reconfiguring them back to be reimported? into Pro tools at The Green Building. It doesn’t make any sense. What most likely happened is one of two scenarios, accounting for @BlackoutZone (unverified yet question raising) claim about the metadata export info. I don’t really have an opinion on the likelihood of one over the other, as they could both be true at the same time.

Scenario A: During the recording of the song, Patrick worked from his own studio to record live or digital instruments, for some reason not at the Green Building. In order to record his section properly, he was sent rough mixes of certain parts of the song (whether it was just vocal and piano or more meaty versions) and then recorded his sections alongside them using Logic.

Scenario B: At some point during the recording of the songs Patrick was sent rough mixes in the forms of mp3 to take home and listen and hear how his instruments sounded to see if he wanted to rerecord, or because he was asked to rerecord them, OR after the songs were done, he was sent the rough mixes to hear his part, purely as common courtesy and a member of the team.

However, in both of these scenarios, it would be a logistical nightmare to send him the entire data file (massive), and there would be no need to do so, since he’s not a producer or engineer. Without the file and with only an exported copy, there’s no way he could arrange the songs into a “fake” mix Lana nor Rick approved of. Because he would only have a sound file. So the idea that Patrick himself was fooled into thinking Lana’s team was asking him for a rough mix is improbable because it is implausible.

The only part of @BlackoutZone's theory that could be potentially true is that Patrick was responsible for the songs getting out in someway (perhaps even deception), and/or the strings or some other instrument he provided were in a different section than Lana or Rick wanted. But there’s no actual evidence of that. I could make an entire separate thread about song composition that demonstrates the unlikely nature of this “fake songs” theory as well, but this post is long enough.

Perhaps Patrick was the source of the leaks (we may never truly know) - but it definitely wasn’t in the way that @BlackoutZone described, because that would be logistically impossible and also make no sense if you give it 3 seconds of thought into how music is made. This theory is debunked, the songs are not fake. One thing is clear however: @111 is certainly owed an apology.

*Lastly ownership: the idea that commissioned producers, instrumentalists, etc. would risk the legal consequences of reproducing songs using recordings they have no claim of ownership to is laughable. It’s just not worth it. There is a lot of money in master recording rights, and they’re usually owned by labels with armies of lawyers. Beware any such theories of producers or  instrumentalists getting crafty with sound files they don’t own (or even likely have access to, as in this specific case).

7 years later and the sheer brilliance and genius of 111 is still being discussed with ESSAYS. the fact that bozo wrote his lengthy post thinking it would end me, not knowing he was going to end himself over 2 sentences of teasing a surprise. when you act boo boo the fool... 

2 minutes ago, 111 said:

7 years later and the sheer brilliance and genius of 111 is still being discussed with ESSAYS. the fact that bozo wrote his lengthy post thinking it would end me, not knowing he was going to end himself over 2 sentences of teasing a surprise. when you act boo boo the fool... 

speaking of the surprise can you at least tell us if it was that record store thing? or is it something else that was cancelled/postponed

24 minutes ago, LBcita said:

Myth: Your Girl/Fine China/Say Yes To Heaven demos leaked in 2016 were fake/unapproved by Lana or Rick/produced by Patrick Warren/etc.

Bust: Long version (here). TL/DR - from both a production standpoint and a songwriting standpoint this never made sense, and that fact is only reinforced with leaks from the other versions of the songs now coming out and being largely identical to what was released. Note: the arrangement is the same, most of the stems in each are the same and in the same place, the only changes are those of instrument choice and the stage the song was in (minor lyric changes etc.) Par for the course. Let Me Love You Like A Woman demo and final version drastically different from each other. Same for Lust for Life versions 1-10. All produced by Rick and Lana, none by Patrick Warren (who provided instrumentation, never production, writing, or arrangement). Longer version of this myth bust below!

he literally said Patrick just threw the stems he had together and filled in the blanks, so your "contradiction" makes no sense. Obviously they would share stems, we all simply assumed the overlap wouldnt be that big.

Myth: “Melancholia” was an album title for UV.

Bust: This came to be established as fact due to Ultraviolence (the song)’s earliest form, a song called Melancholia, leaking. Lana herself stated: “I knew I wanted a record called Ultraviolence and that song in particular stood out to me, so eventually I reworked a song called Melancholia into Ultraviolence.” No evidence that Melancholia was ever an album title. Direct evidence that Lana wanted a record called UV so bad she was willing to rework the lyrics of an old song she liked to be a title track.

I have never seen anyone think it ever was an album title

Myth: “Tropico” was an album concept.

Bust: This one never made any sense at all, sorry for your notebook pages. Despite the fact that no one knows anything about what Lana was writing on the page or how she organized it, we do have actual facts about Tropico. It was announced as a film as early as 2012 (before the notebook picture, which came in 2013). It was filmed in June of 2013. It was /always/ linked to songs from Paradise (announced as a film with the original Bel Air music video upload.) All the other claims about it were purely speculation (ie BlackOutZone likes attention and made it up.) Further, as late as June 2013 Lana wasn’t “interested in putting out another album”, even though she was writing music. Only in August did she say she was working on a new album, mentioning Black Beauty as being written for it, this album of course being Ultraviolence.

Again, i dont see how anything that BoZ said is contradicted by your post. Lana literally said shes not gonna release any more music after BTD cause she has "said everything she wanted to say"... 9 months before we got the Paradise EP, its not like she is very trustworthy herself and we have plenty of evidence that she changes her mind all the time

Myth: “Ultraviolence tracklist got changed after Dan Auerbach got involved.”

Bust: Dan merely rerecorded demos Lana had already made and was ready to release. Dan has no writing credits on any song from Ultraviolence except for Florida Kilos. Dan: “Her demos were so good, her songs were so strong that I wanted to get my musicians in who I love and get my sound that I get here with her songs and that’s it. I didn’t want to mess it up. She sang live with a seven-piece band. That’s the whole record – a seven-piece band with her singing live. It was crazy.” "After she played him some of the demos she was working on, he became a fan, lobbying to produce her.” Lana said she thought the record was done in December 2013, and announced it. Dan heard the album while they were at The Riviera in Queens (with Emile Haynie) and told her he thought she was almost where she wanted to be with the sound, but that his Nashville band could get her perfectly there.

We have a plethora of UV outtakes, what exactly makes you think e.g. Fine China or Youe Girl werent on thw final tracklist until she re-recorded the album with Dan? Your arguments are solely based on the fact that Dan is not a co-writer. We have no idea if Lana changed the tracklist, so again, your arguments dont make sense

See, BlackOutZone is the king of the “idk tho” He loves to present entirely speculative opinions

“so perhaps her original idea was to release the album in 2013 alongside the visuals”

“personally only treat JFK, I Don't Wanna Go, Starry Eyed as Paradise outtakes, but this all remains debatable.”

“it must have only been”

Which are then ran with by him and y’all as fact simply because recently he’s been able to leak tracklists (actual matters of fact).

Even during Blue Banisters he was walking the middle line by making claims that could be verified (but weren’t) and then retracting them (X song is gonna be on the album…jk she changed her mind).

Was BlackOutZone right on some tracklist related things and announcements of recent songs? Definitely, and I’m sure the label connection that traced him to be the source of all these leaks and told him to stop has cut off his access. Does BlackOutZone know literally anything about mixing, mastering, or the way songs got recorded or leaked in 2016, or what the hell Lana was up to in 2013? No, and it’s time for you all to stop pretending he does.

i think this is a pretty rich statement coming from someone who calls this "myth busting" when said "busting" is based on vague and very shaky arguments, but you do you

not saying everything BoZ says is correct or accurate, but this is kinda ridiculous :toofunny: Also, you say he is the king of just assuming or posting theories, but youre not satisfied when he is clearly telling us when he is unsure and just speculating

pick a lane

so for now, i choose to believe BoZ instead of 3 day old lanaboards user @LBcita :fabcat: have a good day

image.png

1 minute ago, Dominikx4 said:

he literally said Pateick just threw the stems he had together and filled in the blanks, so your "contraficrion" makes no sense

I have never seen anyone think it ever was an album title

Again, i dont see how anything that BoZ said is contradicted by your post. Lana literally said shes not gonna release any more music after BTD cause she has "said everything she wanted to say"... 9 months before we got the Paradise EP

We have a plethora of UV outtakes, what exactly makes you think e.g. Fine China or Youe Girl werent on thw final tracklist until she re-recorded the album with Dan? Your arguments are solely based on the fact that Dan is not a co-writer. We have no idea if Lana changed the tracklist, so again, your arguments dont make sense

i think this is a pretty rich statement coming from someone who calls this "myth busting" when said "busting" is based on vague and very shaky arguments, but you do you

not saying everything BoZ says is correct or accurate, but this is kinda ridiculous :toofunny: Also, you say he is the king of just assuming or posting theories, but youre not satisfied when he is clearly telling us when he is unsure and just speculating

pick a lane

End it :smokes:

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

21 minutes ago, LBcita said:

“it must have only been”

you might have a point there :judgingu3:

8 minutes ago, 111 said:

only source I've ever trusted was the genius of @111 /eclipse/ultrasubversive...the others were just imitators and charlatans

195.png

*this is actually a great read after an edible, even better with the responses

Pearl-praying.webp?fit=300,200&ssl=1

gZ0f.gif

I think, as Lana fans, we should've known by now that everything is subjective when it comes to her projects/unreleased... she changes her mind every 2 minutes so...

Who knows? Maybe Tropico really was an album and then one day she woke up and said no ma'am let's change it up... that's a really Her thing to do