partymonster

LDR Album Process Discussion

10 minutes ago, blackenedrussianpoetry said:

I wonder if an early Norman album concept with production handled by Rick (bartender, happiness is a butterfly). Also is it safe to say that I think happiness is a 2017 song/same session w bartender so there must be a demo solely produced by rick? 

if this is true, could this mean that how to disappear is also from very early norman sessions/rick nowel sessions? since we have a snippet of a piano demo that lana on instagram

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

8 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

if this is true, could this mean that how to disappear is also from very early norman sessions/rick nowel sessions? since we have a snippet of a piano demo that lana on instagram

Interesting idea but I do believe it’s originally and is a Jack track… Elle has broken down the theory of the song and Cinnamon Girl’s background (early Oct 2018)

3 hours ago, Surf Noir said:

i wonder if the brooklyn baby demo and the early black beauty demo are from the same session since they're both by barrie :coffee:

the one we have snippet of or the one that leaked Demo? the one we have snippets has always seemed to me that its january 5 2013 and its the one that was on tropico draft, that was revealed by Unknown, and the leaked Demo is said to be from june that producer solely by rick nowels, But i also would like that someone would confirm the Black beauty mess

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

On 5/29/2023 at 1:08 PM, lmdr said:

I find it interesting how she has recently said that she wanted Born to Die to sound classical but none of the songs, outtakes or demos sound classical except for Million Dollar Man, Video Games and Born to Die. All of the outtakes and demos sound consistent to me, they are pop bangers, so I find it weird how vocal she has been against Born to Die’s pop production done by Emile. I feel like she was trying to find a cohesive sound for an album, which is why we have so many different versions of the songs but ultimately she never liked what was being crafted through the years. She probably did not know what she wanted and grew tired of working on her songs so she just let Emile do his own thing when he came along in the process and was like “Oh well I’m done. This is it.”

I thought the only song she disliked in it's final form was TIWMUG, I didn't knew she disliked Emile's aproach on the entire project? She always speaked so highly of him in 2012

8nl2OpX.png

actually I really really want to know if emile haynie did some of reworks of Unreleased songs besides damn you and hollywoods dead

in my Dreams driving in cars with Boys has a version made from him, and maybe some contribution on tv in Black & White and serial killer

i really think that lana reworked much more songs in 2011 2012 of her past songs made during 2007-2010, I think we still dont know very much what leakers know, that rework of driving in cars with boys in 2014 is the best possible example

1 hour ago, TheBoss said:

I thought the only song she disliked in it's final form was TIWMUG, I didn't knew she disliked Emile's aproach on the entire project? She always speaked so highly of him in 2012

She’s always talked about how paradise is miles better than born to die will ever be around the release of paradise. “I didn’t want to send my songs to be added w awful beats” she commented of paradise’s production (why it’s less pop-sounded than btd) on les inrock nov 2012 issue

Regarding the Born To Die era, I believe it all just came together as she'd just been signed to Stranger Records and they were having success with her as an indie pop artist.

She started with a viral song online, she herself says she had no idea or intention for Video Games to be the first song people heard from her, it was just a song she loved and she posted it on YouTube. She'd posted loads of other demos online in the years 2009-2011 and hadn't achieved radio or chart success - and a lot of which were reworked for her major label debut.

I imagine once signed to Stranger Records the process was more just Lana we've got a top 10 hit single in the UK, we're gonna make an album/EP, what songs do you already have? Then they probably played various tracks (we've seen the 22 track album sampler CD) to different teams, labels etc for feedback. Take that feedback into consideration alongside some of Lana's favourite tracks and a tracklist probably began to take shape.

Obviously that's tracks spanning over a 3 year period, if not longer, in which her style changes (even now each album's style shifts), so if she was making music with no project in mind then there was no need for cohesion? Also she was writing a lot of pop songs with other artists in mind, so even if it was a collection of songs that she and her team loved I imagine it was a bit messy sounding.

At this point I imagine Interscope were fully involved and they wanted to bring in a well known producer (Emile), to get all the songs re-recorded or reproduced to make a cohesive body of work. An up to date baroque pop sound which Lana genuinely seemed to adore at that time; I know her opinions on her music have changed but I don't believe for a second that she didn't love Born To Die!

So yes I can see why now she might feel like it's just a collection of songs that exist together but I think she's discredited a lot of her own work and vision as well as the creative team behind that project. 

14 minutes ago, bored said:

I imagine once signed to Stranger Records the process was more just Lana we've got a top 10 hit single in the UK, we're gonna make an album/EP, what songs do you already have? Then they probably played various tracks (we've seen the 22 track album sampler CD) to different teams, labels etc for feedback. Take that feedback into consideration alongside some of Lana's favourite tracks and a tracklist probably began to take shape.

did u mean the giardian sampler? because there were 18 tracks

5 hours ago, blackenedrussianpoetry said:

She’s always talked about how paradise is miles better than born to die will ever be around the release of paradise. “I didn’t want to send my songs to be added w awful beats” she commented of paradise’s production (why it’s less pop-sounded than btd) on les inrock nov 2012 issue

"The strength of these new songs lies in their vibes and ambiances. Unlike these of the album, you are not imposing hip hop beats that almost ruin them.

It’s a natural progress, I’m immersing into a more sixties ambiance, more Americana, more peaceful… I don’t feel like sending my songs to producers so they can add more beats to them … I want to keep them natural.

For example, I’ve never been pleased with the production on the album version of This Is What Makes Us Girls- but it’s the only one I’d work on again If I had the choice.

According to me, there’s clearly 2 albums on this new edition of Born To Die- the 8 new tracks form a new album that reflects what I am today. It’s always me, but without any makeup on."

Hmmm, idk I don't read it like that, but she just definetly wanted Paradise to be a different vibe than BTD

8nl2OpX.png

2 hours ago, TheBoss said:

"The strength of these new songs lies in their vibes and ambiances. Unlike these of the album, you are not imposing hip hop beats that almost ruin them.

It’s a natural progress, I’m immersing into a more sixties ambiance, more Americana, more peaceful… I don’t feel like sending my songs to producers so they can add more beats to them … I want to keep them natural.

For example, I’ve never been pleased with the production on the album version of This Is What Makes Us Girls- but it’s the only one I’d work on again If I had the choice.

According to me, there’s clearly 2 albums on this new edition of Born To Die- the 8 new tracks form a new album that reflects what I am today. It’s always me, but without any makeup on."

Hmmm, idk I don't read it like that, but she just definetly wanted Paradise to be a different vibe than BTD

Yeah, Maybe I do exaggerated after reading the translation. Thanks though

Hey @Unknown :hae:

You're always welcomed here and you can always come here to talk more about the outtakes and recording process from different eras! 🪐

url%5D

Poor Emile, tho. I wonder if he's aware of how does Lana feel about his job on 'Born to Die' and the thing she's said about it :awk:. I remember a few years ago, on an interview with Courtney she low-key dragged him, and said he basically ruined the original 'Blue Jeans' with his production. But at least they're on good terms, so perhaps he doesn't care.

The thing is, whether she like it or not, Emile's touch is what made the songs as timeless as they are. People started to mimic Lana's sound from that era, especifically. But I get it, we all want to sound edgy talking down about versions of ourselves from the past. We grow up, she's in a diferent place now.

I'm pretty sure if she could, she'd re-record that album the way she wanted to sound like now. And as much as I'm a hardcore Emile stan, it'd be interesting to hear a Jack Antonoff/Drew Erickson (& co) updated take on 'Born to Die', as in Taylor's re-recordings, maybe with Emile on board, as he basically crafted that whole sound :oic3:

3 minutes ago, americangothic said:

Poor Emile, tho. I wonder if he's aware of how does Lana feel about his job on 'Born to Die' and the thing she's said about it :awk:. I remember a few years ago, on an interview with Courtney she low-key dragged him, and said he basically ruined the original 'Blue Jeans' with his production. But at least they're on good terms, so perhaps he doesn't care.

The thing is, whether she like it or not, Emile's touch is what made the songs as timeless as they are. People started to mimic Lana's sound from that era, especifically. But I get it, we all want to sound edgy talking down about versions of ourselves from the past. We grow up, she's in a diferent place now.

I'm pretty sure if she could, she'd re-record that album the way she wanted to sound like now. And as much as I'm a hardcore Emile stan, it'd be interesting to hear a Jack Antonoff/Drew Erickson (& co) updated take on 'Born to Die', as in Taylor's re-recordings, maybe with Emile on board, as he basically crafted that whole sound :oic3:

a jack antonoff-produced version of born to die would be a complete trainwreck, and i say that as somebody who defends him

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

can we talk about these songs please 

Unknown Song 1: "The city streets have gotten you down".
Unknown Song 2: "Roll your windows down, flowers in my hair/Tell me that you feel the same way too, tell me what you want we can double dare".
Unknown Song 3: "Cause you are a rockstar that's what you are, you think that you'll love me maybe".

8 hours ago, americangothic said:

She should redirect that energy towards his version of National Anthem

12 hours ago, Tana Mongeau said:

eating pure vagina