partymonster

LDR Album Process Discussion

2 hours ago, Unknown said:

Wasn't sure where to post this but if anyone is interested then here's an old draft tracklist for Born to Die deluxe version from 2011

1. Born to die

2. Blue Jeans

3. Off To The Races

4. Video Games

5. Radio

6. Diet Mountain Dew

7. National Anthem

8. Dark Paradise

9. Carmen

10. This Is What Makes Us Girls

11. Million Dollar Man

12. Without You

13. Lolita

14. Summertime Sadness

15. Lucky Ones

this is actually very interesting... i'm wondering if Summertime Sadness would've been a hit and had music video if it hadn't been included on standard BTD :um2: thank u!

17 minutes ago, lanaismamom said:

tbh now im most interested in lfl 2016 tracklist:pray2: the one when best american record and love were first singles:pray2: and when it called best american record:pray2:

pls tell me im not the only one who thinks best american record lfl version outsold the nfr version 

what if the cockroaches have psychedelic pussy?

17 minutes ago, lanaismamom said:

tbh now im most interested in lfl 2016 tracklist:pray2: the one when best american record and love were first singles:pray2: and when it called best american record:pray2:

it's some i've been wishing to get since i've gotten to know about og lfl :pray2:

23 minutes ago, 132 said:

pls tell me im not the only one who thinks best american record lfl version outsold the nfr version 

pls Best american record is her top3 from the whole discography and tnbar is her worst released song because that reworked chorus made song happy, when it wasnt supposed to be so, and it killed all vibe, it shouldve been released as Best american record in lfl or not being released at all, even tho after boz explained why she actually changed chorus i at least understand why she reworked it and like it a little more:pray2:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

8 minutes ago, lanaismamom said:

pls Best american record is her top3 from the whole discography and tnbar is her worst released song because that reworked chorus made song happy, when it wasnt supposed to be so, and it killed all vibe, it shouldve been released as Best american record in lfl or not being released at all, even tho after boz explained why she actually changed chorus i at least understand why she reworked it and like it a little more:pray2:

someone share the boz tea please :creepna3:

2 minutes ago, 132 said:

someone share the boz tea please :creepna3:

BOZ: 'This is something I'd gladly discuss, but it would be mostly speculations mixed with facts.

Rich Lee was commissioned to direct music videos for 2 first singles of LFL - Love and The Next Best American Record. Love was obviously done first and sometime in late 2016/early 2017, before BAR video was recorded, someone must have either hacked or scammed Rich obtaining Love music video as well as reference audio for the BAR music video. This led to both spreading and leaking causing massive drama behind the scenes and ultimately scrapping BAR as a whole. We are "lucky" they only leaked this late, cause who knows if that happened earlier Lana might have never recorded the MV at all.

There is however the other side/reason to it that might be even stronger imo. The original TNBAR version is clearly shady and putting a lot of guilt on Barrie for the fall of their relationship. I feel like later at that time she came to realization that she might have been too hard on him - or even more, perhaps they happened to meet/talk and become friends on good terms again. The BAR video was built fully around the lyrics of the demo so when she realized she definitely wouldn't release that song without changing its narrative, the music video must be discarded. Since it was a really good visual that Lana loved and it would be a waste to just scrap it, they reused it for White Mustang. But yes, the full video was ready to be put out for The Next Best American Record.

This also might be one of the reasons for other LFL tracklist changes, but I don't know that'.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

2 minutes ago, lanaismamom said:

BOZ: 'This is something I'd gladly discuss, but it would be mostly speculations mixed with facts.

Rich Lee was commissioned to direct music videos for 2 first singles of LFL - Love and The Next Best American Record. Love was obviously done first and sometime in late 2016/early 2017, before BAR video was recorded, someone must have either hacked or scammed Rich obtaining Love music video as well as reference audio for the BAR music video. This led to both spreading and leaking causing massive drama behind the scenes and ultimately scrapping BAR as a whole. We are "lucky" they only leaked this late, cause who knows if that happened earlier Lana might have never recorded the MV at all.

There is however the other side/reason to it that might be even stronger imo. The original TNBAR version is clearly shady and putting a lot of guilt on Barrie for the fall of their relationship. I feel like later at that time she came to realization that she might have been too hard on him - or even more, perhaps they happened to meet/talk and become friends on good terms again. The BAR video was built fully around the lyrics of the demo so when she realized she definitely wouldn't release that song without changing its narrative, the music video must be discarded. Since it was a really good visual that Lana loved and it would be a waste to just scrap it, they reused it for White Mustang. But yes, the full video was ready to be put out for The Next Best American Record.

This also might be one of the reasons for other LFL tracklist changes, but I don't know that'.

OOP he came in with the good tea :true:

I imagine the songs that were on the 2016 version were:

13 Beaches

Best American Record (demo)

Cherry

Heroin

Malibu

Lust For Life (demo)

Tomorrow Never Came (demo)

Yosemite

Young And In Love

I think the record then started to shift into a more political direction with songs like God Bless America, WTWWAWWKD being recorded? I imagine it's around this time we got Beautiful People (LFL version) starting to form. There are some other political songs that we know exist that potentially were recorded around this time too.

It's at this point I feel like Stevie and Sean were added to the album as features? As well as Get Free being finalised.

Then I imagine Lust For Life (solo final), So Good and Groupie Love (demo) came around at a similar time? Lana was starting to bring in hip hop elements to the record, which had previously been described as witchy / folky. Maybe also the start of her including hip-hop artists? The Weeknd and A$AP Rocky. There's also a 3rd A$AP collab that was scrapped that could be from around this time.

Summer Bummer (with A$AP), White Mustang and In My Feelings feel like last minute additions. Dipping into that trap sound whilst referencing the G Eazy breakup. Also adding Playboi Carti to Summer Bummer.

We know Coachella and Change were both recorded quite late into the album process (after title announcement and Love release). Change being the last song recorded?

This is all speculation but who knows.

14 minutes ago, bored said:

13 Beaches

Cherry

Heroin

Malibu

Lust For Life (demo)

Yosemite

Young And In Love

I think the record then started to shift into a more political direction with songs like God Bless America, WTWWAWWKD being recorded? I imagine it's around this time we got Beautiful People (LFL version) starting to form. There are some other political songs that we know exist that potentially were recorded around this time too.

It's at this point I feel like Stevie and Sean were added to the album as features? As well as Get Free being finalised.

Then I imagine Lust For Life (solo final), So Good and Groupie Love (demo) came around at a similar time? Lana was starting to bring in hip hop elements to the record, which had previously been described as witchy / folky. Maybe also the start of her including hip-hop artists? The Weeknd and A$AP Rocky. There's also a 3rd A$AP collab that was scrapped that could be from around this time.

Summer Bummer (with A$AP), White Mustang and In My Feelings feel like last minute additions. Dipping into that trap sound whilst referencing the G Eazy breakup. Also adding Playboi Carti to Summer Bummer.

We know Coachella and Change were both recorded quite late into the album process (after title announcement and Love release). Change being the last song recorded?

trap sound and the reworks ruined the album imo, like LFL and American Record demos were so good? I'm not a massive fan so that might be why i don't really like the album version (of LFL) but lana girly...what happened :defeated:

I have personally begun to kinda love the sound of the album we got: the mix of the modern trap sound and classic btd soft-rap, with that acoustic woodstock / early seventies singer-songwriter vibe, I do love it. I even like Coachella - Woodstock in My Mind because it encapsulates the mindset; comparing the modern era (coachella) with that classic free love era (woodstock), and how we were at a time of conflict and tension, and possible revolution.

However, I would love to have gotten that spacey/60s scifi, shangri las, occult aesthetic that was teased at the start of the era. 

I think this tracklist makes a real cohesive album that captures the spirit of the 70's as well as modern times both politically and sonically. With that hazy summer / free spirit vibe that flows throughout.

01. Love

02. Lust For Life (ft. The Weeknd)

03. Cherry

04. Groupie Love (ft. A$AP Rocky)

05. Coachella - Woodstock In My Mind

06. God Bless America - And All The Beautiful Women In It

07. Tomorrow Never Came (ft. Sean Ono Lennon)

08. Yosemite

09. When The World Was At War We Kept Dancing

10. Heroin

11. Change

12. Beautiful People, Beautiful Problems (ft. Stevie Nicks)

13. Get Free

1 hour ago, lanaismamom said:

YES

This and also the earliest stage of the album

Like serene queen

What if she never scrapped it and continued that witchy sound/vibe with the whole album like omfg we were robbed

Just imagine the music videos :defeated:

Leak How to disappear (Piano Version)

50 minutes ago, bored said:

13 Beaches

Cherry

Heroin

Malibu

Lust For Life (demo)

Yosemite

Young And In Love

oh heads up Cherry wasn’t recorded until March 2017!

8 minutes ago, bored said:

I think this tracklist makes a real cohesive album that captures the spirit of the 70's as well as modern times both politically and sonically. With that hazy summer / free spirit vibe that flows throughout.

01. Love

02. Lust For Life (ft. The Weeknd)

03. Cherry

04. Groupie Love (ft. A$AP Rocky)

05. Coachella - Woodstock In My Mind

06. God Bless America - And All The Beautiful Women In It

07. Tomorrow Never Came (ft. Sean Ono Lennon)

08. Yosemite

09. When The World Was At War We Kept Dancing

10. Heroin

11. Change

12. Beautiful People, Beautiful Problems (ft. Stevie Nicks)

13. Get Free

honestly my biggest turn off for the album is the fact it has 4 features, idk i just hate features for some reason :twirls:

@bored your posts inspired me to dig out this old timeline I pieced together using pieces of information and clues Lana dropped about writing Lust for Life! Though a bit outdated in terms of speculation as we’ve gotten more leaks and insider info related to the album over the years, I think this could be an accurate timeline for the songs and we can see where things took shape -

On 1/10/2018 at 8:17 PM, IanadeIrey said:

Hey everyone!
One thing I love to do is look at Lana's activity from when she was working on a record or what she says about working on a record and use that evidence to help formulate a timeline of when she began or finished writing songs on that record. 

I feel like LFL was the perfect record to do this with, considering Lana was pretty active outside of the studio with this record, and a lot of it deals with themes that were very current and had to do with the real world.

Please share your ideas and thoughts and discuss! 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

September 2015 - November 2015
“Lust for Life" (solo, "art song" version)
-Lana states that this was the first song she wrote for the record
-in an interview with KROQ in July 2017, Lana states that she began working on the record the day she put out “Honeymoon”

December 2015 - February 2016
“Heroin”
-December 2015, Lana attends a Motley Crüe concert (“Life rocked me like Motley”)
-February 2016, Lana talks about “a clarity of inner dialogue” regarding her new album during a Billboard event
-that same event, her hair resembles that of an iconic look of Sharon Tate, whose death is referenced in the song (“Writing in blood on all my walls…” She also told Billboard mag in October 2015 that she was asked to play the role of Sharon Tate in a film

March 2016
“Get Free”
-Originally titled “Malibu” - Lana was spotted in Malibu frequently during this time, and the song was regarded as an earlier, darker track in the Billboard 2017 interview

-She posted about being in the studio this month 

April 2016
“Love”
-Lana spotted with Emile Haynie frequently
-Love lyrics tweeted by insider/leaker as early as April 2016

“Groupie Love”
-Lana saw A$AP Rocky perform at Coachella, and has stated that she was inspired by Rocky’s “groupie” female fans

May 2016

“13 Beaches”/"Something Real"
-Lana spent a lot of time on the beach during Spring 2016 and in the Billboard 2017 interview, this was regarded as an earlier, darker track.

-She posted about being in the studio this month

(cr: @@Eclipse for month/year)

June 2016

"Yosemite"

-I know it's not on the record, but Lana was spotted at Yosemite National Park on June 13, 2016 with Chuck and Stella, so maybe around this time, she was inspired to write Yosemite?

July - August 2016
“13 Beaches” (also worked on in summer?)
as Paris Match Mag stated that Lana wrote the song “last summer” in spring 2017

September 2016
“Lust for Life” (recording with The Weeknd)
-Lana stated in an interview Zane Lowe for Beats Radio 1 that he jumped on the track soon after his dramatic haircut
-it was also around this time that Lana most likely recorded her vocals for The Weeknd's album, Starboy, which she featured on "Party Monster" and "Stargirl (Interlude)"

September 2016 - January 2017

“God Bless America - And All the Beautiful Women In It”
-Lana talked a lot about the importance of politics on social media and this was most likely the record’s “stylistic turn” she referred to in a KROQ interview in July 2017

October 2016
"Groupie Love"
-potentially re-recorded Rocky verse done during this time which was stated to be done 6 months after initial recording (potentially April 2016) in interview with Zane Lowe for Beats Radio 1

October 2016 - November 2016

"Best American Record"/"Architecture" VIDEO

- Again, not on the record, but I thought it should be included.

- I don't have any evidence as to when this track could have been potentially written but the video (which turned out to be for White Mustang) was most likely filmed in Oct/Nov 2016, so it was done before then. I would say it was an earlier track, so it could be anywhere from September 2015 (assuming it was a song written after HM) to the time the video was filmed

- lyrics posted on November 27, 2016:  http://lanaboards.com/index.php?/statuses/user/1645-eclipse/?status_id=109008

November 2016 - January 2017
"Groupie Love"
- another potential date, as Lana also saw A$AP Rocky at Camp Flog Gnaw Carnival with Stella in Nov. 2016 (seeing his female fans go wild for him, inspiring the song, as Lana has said)

“When the World Was at War We Kept Dancing”
-The timeframe between Trump’s election and appointment in office, and the song is a commentary and staying hopeful in the era of Trump

January 2017
“Tomorrow Never Came”
-Most likely worked on in 2016, but it is known that Sean Ono Lennon added his production and vocals around this time

March - April 2017
“Cherry”
-Stated that this was written “at the end of the record” in interview with Zane Lowe for Beats Radio 1
-finished before May 18, 2017

"Roses Bloom For You"

-Again, not on the record, but in a snippet Lana posted on Instagram in June 2017, she stated that she wrote the song in March in the caption. 

“Coachella - Woodstock in My Mind”
-Began on Lana’s way home from Coachella on April 17, 2017
-Possibly worked on in May 2017 as well

“Beautiful People Beautiful Problems”
-Registered in 2015, possibly worked on with Justin Parker in 2012 OR Nov. 2015

- News of collab with Stevie Nicks broke in late April 2017, most likely track already had Stevie’s vocals ready in early-mid April 2017 before news was revealed

May  - June 2017
"Groupie Love"
-potentially re-recorded Rocky verse done during this time which was stated to be done 6 months after initial recording (potentially November 2016) in interview with Zane Lowe for Beats Radio 1

“Summer Bummer”
-one of the last songs for the record, considering the record “loosened up” as it progressed

-features "Magnolia" vocal stems from Playboi Carti, which was released in April 2017

-one version finished before June 2, 2017 (snippet posted that day)

“In My Feelings”
-after G-Eazy and Lana’s break-up in May 2017

“White Mustang”
-written about Barrie James O’Neill OR G-Eazy (most likely the latter, with Lana’s “AND IT WASN’T EVEN THAT GOOD!” comment at the Denver Show on 1/7/18)
-finished before June 8, 2017

“Change”
-last song written for the record
-written on June 8 at approx 8:00 PM and finished on June 9 at 2:00 AM (June 8 is the same day the WM snippet was posted, her cap and makeup from the recording sessions are the same as the snippet, a fan also saw her that day, confirming the date)