partymonster

LDR Album Process Discussion

Oh we were robbed! wtf was she thinking with that god awful tour bus cover wtf. Even the UO cover isn’t that great cause she looks angry as fuk.

I love Lana but she is not a cover queen. I’ve never been impressed with any of heralbum covers, maybe the exception of Paradise. Even her single covers are miles better than the album covers.

Oh and what was the Chuck shot for UV?

I love the Honeymoon UO cover. I don't think she has an angry face, it looks very calm to me (but I can see how ppl might see it as a resting bitch face). It's very classic and gives off a strong honeymoon vibe with her hat and sunny yellow tones. 

My feelings about the UO cover is more to do with the quality of Urban's "exclusive" pressings. They're a joke lol. They are mastered and pressed by someone who's obviously an amateur. No care was taken in handling those releases.

I could be wrong and I haven’t read all the above replies but if I remember correctly, the Untouchable 5 were from the UV Version 1 album and she changed a lot (including adding West Coast and a few other tracks with Aurbachs touches) but she felt upset and even at one point threatened not to make another record because of the leak. I think she said she didn’t want to finish it and was going to shelf it and I guess she happened to have met Dan A. around the time and she re-wrote some songs, which could mean Ultraviolence was meant to be a different sounding track more along the lines of FMWUTTT (because of the hidden backing vocals from that song).

I don't think there ever was an original UV, I think she began making the album and recorded songs like Black Beauty, Hollywood, AFFA etc. All which I assume were going to be part of an album up until they leaked. Even after the leak she said that she was still gonna put them on the album and see what happens.

She said that UV was finished and that she booked a studio session with Dan last minute and then recorded two songs Cruel World and PWYC. These songs changed her vision for the albums sound and so she worked with Dan and re-recorded the original album, hence why the UV version of Black Beauty is different and why she said that Hollywood leaked with the wrong production (Dan must've reworked it in these sessions and it was cut from the final tracklist). Also why the original mix of West Coast was released as a radio mix cos the production was different.

I think it was also at this point of working with Dan, that her vision for the album art had changed, hence the change in artwork?

My feelings about the UO cover is more to do with the quality of Urban's "exclusive" pressings. They're a joke lol. They are mastered and pressed by someone who's obviously an amateur. No care was taken in handling those releases.

I personally love the alternate "hipster" pressing of UV, however the Honeymoon UO exclusive was a let down  :toofunny:

They sound horrible though! If you want it just for the packaging, I see no harm in that, but the sound quality on the vinyl is awful. Get the European pressing on black vinyl. The sound is perfect!

They sound horrible though! If you want it just for the packaging, I see no harm in that, but the sound quality on the vinyl is awful. Get the European pressing on black vinyl. The sound is perfect!

I'm in the UK, I just have the UO copies for collector purposes really  :toofunny: I always listen to Lana on black vinyl aha

i wasn't too deep in the lana fandom when UV was coming out and WC premiered (i didn't even know this site existed or that there was such a grand following for her online), but i have to say i love learning about all the history through her career, or at least what we know/what we speculate about it.

i always got excited for her releases but have to say that i feel like the UV cover could have been better, but it fits the mood i associate with it

(i see UV as like an arrival point, storywise. like BTD was baby lana living on the east coast, paradise was her transition to west coast, UV is after she's been there for a while (alone in a new place, nothing to do but think and overthink), then HM is like a persona almost, but maybe a grownup version of the BTD persona, then LFL is lana catching up to 2018 and opening up)

then the HM cover kind of makes sense, i do love it in a way and don't like the alts mentioned above because it has the same filtering from UV aesthetic which makes it stuck, so maybe like a different subtle filter? it was just like a really crisp, IG post picture so it was slightly missing something. i wish the font was a cursive though...

insanity laughs under pressure -- we're cracking

I love the "Untouchable 5" so much. It's a shame she didn't continue with them, but I'm also glad she didn't because I doubt we'd have got Ultraviolence as we know it and it's one of my favourite albums from her.

No one is really mentioning some of the songs that are really important when it comes to talking about the original idea of Ultraviolence: Fine China, Yes to Heaven, Your Girl (and some other tracks we know like I Talk To Jesus or the rumoured Trans Am or Living Legend).

I think there are several scrapped versions of Ultraviolence. First we have the pre-leaked idea of Ultraviolence, then the post-leaked idea of Ultraviolence and then the final Ultraviolence that we all know. I think the pre-leaked idea of Ultraviolence had a Paradise vibe with songs like Angels Forever or the Black Beauty demo. Then, the post-leaked idea of Ultraviolence probably had the Ultraviolence songs that weren't produced by Auerbach and demos of the songs Auerbach later produced and were released. She's said several times she thought she had done with the album back in 2013 and it was pretty much produced by Rick Nowels (she announced the album title at the Tropico premiere the first week of December) but then she met Auerbach and decided to go to Nasville to re-work the album with him (and if I'm not wrong I think she said she met Dan in mid December).

So, I think we had

UV1: Angels Forever, Black Beauty, Living Legend, Trans Am (and maybe some of the leaked tracks but not really from the Untouchable 5)

UV2: Fine China, Yes To Heaven, Your Girl, I Talk To Jesus, West Coast (demo that was meant to be scrapped), Guns And Roses, Is This Happiness, Old Money, maybe the Blake tracks (PWYC, Flipside and a Cruel World demo?) and demos of the songs that were released but produced by Rick (SOC demo, Sad Girl demo...)

Final UV: The album we know

I believe it was likely just an early concept of what UV became (a bit like Honeymoon when she refered to it as MTWBT). AFFA, Black Beauty and Hollywood are the confirmed UV tracks though? On insta live last year she confirmed that Hollywood leaked with the wrong production (pre-UV) and suggests that Dan produced a final version?

So this song was originally on Rick's site as "Hollywood-KM-mix-015" WHICH leads me to believe it was a Kieron Menzies-produced version, since he works with Rick. This was probably the version he turned in for consideration, but the "final" version (which we still don't have) was done by Rick Himself. God I want this version. Hollywood is top 3 FOAT.

maybe its the right thread to discuss this - JFK, Starry Eyed, I Don't Wanna Go and Wild One are Paradise outtakes? made for her second studio album but during Paradise sessions? outtakes for both projects? (not included Hollywood as this was recorded after Paradise was released)
we have this discussion for forever but never got any clarification and always had a large space for speculations on this theme - we need answers finally:defeated::oprah2::justride:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

38 minutes ago, lanaismamom said:

maybe its the right thread to discuss this - JFK, Starry Eyed, I Don't Wanna Go and Wild One are Paradise outtakes? made for her second studio album but during Paradise sessions? outtakes for both projects? (not included Hollywood as this was recorded after Paradise was released)
we have this discussion for forever but never got any clarification and always had a large space for speculations on this theme - we need answers finally:defeated::oprah2::justride:

When it comes to Lana, it’s always going to be difficult to determine which songs were meant for which album because she records all the time. The day HM was out, she took a break in the studio to give an interview. But that doesn’t mean that that song was meant for LFL. And I don’t even think Lana herself could provide answers to what songs were part of which project, because she records songs until she has a clear idea of what she wants the album to be… until it changes again. For example, is Serene Queen part of LFL or an early song prior to it? 
another point to consider: if Lana is dating a musician while recording, the sound and songs of the album can be heavily influenced… and even more so if they breakup mid creation (Barrie, GEazy…).
the untouchable 5 were meant for Paradise’s follow up, until the leak, that we know because she commented on it. But who knows if they would have been on it after she had met Dan (and without the leak)

7 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

When it comes to Lana, it’s always going to be difficult to determine which songs were meant for which album because she records all the time. The day HM was out, she took a break in the studio to give an interview. But that doesn’t mean that that song was meant for LFL. And I don’t even think Lana herself could provide answers to what songs were part of which project, because she records songs until she has a clear idea of what she wants the album to be… until it changes again. For example, is Serene Queen part of LFL or an early song prior to it? 
another point to consider: if Lana is dating a musician while recording, the sound and songs of the album can be heavily influenced… and even more so if they breakup mid creation (Barrie, GEazy…).
the untouchable 5 were meant for Paradise’s follow up, until the leak, that we know because she commented on it. But who knows if they would have been on it after she had met Dan (and without the leak)

oh yeah for sure these songs wasnt meant for UV as we have it released, she had experemental sessions until like may-june 2013 so these songs are just seek of sound, but it techically would be UV outtakes just because they arent paradise outtakes which sessions ended in september 2012 the least, sure there another TROPICO EP which was supposed to include more songs, yeah thats an arbitrary question, but i just need to know if these 4 songs ever meant to be include in paradise or this was the beggining and seek of sound for further record

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y