Elle

Lana to release two new songs: ‘Mariners Apartment Complex’ & ‘Venice Bitch’ (out next week)

Yes it makes sense but when will you people learn Lana never does promo that makes any sense at all?? She was probably just bored yesterday and was like okay time to give the gays what they want. Every era everyone expects well thought out promo and we just ain't getting it

That’s exactly why she’d do it. This is barely any promo. It’s not a stretch either. She played Honeymoon prior to release. Same with West Coast. It’s not anything huge. There’s no cameras besides her fans. Nobody in the gp would know besides the hardcore one. It’s a simple thing she’s done before. There is no other promo I could really see her doing either. It’s easy, simple, & effective because it’s just for fans. It’s literally less promo than the last era too. Hell she had the LFL trucks last era.

Also do y’all want think Starry Eyed is gonna be released for this lil kids?!? :toofunny:

tumblr_put6epa8mC1uz4347o9_500.gif

Saw a post about this on Instagram that I thought was interesting but haven’t seen anyone talk about it yet on this thread (maybe I’m mistaken but I did skim through it)

It appears “Mariners Apartment Complex” is a play on ‘Maritime Apartment Complex’ where her 2014 “I wish I was dead already” Complex interview took place.

This makes sense with the “you took my sadness out of context” lyric.

Edit: just noticed that someone posted about this in the lyrics thread for this song, but I’ll leave this post up anyway for people who haven’t been checking in that thread

Lmfaooooooo I love this. This is a level of bitterness that I could never dream to achieve. I mean he fully deserves it but imagine being petty enough to write a song about a lame interviewer from 4 YEARS AGO. Ultimate queen I love her

ZKcaooE.png

OK....I'm kinda pumped for this.. 

It's not really grunge or psychedelic which were my ideal genres, but those were still some unrealistic expectations that I made up in my head...However, it's really folky and surfy and chill which is all that I wanted other that the 2 things mentioned above, so it's fucking great. 

I love the snippet very much, I like the lack of filters on her voice, I like the melody and the instrumental, and I definetly love the lyrics. Better that some LFL ones for sure. 

The aesthetics are really nice too, vintage, grainy, black and white...Like West Coast but a chiller, more laid back and relaxed version, which is great. 

Now, I think that this song and the other are just some standalone singles to close out the summer as she said, and I also don't think MAC is Yosemite because the notes of the chorus of Yosemite don't really fit into the melody of Mac...She just probably recycled that ''candle in the wind'' lyric, because we all know how Lana recycles lyrics and has the same lyric in a lot of different songs.

Can't wait to see what's next, this definetly got me hooked and it made me not worry for Jack anymore...I had my doubts but he definetly delivered with this production. 

to be fair we can't neccessarily judge the sound of a record off 1 song anymore- not unless LfL was a one time thing. Love felt like a honeymoon paced BtD fusion with the instrumental, LfL was the most "modern" sound she's ever taken- not even a few tracks beyond that we have a pure trap song with a spanish guitar balanced track further down, suited against a strict piano ballad & a folk-pop duet. 

this could very well be the more 'acoustic' and stripped back side of a grunge or surf rock record

Saw a post about this on Instagram that I thought was interesting but haven’t seen anyone talk about it yet on this thread (maybe I’m mistaken but I did skim through it)

It appears “Mariners Apartment Complex” is a play on ‘Maritime Apartment Complex’ where her 2014 “I wish I was dead already” Complex interview took place.

This makes sense with the “you took my sadness out of context” lyric.

Edit: just noticed that someone posted about this in the lyrics thread for this song, but I’ll leave this post up anyway for people who haven’t been checking in that thread

When i first heard it my instant thought was the interview, the "out of context" just felt so ripe; it seems a bit weird to fit into a song that's overall happy in aura & transitional in tone (as per reporters & lana). I wouldn't think referencing one of the worst events in her career would be cathartic of any sort. 

as soon as I heard the 'out of context' part I was like... woah....... its about the death interview. But why did she change the name from 'maritime' to 'mariners apartment complex'? they both have the same number of syllables so it wasn't for the rhythm.

also, and no hate intended, why did she say that to the reporter? was it just something tht kinda slipped out? or was the reporter taking things out of proportion?  :ohno:

tumblr_lj6u4h4gsC1qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

I'm getting Chelsea Hotel No. 2 teas with this one

I remember you well

At the Chelsea Hotel

You took my sadness out of context

at the Mariners Apartment Complex

Y’all she was probably gonna sing these 2 songs at the Israel concert & announce the new album there. It makes sense promo wise. Announce single, tease single, play live & announce album title, hype builds, drops single + another single to create even more hype. It’s also probably why she was so dead set on Israel as it was literally part of the promotion plan to play there. On top of that, it’d make sense for the other one to be HIAB since she’d be “on tour” their singing to her “babies”.

Some random festival in Israel with no stream that no one was paying attention to prior to the controversy to announce the album? This seems incredibly unlikely and ill-advised.

Tweeting the title and date generated more hype than her saying it onstage at a random show

BzhmW.png

as soon as I heard the 'out of context' part I was like... woah....... its about the death interview. But why did she change the name from 'maritime' to 'mariners apartment complex'? they both have the same number of syllables so it wasn't for the rhythm.

also, and no hate intended, why did she say that to the reporter? was it just something tht kinda slipped out? or was the reporter taking things out of proportion?  :ohno:

Just a personal theory that's already been probably discussed but as soon as I read the title my immediate reaction was to google maps it. And fair enough I found a result, it's a complex just near Marina Del Rey (lol she rly isn't subtle if this was on purpose) in Venice. If you combine it with her Venice Bitch tshirt, I doubt it's a coincidence! The reason, I don't know, could be she didn't wanted it to be obvious (but she should know Lana stans are ravenous stalkers) or she just wanted another reason to sing about damn Los Angeles

ZKcaooE.png

Another note I've been thinking about since watching the video (& again I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned in the thread) but I would definitely not be surprised if the video is another Best American Record/White Mustang situation where the video was originally intended for 'Happiness is a Butterfly' and then was scrapped for 'Mariners Apartment Complex' since the video features butterflies and was shot shortly after Lana teased HiaB, which has now been deleted from her instagram.

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

Some random festival in Israel with no stream that no one was paying attention to prior to the controversy to announce the album? This seems incredibly unlikely and ill-advised.

Tweeting the title and date generated more hype than her saying it onstage at a random show

Exactly! Y’all acting brand new like Lana is logical. When she played Honeymoon in Florida it wasn’t streamed. Unless y’all count periscopes.

tumblr_put6epa8mC1uz4347o9_500.gif

This isn't part of a new album I don't think, she'd cultivate way more hype for a lead single. Definitely just two songs/outtakes left to us until a summer 2019 album release perhaps

My thoughts exactly. 

Kind of, but we knew about it and that it was coming sooner than later since we got the full lyrics on the tour booklet + she sang some of it at the last date of Endless Summer. Not to mention the brand new Honeymoon account that posted two snippets within days of each other

Oh god I watched the shit out of those snippets, I was morbidly obsessed with them. Too bad I got over the album itself like 3-4 weeks tops after the release  :thumb: There's some good tracks on it for sure but also some [that are mediocre at best] I haven't listened in years.

So whilst we're talking about singles, can we confirm which songs have actually been released as singles, cos there's so many buzz singles and non single music videos, I get confused :facepalm:

This is how I have it

Video Games

Born To Die

Blue Jeans

National Anthem

Summertime Sadness

Ride

Dark Paradise

West Coast

Ultraviolence

Brooklyn Baby

Black Beauty

High By The Beach

Music To Watch Boys To

Love

Lust For Life

Summer Bummer

Mariners Apartment Complex

You should add at least "Young and Beautiful" to the list, which reached the no. 1 spot in the US. As far as singles are concerned I'm not so sure since the lines seem to have blurred nowadays so you never know if a song is a "real" single or "just" a promo single ... or just a song. :)

We love that her songs are so personal but creating a song over the complex interview seems way too much of a compliment to that dickhead tbh

Another note I've been thinking about since watching the video (& again I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned in the thread) but I would definitely not be surprised if the video is another Best American Record/White Mustang situation where the video was originally intended for 'Happiness is a Butterfly' and then was scrapped for 'Mariners Apartment Complex' since the video features butterflies and was shot shortly after Lana teased HiaB, which has now been deleted from her instagram.

The melodies to me aren't very different? Maybe reworked into this? But still about sadness and the pursuit of happiness

lanasigfinal_zpsfd0fc6ee.png

If this is the new lead from an album, then I'm guessing there's an ocean/freedom/surfing vibe... kinda like A.K.A. era (The Ocean, Wayamaya, Mermaid Motel etc)

Get Free ending with the sound of waves and birds and her singing that she wants to move into the blue

Referring to this as her blue phase earlier this year

The waves in the teaser video on Instagram

"Mariners Apartment Complex" has some tie to being by the sea

I'm so excited for the return of Lizzy Grant

tyra_falls_sm.gif

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif