Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

Did we ever get any confirmation that NFR is actually done and all tracks are like mastered and ready to go? Maybe she didn't feel happy with the current iteration of it and decided to push back the date, which could either mean rushed Garageband tracks or really refined ones with lots of time put into it

You're right: we know nothing when it comes to her process. The snippets we heard might not even be all finished at the moment. I also suspect she is a bit more «scattered» with her other projects this time around (she mentioned so many in her interview) and Jack and her are working like 7 days per month on NFR... Could explain why it's a longer process this time around. We all wanted her to record with another producer, didn'T we? 

Why do we all think she's gonna change the album? Other than she did it with Lust For Life (1 out of 5 records thus far). If we do get a trap record produced by Rick with In My Feelings 2.0 aimed at Azealia Banks, I'm holding all of you responsible for doubting her and constantly mentioning it.

The album obviously wasn't finished in September, but she wanted to drop two finished songs for fans cos she felt it was the right time of year for them. She's teased several songs all sharing the same sonic palette, or at least I ain't heard any trap beats yet? The album is most likely done and she's just having a break for the holidays, maybe finalising her poetry book before the Gucci campaign and album roll out begins.

And I think the Machine Gun Kelly was probably for his project or will never see the light of day (like a lot of her songs).

Remember, she scrapped Ultraviolence and reworked the whole thing. Born To Die was originally God Bless America or some shit. She does this every album. Honeymoon was originally a record called Music To Watch Boys To. She always does this. Maybe not as drastic as LFL but she usually gets to a stopping point and wants to do more on the album.

I think she said that How To Disappear was the last song, she and Jack had done, in an interview - however she didn't give detail as to whether she meant the last song recorded for the album or the most recent song they'd created.

If the March release date is true it's likely that the album is in the final stages of mastering, hence why she's so quiet on social media.

And she did state, HTD was the last song they did for the record.

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

Is this binch for real? Why release songs months ago if we would have to wait til the end of March? I'm suing

I must admit that a 6 month+ -pre-release period is super long. I was hoping for January, but January records tend to not sell that well or go unnoticed. February was plausible. At least now we know it should be March. 

Remember, she scrapped Ultraviolence and reworked the whole thing. Born To Die was originally God Bless America or some shit. She does this every album. Honeymoon was originally a record called Music To Watch Boys To. She always does this. Maybe not as drastic as LFL but she usually gets to a stopping point and wants to do more on the album.

I mean Ultraviolence wasn't necessarily scrapped, we know this cos of the alternate versions of West Coast, Black Beauty, Money Power Glory etc. A few tracks from the sessions leaked and then she met Dan to record some more songs, Cruel World and Pretty When You Cry, last minute - and she realised his production was more fitting and therefore they re-recorded the original album and added a couple of songs and in that instance it seems to have been for the better. There was the danger that Ultraviolence originally sounded too much like Paradise and that sonic shift with Dan was perfect for her.

Born To Die was always going to be a mixed bag, mainly because she had so much material to chose from at that time - I don't think the title change necessarily means the whole project was changed. Even scrapped songs like You Can Be The Boss don't stray too far from the sonic palette of Born To Die.

With Honeymoon, Music To Watch Boys To always seemed like an early concept and was one of the first tracks she recorded for the album. If I remember correctly she also stated that she had an idea for a record called Music To Watch Boys To, not specifying whether the term record meant album or singular song.

I agree, that Lust For Life was the most drastic change and seemed to be forever evolving and I think that was due to her trying to force positivity into a project. Sadly in this case, I think Lust For Life changed for the worse (or at least I assume - we haven't actually heard much from the earlier drafts of the album). Obviously we know songs like 13 Beaches and Best American Record are from the original sessions but other than that other confirmed tracks seem to just be demos of the final songs.

I just think that people are being a bit hyperbolic, who's to say if she has changed the sound that it isn't going to be even better (like Ultraviolence) and how do we know the shift in sound didn't already occur pre-Mariners Apartment Complex release.

I mean Ultraviolence wasn't necessarily scrapped, we know this cos of the alternate versions of West Coast, Black Beauty, Money Power Glory etc. A few tracks from the sessions leaked and then she met Dan to record some more songs, Cruel World and Pretty When You Cry, last minute - and she realised his production was more fitting and therefore they re-recorded the original album and added a couple of songs and in that instance it seems to have been for the better. There was the danger that Ultraviolence originally sounded too much like Paradise and that sonic shift with Dan was perfect for her.

Born To Die was always going to be a mixed bag, mainly because she had so much material to chose from at that time - I don't think the title change necessarily means the whole project was changed. Even scrapped songs like You Can Be The Boss don't stray too far from the sonic palette of Born To Die.

With Honeymoon, Music To Watch Boys To always seemed like an early concept and was one of the first tracks she recorded for the album. If I remember correctly she also stated that she had an idea for a record called Music To Watch Boys To, not specifying whether the term record meant album or singular song.

I agree, that Lust For Life was the most drastic change and seemed to be forever evolving and I think that was due to her trying to force positivity into a project. Sadly in this case, I think Lust For Life changed for the worse (or at least I assume - we haven't actually heard much from the earlier drafts of the album). Obviously we know songs like 13 Beaches and Best American Record are from the original sessions but other than that other confirmed tracks seem to just be demos of the final songs.

I just think that people are being a bit hyperbolic, who's to say if she has changed the sound that it isn't going to be even better (like Ultraviolence) and how do we know the shift in sound didn't already occur pre-Mariners Apartment Complex release.

I agree with you tho, I’d rather her take her time and give us a GREAT album rather than just a good one. I think UV happened to have had that happen and yeah, while some tracks were reworked with different production, it still sounded like a different record than she originally intended. I think in a way that’s why she worked so fast to get HM together and ready (hell, she started talking about it 2 weeks after UV dropped) and I’ve noticed, when she makes albums for herself, that’s when she’s being the most creative and making her best work. This time, I think she’s doing this album for the hell of it. She said she had some writer’s block at the beginning of the year until she met Jack.

We might’ve not been getting another record from her for a while after LFL, which we have Jack to thank for this album cycle. But I also say we have him to blame for not letting that unreleased album go through like she said (although she says lots of things she doesn’t mean). All in all I think this one is going to sonically be different from anything she’s ever done and that’s a good thing, whether we “stan” for it or are just here to hear the fuckin music. I think that’s the most important part, aside from all these “stan wars” and “I stan WIIIIIIGGGGG” shit. The music is the more important thing and if she’s ready to put it out in March, that’s when we’ll get the BEST version of NFR (but I hope there’s demos that can leak at some point..... lol)

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

We might’ve not been getting another record from her for a while after LFL, which we have Jack to thank for this album cycle. But I also say we have him to blame for not letting that unreleased album go through like she said (although she says lots of things she doesn’t mean). All in all I think this one is going to sonically be different from anything she’s ever done and that’s a good thing, whether we “stan” for it or are just here to hear the fuckin music. I think that’s the most important part, aside from all these “stan wars” and “I stan WIIIIIIGGGGG” shit. The music is the more important thing and if she’s ready to put it out in March, that’s when we’ll get the BEST version of NFR (but I hope there’s demos that can leak at some point..... lol)

I think it was very clear after Lust For Life that new music was imminent - she teased the idea of releasing Best American Record and Yosemite in the summer after the album release. And very early on this year she confirmed that she'd written new songs. One of them being Happiness Is A Butterfly, which I assume at one point was going to be a single.

Like the summer folk singles, the Unreleased album didn't materialise and I wouldn't blame Jack. That was very much Lana being Lana. However, she did state it was just an idea and didn't necessarily confirm a date or time to expect it - she just suggested the idea. Fans assumed it was coming within the year.

I think Norman Fucking Rockwell will be a sonic departure and a step in the right direction, Lust For Life was far from perfect but it's obvious that it was an important part of her career - even just for the commercial appeal to the general public.

Like I've said, at this point it's safe to assume that the album is complete and most likely being mastered. Obviously some songs were finished and mastered in September when she released the singles. Yeah, she might be in the studio, but this is Lana, like you've said, within weeks of Ultraviolence being released she was already talking about Honeymoon and during the Lust For Life promo she confirmed that the title track was written when she released Honeymoon. She's forever working on music.

Also I wouldn't get your hopes up for Norman Fucking Rockwell demos. We're only just getting Ultraviolence demos ahaha. There's two more albums worth in between.

I think we'll need to keep in mind, for the future, that she doesn't do anything like anyone. A song teased on social medias could still be a long way from an official release. 

Shout out to Happiness Is A Butterfly from March, we've legit heard the chorus and 2 verses as well as more lyrics being teased on Twitter. Yet no release ahaha.

I think it was very clear after Lust For Life that new music was imminent - she teased the idea of releasing Best American Record and Yosemite in the summer after the album release. And very early on this year she confirmed that she'd written new songs. One of them being Happiness Is A Butterfly, which I assume at one point was going to be a single.

Like the summer folk singles, the Unreleased album didn't materialise and I wouldn't blame Jack. That was very much Lana being Lana. However, she did state it was just an idea and didn't necessarily confirm a date or time to expect it - she just suggested the idea. Fans assumed it was coming within the year.

I think Norman Fucking Rockwell will be a sonic departure and a step in the right direction, Lust For Life was far from perfect but it's obvious that it was an important part of her career - even just for the commercial appeal to the general public.

Like I've said, at this point it's safe to assume that the album is complete and most likely being mastered. Obviously some songs were finished and mastered in September when she released the singles. Yeah, she might be in the studio, but this is Lana, like you've said, within weeks of Ultraviolence being released she was already talking about Honeymoon and during the Lust For Life promo she confirmed that the title track was written when she released Honeymoon. She's forever working on music.

Also I wouldn't get your hopes up for Norman Fucking Rockwell demos. We're only just getting Ultraviolence demos ahaha. There's two more albums worth in between.

I'll be an old lady in a wheelchair by the time we get Honeymoon demos..

But then again we do have a LFL demo so you never know!

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

Shout out to Happiness Is A Butterfly from March, we've legit heard the chorus and 2 verses as well as more lyrics being teased on Twitter. Yet no release ahaha.

What also threw me off, this time around, is that 2 reliable sources stated in January that she would release an album in 2018 made of new and unreleased / unleaked songs. Maybe it was the original plan, but sure as hell changed. Plus she mentioned 2 new titles in February (Bartender and Sylvia), plus the HIaB teasing... I was sure LDR6 was upon us haha.

If the end of March date is real, then it would explain why she is so quiet these days: things will surely pick up in January and the pause is kinda necessary I guess. Plus she has the Gucci campaign in Jan. and her poetry book at some point. 

What also threw me off, this time around, is that 2 reliable sources stated in January that she would release an album in 2018 made of new and unreleased / unleaked songs. Maybe it was the original plan, but sure as hell changed. Plus she mentioned 2 new titles in February (Bartender and Sylvia), plus the HIaB teasing... I was sure LDR6 was upon us haha.

If the end of March date is real, then it would explain why she is so quiet these days: things will surely pick up in January and the pause is kinda necessary I guess. Plus she has the Gucci campaign in Jan. and her poetry book at some point. 

Yeah, I think the unreleased album was always just speculation. Those sources I assume were just going off of the rumours, and I do believe that perhaps the new record was going to be released this year, Happiness Is A Butterfly obviously had a music video shot and she was teasing it as her new song. That's why I think the sonic shift (if there was one) may have already occurred... Cos since then the snippets and singles have been very Jack.

Sylvia Plath (or at that time Sylvia) was also rumoured to be a single in May, which would make sense if it's going to be the second single now. And I can only assume that either Bartender didn't make the cut as she described it as weird and said it didn't have a home, or it inspired the shift in sound and is a part of the album. Only time will tell.

I'm expecting the album in March, with the Gucci campaign in January she's going to be doing a lot of press etc. and like I said that's perfect to promote an upcoming album. Hopefully over the holidays she's finalising the album if it's not already done and poetry book (if we ever get it).

when is she performing im so tired  :toofunny:  :toofunny:  :toofunny:

Nobody is sure, however there are updates in the other thread. That's probably more reliable than here aha.

I know but just imagine what the demo of VB would sound like. Ugghhh. I can only imagine what these tracks could sound like as a demo.

I do think the album is done and in final mixing stages if she’s not 100% done already. The vocals, ideas, etc is far past done. The next few weeks will tell us what she has in store for the album.

I’m thankful for this album being made with Jack though because he has the right production style and I can tell it’s just fun for him to make more instrumentals that’ll actually be used by someone who appreciates it. Not that the other artists he’s worked with don’t but I think he can tell she has a different appreciation of the actual music and sound he wants to make. You can hear it in her voice on VB, it’s just fun for them both. I’d rather he work with him than someone she’s worked with for close to 7-8 years now.

At the same time, I’d like for her to collaborate with Dan Aurbach and Jack on the same track. Just imagine the deep, heavy bass guitars with Jack’s synth production. Ughhh. I’m also dying for another Blake x Lana song again. I love the chemistry between them.

I don’t expect her to actually use a lot of those scrapped tracks she leaves off the albums. Yosimite, Best American Record, Roses Bloom for You, Your Girl, Fine China, etc. I just think the scrapped material may be used at some point for an “Anniversary” edition at some point for each album they were intended for, but I won’t hold my breath for those to see the light of day, officially released. The chances are too slim to none, unless she reworks it a bit like she did with BPBP, which was meant for HM originally and now that the demo has leaked, we know had polar opposite lyrics. As much as I’d like to hear scrapped tracks (and we will at some point, it’s just a given) I think as fast as she moves onto a new album/project, she doesn’t think about those tracks twice. She keeps them in her back pocket but keeps on with whatever she thinks up for the next one.

giphy.gif

Maybe I was wrong about us getting something tonight. Go figure.

I hope we don't have to wait until March, that would really suck.

giphy.gif