Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

I really feel like Lana's insta baddie shtick, basic IG captions, and any religious leanings in MAC, etc we might be mentioning are a bigger part of a cultural critique meant to MAKE us question her behavior. I've often viewed her life and career as a performance art piece, that paradoxically exposes misogyny and other toxic structures at play in American society (for example her ironic Ultra-patriotism, "glorification" of abusive relationships, obsession w heightened glamour, which we've talked about on this thread, and the obviously unhealthy obsession with a "daddy" or father figure) Perhaps if she IS occupyig a "Jesus" type role in MAC, she's doing so in a larger feminist and thought provoking context. And perhaps there's more to this whole Hillsong thing than meets the eye. Maybe (bear w me this is a BIG reach) she's infiltrating to take them down from the inside! Know thy enemy, right?

I wish I was as optimistic as you but honestly I'm just not seeing it.... Like, I hope you're right, but it seems highly unlikely

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.

Re: the IG baddies part of your post: for that to be true, it would have to mean that Lana is either using those Mean Girls for that purpose, and/or ALL of them are pretending and none of them are actually like that. 

Between one of them being tight with the Kartrashians, and another pretentiously unboxing a framed print of a box of matches on IG, I don't buy that they're not actually like that. 

And I don't think Lana would go so far as to befriend people as part of some experimental scheme. That'd be downright horrible, and while sis obviously has some issues I don't think she's a sociopath. 

Baby, I'm a sociopath

Sweet serial killer

:smokes2:

Norman Fucking Rockwell by Lana Del Rey

1. Venice Nun

2. Mariners Apartment Church

3. Faith Is A Dangerous Thing For A Sinner Like Me To Have - But I Have It

4. How To Disappoint

5. Hey Blue Mary

6. Stupid For Being So Slutty

7. In Your Church

8. Happiness Is A Baptism

9. (Sin)namon

tenor.gif

:lmao:

I fucking hope so, but even if that was the case, it's still in ultra bad taste.

Where is Chuck right now?

CONTROL YOUR SISTER

well chuck is friends w annie so idk who's controlling who or how, unfortunately

Norman Fucking Rockwell by Lana Del Rey

1. Venice Nun

2. Mariners Apartment Church

3. Faith Is A Dangerous Thing For A Sinner Like Me To Have - But I Have It

4. How To Disappoint

5. Hey Blue Mary

6. Stupid For Being So Slutty

7. In Your Church

8. Happiness Is A Baptism

9. (Sin)namon

tenor.gif

She certainly nailed that one!

Nailed, get it? I'll see myself out...

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

Re: the IG baddies part of your post: for that to be true, it would have to mean that Lana is either using those Mean Girls for that purpose, and/or ALL of them are pretending and none of them are actually like that. 

Between one of them being tight with the Kartrashians, and another pretentiously unboxing a framed print of a box of matches on IG, I don't buy that they're not actually like that. 

And I don't think Lana would go so far as to befriend people as part of some experimental scheme. That'd be downright horrible, and while sis obviously has some issues I don't think she's a sociopath. 

Exactly. I was just thinking about that the other day actually... It just doesn't add up. I hate her baddie shtick as much as anyone, and I would love to find out it was nothing more than a (poorly thought out) social experiment, but that's very doubtful

Exactly. I was just thinking about that the other day actually... It just doesn't add up. I hate her baddie shtick as much as anyone, and I would love to find out it was nothing more than a (poorly thought out) social experiment, but that's very doubtful

Again, I think it's because from Lana's perspective, it's different.

I'm honestly not up on all the Instagram baddie criteria; I just went by Lana's NY post. However, to me: those friends of hers epitomised Instagram baddie-ness, even before Lana announced she was going to be one. So I kinda read her NY post and went, "isn't this already happening?"

But maybe Lana thinks she's only being an Instagram baddie when she dresses in lycra and sips matcha drinks, and that if she and her friends are not actively trying to be baddies at any one time, that it's just normal behaviour. She doesn't realise that to other, normal people, they look like Instagram baddies all of the time.

I don't even know if that makes sense. Maybe I am on crack.

She just, you know, came up to me and started talking to me about crack.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Just did a quick tarot reading regarding Lana and NFR and the card that represented the future is the ten of wands, which is basically a card saying she worked really hard to turn something into a real thing (possibly NFR) but at the end of this journey she finds herself overburned and maybe the responsabilities she created for herself are too heavy for her to handle, meaning she's feeling like the album is some kind of burden for her right now and maybe thats why she stepped back from all of it to collect herself.  :smokes:

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

Wasn't Lana already friends with Kim Kardashian like couple years ago? I remember (in a cosmopolitan coverstory with the kardashians i think) it was mentioned that Lana visited Kim on set (unless my memory is absolutely delusional). Now that I really think about it this whole "insta-baddie" persona and all these new friends she has gathered within the last year isn't really that surprising tbh.

Wasn't Lana already friends with Kim Kardashian like couple years ago? I remember (in a cosmopolitan coverstory with the kardashians i think) it was mentioned that Lana visited Kim on set (unless my memory is absolutely delusional). Now that I really think about it this whole "insta-baddie" persona and all these new friends she has gathered within the last year isn't really that surprising tbh.

Lana performed at Kim's wedding lel

tumblr_mg4bvnA8GI1qg6f6do1_500.gif

Tbh I just think Lana has always been drawn to superficial personalities and lifestyles, even in her Lizzy days. It's not surprising to me that she's involving herself in this IG baddie stuff, sadly.

And not to be that person but I just miss who she used to be so much. Not looks wise entirely, but just the way she presented herself as this mysterious and innovating starlet. Now she's just blending into the vapid LA crowd. It's sad to watch, but there's nothing we can do and it's just what she's doing these days I guess. Hopefully it's just a phase.

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Again, I think it's because from Lana's perspective, it's different.

I'm honestly not up on all the Instagram baddie criteria; I just went by Lana's NY post. However, to me: those friends of hers epitomised Instagram baddie-ness, even before Lana announced she was going to be one. So I kinda read her NY post and went, "isn't this already happening?"

But maybe Lana thinks she's only being an Instagram baddie when she dresses in lycra and sips matcha drinks, and that if she and her friends are not actively trying to be baddies at any one time, that it's just normal behaviour. She doesn't realise that to other, normal people, they look like Instagram baddies all of the time.

I don't even know if that makes sense. Maybe I am on crack.

She just, you know, came up to me and started talking to me about crack.

I've said it before...I actually wouldn't mind at all if she decided to try the whole insta blogger lifestyle out for real. Certain aspects of it would bother me, but like, what doesn't bother me about the way she's living now? I don't like or care for any of the shit she's been doing. If she was truly living like an instagram blogger, this era would have been amazing. We'd get awesome makeup looks, gorgeous hair, cute outfits, she'd actually bother to wear some of that Gucci stuff that's probably sitting in boxes, she'd be super active on social media, we'd get constant updates on how/what she's doing, and we'd probably know a lot more about the music too, since bloggers tend to overshare like crazy lol. Lana's lame excuse of an iNsTa bAdDiE lifestyle just...isn't it. She's just not living it. And none of her friends are either, except for that model maybe. I know people with 300 followers who get better PR than fucking matchboxes.

I was dead ass so excited when I saw that NY post. I thought 2012 Lana was BACK, I thought things were about to get glamorous again.

...they were not.

I really feel like Lana's insta baddie shtick, basic IG captions, and any religious leanings in MAC, etc we might be mentioning are a bigger part of a cultural critique meant to MAKE us question her behavior. I've often viewed her life and career as a performance art piece, that paradoxically exposes misogyny and other toxic structures at play in American society (for example her ironic Ultra-patriotism, "glorification" of abusive relationships, obsession w heightened glamour, which we've talked about on this thread, and the obviously unhealthy obsession with a "daddy" or father figure) Perhaps if she IS occupying a "Jesus" type role in MAC, she's doing so in a larger feminist and thought provoking context. And perhaps there's more to this whole Hillsong thing than meets the eye. Maybe (bear w me this is a BIG reach) she's infiltrating to take them down from the inside! Know thy enemy, right?

Writing meta, double negative stuff is one thing but living a complete lie in decline so that you can either infiltrate a certain group lifestyle or make a point to yourself or others is another. It's been too long for it to be a fraud. What you just wrote is 2013 stan level of delusion and I admire your unquestionable love for her.

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

Just did a quick tarot reading regarding Lana and NFR and the card that represented the future is the ten of wands, which is basically a card saying she worked really hard to turn something into a real thing (possibly NFR) but at the end of this journey she finds herself overburned and maybe the responsabilities she created for herself are too heavy for her to handle, meaning she's feeling like the album is some kind of burden for her right now and maybe thats why she stepped back from all of it to collect herself.  :smokes:

son of a bitch :lange: 

I agree; it isn't surprising at all but she does seem to have ramped it up.

As I said on another thread - Lana has been friends with Courtney Love for years, and Courtney is a fame whore and always has been. Courtney would absolutely be an Instagram baddie if she was 20 years younger. Years ago, when I first saw Lana out with Courtney, I remember thinking, "oh no ...". You can tell a lot about a person by the company that they keep.

Musically, I love them both, but yeah.

Lana's baddie friends just seem like they're trying so fucking hard ... everything is over-filtered, they post trite quotes to try and give themselves an element of depth, etc. Yawn. Honestly, I wouldn't care if I thought it wouldn't affect her music, but I do not see how hanging around superficial people is conducive to making good music.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream