Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

do yall have any special plans for your first listen of NFR?

i feel like this thread needs positive vibes idk lmao

I'll probably wait a few months and then listen to it completely on my birthday with new headphones to really appreciate it. Before then I'll probably either listen on shuffle or just to singular songs. I didn't listen to LfL all the way through until I was having a breakdown a couple months later. The album has its faults but damn if Get Free isn't a good song to have a revelation to  :hooker:

locals only

May I sway you folks to start stanning American Horror Story? It's buzzing right now and might be able to take you away from this gruelling wait for Norman Fucking Reedus. 

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

do yall have any special plans for your first listen of NFR?

i feel like this thread needs positive vibes idk lmao

Assuming the vinyl doesn’t come out the same day as the album itself like with LFL, my plans for my first listen are most likely gonna be me sitting in my backyard with my headphones on, maybe with a joint. Probably lots of swaying and twirling with my arms out and my eyes closed and just feeling the music.

But due to the wait, I still kinda hope the vinyl comes out the same day so I can lay on the floor in front of my stereo and cry for the first listen, but I know I’ll still have plenty of time to do that over the years.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

Assuming the vinyl doesn’t come out the same day as the album itself like with LFL, my plans for my first listen are most likely gonna be me sitting in my backyard with my headphones on, maybe with a joint. Probably lots of swaying and twirling with my arms out and my eyes closed and just feeling the music.

But due to the wait, I still kinda hope the vinyl comes out the same day so I can lay on the floor in front of my stereo and cry for the first listen, but I know I’ll still have plenty of time to do that over the years.

Yassss

Maybe it’s just that, about being mysterious. Maybe it’ll get people googling “what’s Lana Del Rey’s upcoming album” instead of just mindlessly presaving it. Idk, she hasn’t been referring to any of her albums by name lately, so it’s making me think it has nothing to do with NFR specifically. Maybe by not naming the albums, new fans will go look them up themselves and it’ll give them more insight or spike interest or even detract people who really don’t care enough to look it up. Or she’s just so anti-promo that she’s actively anti-promoting them. Idk, she’s an enigma.

That would imply ingenuity and effort. And neither L*na nor her team would move their lazy asses and come up with an idea like that... It's just not realistic.

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

I think this has made me really see the difference in how the songs feel. The BTD album has songs with such massive scope- you could listen to it driving with your boyfriend of three months to Las Vegas to get married, you could listen to it at 14 and think about the crush you never speak to, and still get that rush. With a song like MAC though, I feel like to truly feel it you need to have had a more mature relationship experience. I've listened to MAC frequently since it came out as I was going through a long, drawn-out not-quite break-up with someone that thought my own sadness could be co-opted by them. While a lot of the songs on BTD might talk about specific situations, like swinging in the backyard while your boyfriend plays video games, or walking the streets as a 17 year old alcoholic prostitute, they're still more universal than a specific conversation in someone's car or by an apartment complex. 

It's kind of strange to me that as she clearly loses interest in fame she makes her lyrics so, so personal and precise. 

very well said! i think this is part of the issue too, as she moves towards maturity and making healthy decisions and healing, she loses relatability to her fans that aren’t in that headspace yet. it’s “easier” (not really, but it feels better in the moment) to romanticize your problems, to glamorize them and make them seem dreamy and alluring, but you get to a point where you realize instant gratification/validation isn’t worth it and in the long run doing things differently as uncomfortable or painful as that may be, is the better choice because it shapes your future into something different (healthier/more positive). the trouble is that she’s known to the GP as the tumblr sad girl so like.... i get why she might feel stuck or trapped. or even as she gains independence, i feel like there’s a level of spite because she doesn’t want to cave to be what her label wants or what her “fans” or listeners want, but she’s not in a position of direct power so all she can do is Not do something. like, okay you want me to write more of this narrative but i don’t relate to that anymore., i made this album with a different narrative, so what are you gonna do about it? we’ve seen her fight with what her team wants vs what she wants before so like... idk. i feel like they’re like okay we’ll just promote other people and put you on the backburner to teach you a lesson (do what we want) and lana’s stubborn ass is like okay fine  :) i’ll just have fun taking surfing lessons with my boyfriend and doing watercolors and learning to fly a plane while y’all do that, cuz i’m not budging either, so thanks for the vacation <3 ps i already told my fans about the album so  :)

anyways sorry for that ramble but you’re right, even with her way older may jailer sirens kind of songs, we still see that as she shows maturity her lyrics get hyper specific again  

i wonder why that is? all of her more grandiose stuff seems more like escapism, so it’s like concepts rather than actual experiences. even the difference in how she sings, may jailer has a sensibility in her voice whereas lana del ray is playful and mischievous and maybe even supernatural, and lana de rey is lamenting and romantic, etc

UbsOye5.png

I don't think she was or is glamorizing her sadness, I think she really was writing the way she felt, and maybe that can seem glamorous through the visuals,

she was the first mainstream artists to do so....

and also, just because someone is maturing & trying to Change, does not mean that the sadness or troubling emotions are not still there... 

emotions are waves, like she wrote in her poem. 

(to me LFL definitely felt different & I don't know if it felt forced to me, or just less personal.. but it does not entice me like the previous works or her new singles... because even pre LDR music was relatable simply for its authentic descriptions of experiences she felt or wished to feel, and it makes us feel united in our emotions of electricity, sadness, longing, bad girl vibes, etc.. .) 

I feel like all the singles are really authentic/relatable, esp Venice Bitch, Hope, they feel super in depth & raw.

I just am so curious where NFR fits in the journey... I truly think LFL was for the critics, appeasing the masses, I think she was tired of being talked about/labeled, which is dumb cause she's created such beautiful art, and I wish she didn't care... she alludes to this in Coachella song, "critics can be so mean" 

I hope NFR is super authentic / raw and that it reignites her passion for her art, regardless of what a dumb critic might conclude, because her fans love and support her..

Saw this on Reddit, apparently posted on a Sublime discussion forum

gox74t43vp931.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s

Sounds fake but there's nothing else to talk about  :hooker:

Honestly, fake news are the most interesting things with this era. 

I wish she didn't care... she alludes to this in Coachella song, "critics can be so mean"

Wasn’t she referring to what critics (and basically everyone) said about Father John Misty’s performance at Coachella that year? Even headlines at the time were joking that everyone except Lana hated his performance.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

She planned to announce tour dates, album cover, tracklist and date of release today on Twitter, but it's down, so she will post it in 2045. See u, gay pals.

I need a good music video for a new song please

We haven’t had a decent MV since SOC. We are definitely not gonna get one this time round either :rip: :lel:

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

i wish Lana would make more tracks like her pre-BTD songs. also it kinda sounds like a reach but ever since i started stanning Gaga i realized that The Fame has really similar topics to Lana's music, like the whole fame/disco/money/gangster/drugs thing. the other days i was listening to "Boys Boys Boys" and Gaga singing "i like you a lot, lot, think you're really hot, hot" got me shook cuz she sounded a LOT like Lana. i almost thought it was her lol. Also i think it's interesting that both of their first & second pieces are albums then reeditions of the first one (ex: The Fame became The Fame Monster & Born To Die became Born To Die the Paradise Edition). idk i thought it was kinda funny that Lana hated Gaga back in the days when their early tracks are actually really similar. I'd love to see them collab one day

hey there sugar baby saw you twice at the pop show

you taste just like glitter mixed with rock and roll

:dance: :grinds::dance:

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Wait why did everyone hate the father John misty performance? I didn’t see it so I don’t know. Also when’s miss thing’s next show? If she doesn’t say anything about the al boom it’s safe to assume it’s not coming in August although I already don’t believe that much

Truly ethereal, and it’s a huge pain in the ass

Wait why did everyone hate the father John misty performance? I didn’t see it so I don’t know. Also when’s miss thing’s next show? If she doesn’t say anything about the al boom it’s safe to assume it’s not coming in August although I already don’t believe that much

She begins a new stretch of shows from July 18 to 24. 

I first thought she could have given us something this week or next week, but I think it's going to be after July 24.