Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

Honestly I’d love to hear one full on Catholic anthem on NFR..

Heavenly

Faith Is A Dangerous Thing For A Woman Like Me To Have - But I Have It

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

I recently saw her very early semi-professional modeling shots, which suggested that being beautiful and sexually desirable was something that was there in her and important to her from a fairly early age, as is it for many or most youths. Maybe she’s matured enough to where she feels she can now leave that side of herself largely behind, especially in terms of her music career. Again, on the basis of the work and of what we know of NFR, ‘Hope’ definitely suggests she’s “not that” anymore in her own mind.

I think she is attractive, but she seems to be downplaying it as much as she can, even going so far as to post some photos which are very unflattering, at least to me.

ever since LFL she seems to care what the media/public/journalists think of her... 

I find it annoying that she would care what people such as Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth have to say... because at the end of the day, as she said in her Pitchfork interview of 2017; she is "stuffing her own hair, they don't know what authentic is" 

I think she must be going through something internally, I can only assume... when I go through a depressive or anxious state, I don't try to look presentable...

which is quite sad considering she really brought Glamour to the 21st Century.

Like Lana Del Rey used to deliver the most iconic looks, the most non-basic looks, but now she shows up in leggings, sketchers, and a sweater.. looking like a trader joes housewife who just got a new Range Rover...

especially when fans are paying $400 + a show, 

I somewhat see it as entitled/narcissistic of her to not even try to serve a stage "look" but what can we do? nothing...it is her choice... and we as fans can judge/have opinions.

but she has said she was always part image artist (why she loves Kali Uchis) so if NFR is lazy t-shirt and jeans and black sketchers,,,,, I just see this as some lazy half done "project" when she feels she is so famous she can do whatever she wants... 

I do love the simplicity she has had, especially driving her truck and not even trying to change clothes, but it just seems she is caving into critics of the past who made fun of her "real big beauty queen style" hair... WOMEN should be able to do whatever/dress however they want... don't tell women that if they dress in those styles, they aren't feminist... its dumb. 

Men like David Bowie dressed up and did what they wanted and never got blamed for being fake... 

NFR better serve. 

also... any thoughts as to what the album cover for NFR might look like? 

do we think it will take on some form of Rockwell era style? I am so confused as to where the visuals stand this era?

ever since LFL she seems to care what the media/public/journalists think of her... 

I find it annoying that she would care what people such as Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth have to say... because at the end of the day, as she said in her Pitchfork interview of 2017; she is "stuffing her own hair, they don't know what authentic is" 

I think she must be going through something internally, I can only assume... when I go through a depressive or anxious state, I don't try to look presentable...

which is quite sad considering she really brought Glamour to the 21st Century.

Like Lana Del Rey used to deliver the most iconic looks, the most non-basic looks, but now she shows up in leggings, sketchers, and a sweater.. looking like a trader joes housewife who just got a new Range Rover...

especially when fans are paying $400 + a show, 

I somewhat see it as entitled/narcissistic of her to not even try to serve a stage "look" but what can we do? nothing...it is her choice... and we as fans can judge/have opinions.

but she has said she was always part image artist (why she loves Kali Uchis) so if NFR is lazy t-shirt and jeans and black sketchers,,,,, I just see this as some lazy half done "project" when she feels she is so famous she can do whatever she wants... 

I do love the simplicity she has had, especially driving her truck and not even trying to change clothes, but it just seems she is caving into critics of the past who made fun of her "real big beauty queen style" hair... WOMEN should be able to do whatever/dress however they want... don't tell women that if they dress in those styles, they aren't feminist... its dumb. 

Men like David Bowie dressed up and did what they wanted and never got blamed for being fake... 

NFR better serve. 

also... any thoughts as to what the album cover for NFR might look like? 

do we think it will take on some form of Rockwell era style? I am so confused as to where the visuals stand this era?

Okay, I find your post confusing. On one hand, you're saying you don't like her more recent casual, natural looks, that you find it lazy, and that you want the older, glamourous style back.

And then you say women should be able to dress how they want, but it's as if you think she wants to be glamourous but feels she can't be.

What if she doesn't want to be glamourous? That should be okay, too.

I'm likely in the minority, but I quite like her casual, natural look of late. The pressure to always look glamourous when seen in public for 8 + years must've been draining af. I think it's good for her to take that pressure off herself. She doesn't look bad by any means.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

I refer to black leggings black shirt Mormon hair Lana as Elizabeth Woolridge Grant and tbh it's freeing. Hitchcock muse Bond girl Lana died in 2015 after Honeymoon. But anyways I Hope that like, lyrically and musically NFR surpasses Honeymoon or whatever album you would use instead, if that happens I won't care if she decides to go only w a g-string made solely of her armpit hairs.

Kim Gordon's statements always bothered me. Hating on Lana was the fashion back then but I'm sure she thought she was special for saying that. Oh, famous "legends" whose "fame" took away their common sense. But then again, the biggest flaw I always saw on Kurt Cobain was hin heing a Sonic Youth fan so don't pay me attention.

tumblr_inline_qhw6etIHor1wxgybj_500.gif

last.fm: dope_n_diamonds // twitter: lovinglydelrey

Kim Gordon is considered Alt-Rock royalty to many people of a certain age as well as to feminists in music, so LDR probably did at least think twice about Gordon’s criticisms, which received a great deal of press. LDR has had a lot of poor luck in various ways with other musicians, like Lorde, for example, and then, though LDR is a fan of Bowie’s, he said Lorde was ‘the future of music,’ to paraphrase him. That had to sting. But she’s obviously had praise from her peer musicians, like The Weeknd and Father John Misty, as well as ‘legends’ like B. Springsteen and Stevie Nicks.

As far as her persona and appearance going forward, the album cover and sleeve art for NFR will tell us a lot, and maybe everything. After the flat, mediocre LFL artwork, I don’t expect to see a return to glamour and high style.

Contrary to what common sense might dictate, pop artists are often better handled by competent managers and record companies than they are by themselves; when they gain enough power through sales and popularity to dictate their own course, they have often stumbled and tripped all over themselves. The Monkees are a good example of that. Of course, that’s hardly always the case.

I didn't take much notice of the Kim Gordon comments. She made a couple of valid points (like, I agree about what she said about feminism, but I also think Lana's reluctance to engage in feminist discussion in any meangingful way has to do with a relationship with Weinstein - separate topic).

Musicians tend to say some really stupid shit as they get older ... maybe because they lose touch with the younger generation, maybe because they want to stay relevant, maybe because they want to do the "our generation of music was so much better" thing. Like, I love Shirley Manson but she posted the other day about how it was creepy for adults to like Billie Eilish which was WTF.

I don't think Lana has changed up her image because of Kim Gordon or anyone else. I think she just went, "fuck it" ... as I said, putting on a facade - and one which takes a lot of effort/maintenance, at that - for 8 + years must've been exhausting.

Hello Lanaboards peeps! Can someone fill me in on what happened on this lovely day?

Grazia magazine released an interview and the only update on NFR was “You’ll hear it soon”

Okay, I find your post confusing. On one hand, you're saying you don't like her more recent casual, natural looks, that you find it lazy, and that you want the older, glamourous style back.

And then you say women should be able to dress how they want, but it's as if you think she wants to be glamourous but feels she can't be.

What if she doesn't want to be glamourous? That should be okay, too.

I'm likely in the minority, but I quite like her casual, natural look of late. The pressure to always look glamourous when seen in public for 8 + years must've been draining af. I think it's good for her to take that pressure off herself. She doesn't look bad by any means.

sorry if my post was confusing/long...

I loved her style/look before now, because it fit to the Music so uniquely/diffrent from any girl in music... and I do miss it; it was DIFFERENT yet NOSTALGIC

many artists are following her style (cat eye, long nails, big hair - Lykke Li, Kasey Muscgrave, )

I believe she is trying to rebirth herself now, in some sense, and I don't care for her "jumped out of bed" look; it just seems like what Kim and Kanye are trying to press onto the Culture...

but also if that is what she wants, then that is fine.... she is still stunningly beautiful;

it is just not as mystical/unique, with her distinct nails and lips and eye makeup and hair... she is changing her style, i find it less intriguing at the moment ... also who isn't to say she could bring it back... I remember she said it was all her own making/desire to Put her hair up and nails on... maybe she just got sick of it, costly. 

I agree she didn’t change her entire career course due to a feud with Lorde, Gordon’s comments and the backlash after she made the “feminism just isn’t an interesting concept “ comments. I think it was a lot of things coming one after another, including, yes, the fact that the maintenance and effort to remain slim, youthful, stylish and photogenic had to be very exhausting, especially as her fame grew and paparazzi started chasing her on two continents at all hours. While ‘Hope’ has already given us a clear statement on the subject, we’ll know which direction she’s heading once we see the final NFR cover and sleeve art.

For me, the “crack another beer” lyric from HTD doesn’t suggest the sophisticated LDR of Paradise, but a much more earthy, unadorned persona, one comfortable singing from a working class POV and about ‘blue collar’ concerns, a la Springsteen and Billy Joel. The plain photo of her sitting on the side of the highway supports that too.

I agree she didn’t change her entire career course due to a feud with Lorde, Gordon’s comments and the backlash after she made the “feminism just isn’t an interesting concept “ comments. I think it was a lot of things coming one after another, including, yes, the fact that the maintenance and effort to remain slim, youthful, stylish and photogenic had to be very exhausting, especially as her fame grew and paparazzi started chasing her on two continents at all hours. While ‘Hope’ has already given us a clear statement on the subject, we’ll know which direction she’s heading once we see the final NFR cover and sleeve art.

For me, the “crack another beer” lyric from HTD doesn’t suggest the sophisticated LDR of Paradise, but a much more earthy, unadorned persona, one comfortable singing from a working class POV and about ‘blue collar’ concerns, a la Springsteen and Billy Joel. The plain photo of her sitting on the side of the highway supports that too.

this Is an interesting thought,

it is just quite ironic that her new Beverly Hills friends are farrrrrrr from working class, or simple... they all live extravagantly driving teslas... and fly on her private jet to NOLA for a show...

I somewhat wonder if lana has been truly just not giving/trying to "look" a certain way; because of writers block, and depression (Hope seems to give this a hint) and about where she is internally (emotionally) ... idk 

nothing, just complaining

Grazia magazine released an interview and the only update on NFR was “You’ll hear it soon”

Then today was just as messy as any other day lPFIDDU.gif tragic

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

the idea of singing from a "working class perspective" at shows she gets to via private jet seems very slimy and disingenuous

it's just the way i feel

this Is an interesting thought,

it is just quite ironic that her new Beverly Hills friends are farrrrrrr from working class, or simple... they all live extravagantly driving teslas... and fly on her private jet to NOLA for a show...

I somewhat wonder if lana has been truly just not giving/trying to "look" a certain way; because of writers block, and depression (Hope seems to give this a hint) and about where she is internally (emotionally) ... idk 

Yeah this is a good point. Her new friends don't really fit with the theory. Then again, they seem elitist to us - but maybe fame has blinded Lana so much that, to her, they are normal. Like, maybe Lana considers them "normal" because they're not actors/musicians. 

Lana always seems dressed down in comparison to them, though. It's strange.