Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

Looked at from a certain angle, especially since LDR is an acknowledged Christian, MAC seems like it may be almost directly about Jesus Christ in parts.

She begins by speaking as herself or as the female protagonist, who then "whispers to Jesus, 'Take a deep breath, baby let me in.'"

Directly after that, is it LDR or Jesus (who has been "let in") who says, "You lose your way, just take my hand / You're lost at sea, then I'll command your boat to me again / Don't look too far, right where you are, that's where I am / I'm your man / I'm your man"?

​In Mark 4:35-4, Jesus calms the storm, and by doing so saves the lives of the apostles.

'I'm you're man' is a direct reference to the song of the same name by Leonard Cohen, we know, but does it also refer to Jesus Christ, as Jesus was God incarnated as Man, according to Christian theology?

"Cause even in the dark I feel your resistance / You can see my heart burning in the distance / Baby, baby, baby, I'm your man" also seems to meld both LDR's voice and Jesus's.

After my initial listenings to MAC, I took these 'Jesus' references as intentional on the LDR's part.

If the voice of LDR (or the female protagonist) and the voice of Jesus Christ are conflated at points throughout the song, it makes MAC the most Christian song she's ever released.

Has LanaBoards gone too far???

tumblr_mg4bvnA8GI1qg6f6do1_500.gif

Looked at from a certain angle, especially since LDR is an acknowledged Christian, MAC seems like it may be almost directly about Jesus Christ in parts.

She begins by speaking as herself or as the female protagonist, who then "whispers to Jesus, 'Take a deep breath, baby let me in.'"

Directly after that, is it LDR or Jesus (who has been "let in") who says, "You lose your way, just take my hand / You're lost at sea, then I'll command your boat to me again / Don't look too far, right where you are, that's where I am / I'm your man / I'm your man"? 

​In Mark 4:35-4, Jesus calms the storm, and by doing so saves the lives of the apostles. 

'I'm you're man' is a direct reference to the song of the same name by Leonard Cohen, we know, but does it also refer to Jesus Christ, as Jesus was God incarnated as Man, according to Christian theology?  

"Cause even in the dark I feel your resistance / You can see my heart burning in the distance / Baby, baby, baby, I'm your man" also seems to meld both LDR's voice and Jesus's. 

After my initial listenings to MAC, I took these 'Jesus' references as intentional on the LDR's part. 

If the voice of LDR (or the female protagonist) and the voice of Jesus Christ are conflated at points throughout the song, it makes MAC the most Christian song she's ever released.

Y’all have lost it KAKSKSKSK

yyxy | youth youth by young | yyxy

Norman Fucking Rockwell by Lana Del Rey

1. Venice Nun

2. Mariners Apartment Church

3. Faith Is A Dangerous Thing For A Sinner Like Me To Have - But I Have It

4. How To Disappoint

5. Hey Blue Mary

6. Stupid For Being So Slutty

7. In Your Church

8. Happiness Is A Baptism

9. (Sin)namon

tenor.gif

"How to Disappoint"

oprah_reaction.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_mg4bvnA8GI1qg6f6do1_500.gif

If Lana becomes explicitly Christian on NFR, I will seriously UNSTAN af.  Her fan base is primarily gays rite???  i guess now she's hit the mainstream, all the basic matcha loving leggins wearing vaguely christian straight white girls are all over her.  but DAMN GIRL like look at the world right now.  HOW IN THE FUCK does it make sense to become MORE religious?  religion is what got the world into this mess!  im very into "getting closer to God" but... uh....... girl not the God of the Bible. please. PLEEEEASE.  im much more into ariana grande's "god is a woman" thing and i dont even like her music.....

somebody help me pls, this should not matter this much to me but it does. 

HELL IS A DANGEROUS PLACE FOR A GAY LIKE ME TO GO - BUT ILL GO THERE. bitch i will GO THERE

how did she go from Satanic Bible Reading, Witchy aesthetic to bible thumper?

maybe she sold her soul and wants it back 

anyway, name Lucifer, Lord of Light, your one king daddy in the north

Alexa play Axl Rose Husband/Body Electric Mashup 

High up in the Hollywood hills, Taking violet pills

Directly after that, is it LDR or Jesus (who has been "let in") who says, "You lose your way, just take my hand / You're lost at sea, then I'll command your boat to me again / Don't look too far, right where you are, that's where I am / I'm your man / I'm your man"?

This doesn’t sound that delusional... think about it. She’s attending Hillsong now and has always had references to Jesus in her music. What if she’s distinctly referring to him in MAC. What if she’s singing what she feels he’s saying to her.

giphy.gif

Norman Fucking Rockwell by Lana Del Rey

1. Venice Nun

2. Mariners Apartment Church

3. Faith Is A Dangerous Thing For A Sinner Like Me To Have - But I Have It

4. How To Disappoint

5. Hey Blue Mary

6. Stupid For Being So Slutty

7. In Your Church

8. Happiness Is A Baptism

9. (Sin)namon

tenor.gif

(Sin)namon :lmao:  :gclap:

Ok but going to church regularly does not make someone a bible thumper?? She's always talked about God and her relationship with religion and always had religious imagery in her work, just look at Tropico. So idk why people are surprised she's been going to church. 

She seems a lot less interested in tapping into the dark side of things that inspire her as she's grown older. her darkest music is some of her best and I don't think we'll get anything close to those levels again as long as Lana is staying away from those topics  :pft:

tbh i cant think of anything "darker" than a religion based on the world and everyone on it being inherently evil and the majority of people burning in a fiery torture dimension for eternity................

"it never was about / the tithing or the love / for you, there's only blooooooood / for you, theres only blooooooooooooooood"

YASSSSS JESUS shower me with YA STICKY RED BLOOD BOIIII, felt righteous, might chew on some christ flesh l8r, idk

It's worth noting that some Christian denominations are now wholly welcoming to gays and lesbians in both formal policy and action.

The Episcopalian Church welcomes gay members, recognizes and performs gay marriages and ordains gay clergy of both genders; you can't get more welcoming and fully accepting than that. The Presbyterian Church (USA) is also welcoming to gay men and lesbians, though both only changed their policies within the last 20 years or so. 

The United Methodist Church that is dominated by conservatives both here and abroad, and continues to welcome gay members but not marry or ordain them. The UMC is constantly in the news about that, as they battle over the issue every four years at their 'annual conference.' 

The Baptist Church is also not welcoming to openly gay men and women, to the best of my knowledge. Small 'private' churches that are split off from mainline denominations and accept no funds from them can stand for and represent almost anything, which is why they usually remain small and obscure. 

I know nothing specifically about LDR's approach to Christianity, accept that she was raised Catholic. But MAC certainly sounds like 'Christian pop' to me, due to the lyrical content and Biblical references. 

Another related issue is how PC LDR has become, with MAC and songs like 'Change,' perhaps at least partially because of the attacks by respected figures on the Left like Kim Gordon.

Personally, I preferred the older LDR of the 'Velvet Crowbar' and the original version of 'Live Or Die,' which I consider one of the ultimate thematic statements of rock and rock-related music. 

Terrence's mum better be right about the end of April having some news otherwise a lawsuit will be in order

giphy.gif

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

"Ok but going to church regularly does not make someone a bible thumper?? She's always talked about God and her relationship with religion and always had religious imagery in her work, just look at Tropico. So idk why people are surprised she's been going to church." 

Absolutely true, loleetah. And for as long as she's been a public figure, the idea of God and religion has wormed its way in and out of her music (specifically on 'Gods & Monsters). I don't think she's going to become a zealot, a snake-handler or any sort of fervent fundamentalist. She also mentioned her brief involvement in some kind of a cult while fairly young, so she no doubt learned the dangers of unquestioning belief in anything.  

"Ok but going to church regularly does not make someone a bible thumper?? She's always talked about God and her relationship with religion and always had religious imagery in her work, just look at Tropico. So idk why people are surprised she's been going to church." 

Absolutely true, loleetah. And for as long as she's been a public figure, the idea of God and religion has wormed its way in and out of her music (specifically on 'Gods & Monsters). I don't think she's going to become a zealot, a snake-handler or any sort of fervent fundamentalist. She also mentioned her brief involvement in some kind of a cult while fairly young, so she no doubt learned the dangers of unquestioning belief in anything.  

I know you're new here but I want to let you know that you can reply to someone's comment by clicking the 'quote' button :)

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

oh wow some Christians have decided in the past several years they dont hate gays anymore!!!!!??????  that totally makes up for all the horrific abuse of gays for centuries!  thank god i learned this!  now all the other stuff (like rampant misogyny, explicit endorsements of slavery and genocide, everyone being inherently evil, the actual apocalypse) doesnt seem as bad!!!

in Gods & Monsters, Lana said "god's dead, i said, baby that's alright with me"  <--- this is the Lana i fell in love with