Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

I really feel like the sexism jumps out in this thread sometimes...

where?  i hate sexism and misogyny, but i don't see how finding wealthy white LA debutante culture (a la real housewives) kind of distasteful and a total 180 from Lana's previous persona is sexist

where?  i hate sexism and misogyny, but i don't see how finding wealthy white LA debutante culture (a la real housewives) kind of distasteful and a total 180 from Lana's previous persona is sexist

calling her basic, constantly trashing her friends when we know nothing about them

something about that doesn't sit well with me

Maybe it isn't sexist but it sure ain't right

negAbhB.png

I really feel like the sexism jumps out in this thread sometimes...

If a non-album-releasing male artist that I liked posted  "Real Househusbands of West Hollywood" I'd be just as bitter, tyvm. 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

I really feel like Lana's insta baddie shtick, basic IG captions, and any religious leanings in MAC, etc we might be mentioning are a bigger part of a cultural critique meant to MAKE us question her behavior. I've often viewed her life and career as a performance art piece, that paradoxically exposes misogyny and other toxic structures at play in American society (for example her ironic Ultra-patriotism, "glorification" of abusive relationships, obsession w heightened glamour, which we've talked about on this thread, and the obviously unhealthy obsession with a "daddy" or father figure) Perhaps if she IS occupying a "Jesus" type role in MAC, she's doing so in a larger feminist and thought provoking context. And perhaps there's more to this whole Hillsong thing than meets the eye. Maybe (bear w me this is a BIG reach) she's infiltrating to take them down from the inside! Know thy enemy, right?

If a non-album-releasing male artist that I liked posted "Real Househusbands of West Hollywood" I'd be just as bitter, tyvm.

It would literally be like if Father John Misty out of nowhere posted a picture with Hozier captioned "Jersey Shore Family Reunion"

tumblr_mg4bvnA8GI1qg6f6do1_500.gif

calling her basic, constantly trashing her friends when we know nothing about them

But "basic" is the image she's trying to promote, clearly, with all this Instagram baddie shit. 

It's superficial by its very nature, and she consciously chose it. 

It's impossible to tell how much of it is real/feigned, but it's definitely tired af. 

And as I've said before, she can befriend whoever she wants but clearly that is not a down-to-earth group. I mean, that one on IG unboxing a framed print ... of matches ... I suppose I'm just not high brow enough to get it but if my friend had a framed print of a box of matches I'd roast them to no end. They actively promote themselves as pretentious af, at least on social media, and they deserve to be dragged imo. 

nothing about that has to do with anyone's womanhood.  this is just being shady and talking shit.  calling general rudeness and shit talking sexism diminishes actual sexism.  not saying it's right, but i don't think it's sexist

It would literally be like if Father John Misty out of nowhere posted a picture with Hozier captioned "Jersey Shore Family Reunion"

i can't stop thinking about this

it's just the way i feel

I really feel like Lana's insta baddie shtick, basic IG captions, and any religious leanings in MAC, etc we might be mentioning are a bigger part of a cultural critique meant to MAKE us question her behavior. I've often viewed her life and career as a performance art piece, that paradoxically exposes misogyny and other toxic structures at play in American society (for example her ironic Ultra-patriotism, "glorification" of abusive relationships, obsession w heightened glamour, which we've talked about on this thread, and the obviously unhealthy obsession with a "daddy" or father figure) Perhaps if she IS occupyig a "Jesus" type role in MAC, she's doing so in a larger feminist and thought provoking context. And perhaps there's more to this whole Hillsong thing than meets the eye. Maybe (bear w me this is a BIG reach) she's infiltrating to take them down from the inside! Know thy enemy, right?

I fucking hope so, but even if that was the case, it's still in ultra bad taste.

Where is Chuck right now?

CONTROL YOUR SISTER

I really feel like Lana's insta baddie shtick, basic IG captions, and any religious leanings in MAC, etc we might be mentioning are a bigger part of a cultural critique meant to MAKE us question her behavior. I've often viewed her life and career as a performance art piece, that paradoxically exposes misogyny and other toxic structures at play in American society (for example her ironic Ultra-patriotism, "glorification" of abusive relationships, obsession w heightened glamour, which we've talked about on this thread, and the obviously unhealthy obsession with a "daddy" or father figure) Perhaps if she IS occupyig a "Jesus" type role in MAC, she's doing so in a larger feminist and thought provoking context. And perhaps there's more to this whole Hillsong thing than meets the eye. Maybe (bear w me this is a BIG reach) she's infiltrating to take them down from the inside! Know thy enemy, right?

Re: the IG baddies part of your post: for that to be true, it would have to mean that Lana is either using those Mean Girls for that purpose, and/or ALL of them are pretending and none of them are actually like that. 

Between one of them being tight with the Kartrashians, and another pretentiously unboxing a framed print of a box of matches on IG, I don't buy that they're not actually like that. 

And I don't think Lana would go so far as to befriend people as part of some experimental scheme. That'd be downright horrible, and while sis obviously has some issues I don't think she's a sociopath.