Elle

Venice Bitch

Yeah and clover is a nickname for weed ... but idk about the crimson. It all has a double meaning, I'm sure.

I always took it as...she likes the finer, material things (diamonds) that can give life texture as opposed to her man who prefers a more simple (earthy?) way of living. Also, for me, the crimson and clover line ties in nicely with “you’re in the yard, I light the fire” and “now we’re back in the garden...”. They help paint that atmosphere that makes VB so *chefs kiss*

Tumblr

Looks like she’s referencing a song from the sixties called Crimson and Clover by Tommy James and The Shondells. Part of the song goes “Crimson and clover, over and over.”

It's amazing how many musical references are over the album... Didn't know about the one you are pointing, p.e. But found out that the "dream a little dream of me" lyric comes from a The Mamas and the Papas song, which comes to join the well known "California dreamin'" she also put on the same song. She has quite a vision of the place she's at on the musical history and she's aware of the things she's channeling also. Love that.

I think I’m nearly a year late with this but is the line “Me myself I like diamonds, my baby crimson and clover.” a drug reference? She’s used diamonds to refer to drugs in Florida Kilos.

Although it’s a a reference to a 60s song, yeah you’re right. Crimson could be wine, clover could be weed

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

Heard a Red Hot Chili Peppers' song called Venice Queen and thought of VB. Topically they're at least related (though the perspective is male in VQ). I find RHCP lyrics, in this particular case, not awful, but not aweful either (forgive the pun), particularly because they're harder to understand than VB lyrics. Anyway, when LDR said a little bit of RHCP in NFR, I'm wondering if she meant this song in particular. The melodies are way different, of course, but the songs also share an acoustic guitar vibe in the first half.

Venice Queen
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Does it go from east to west
Body free and a body less
Come again just to start a fresh
Once again to find a home
In the moment of the meantime
Dropping in coming through the mesh
Checking in just to get it blessed
Hard to leave when it's picturesque and
Find a form that's free to roam
Where you come from
Where you going
Where you come from
Where you going
Do it all then it all again
Make it up and you make a friend
Paddle on just around the bend and
Find a place where you can see
All the mamas and the papas
Take a chance on a recommend
Hard as hell just to comprehend
Disbelief that I do suspend and
Easy now to find a breeze
Where you come from
Where you going
Where you come from
Where you going
We all want to tell her
Tell her that we love her
Venice gets a queen
Best I've ever seen
We all want to kiss her
Tell her that we miss her
Venice gets a queen
Best I've ever
I know you said you don't believe
In God do you still disagree
Now that it's time for you to leave
G-L-O-R-I-A
Is love my friend
My friend
My friend
Your stylish mess of silver hair
A woman of your kind is rare
Your uniform returns to air
G-L-O-R-I-A
Is love my friend
My friend
My friend
And now it's time for you to go
You taught me most of what I know
Where would I be without you Glo
G-L-O-R-I-A
Is love my friend
My friend
My friend
I see you standing by the sea
The waves you made will always be
A kiss goodbye before you leave
G-L-O-R-I-A
Is love my friend
My friend
My friend

Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Michael Balzary / John Frusciante / Anthony Kiedis / Chad Smith

To me it sounds like her old songs from the "Young Like Me" EP.

To be fair, Taylor has been influenced by Lana in many, many ways, so its more a cycle than anything repetitive. The conversation on artist ripping artists really needs to be acknowledged nowadays. It's insane that legality has come in the ideas of chords and timbre. 

Edit: in reference to Lana sounding like TS's 1989. 

Heard a Red Hot Chili Peppers' song called Venice Queen and thought of VB. Topically they're at least related (though the perspective is male in VQ). I find RHCP lyrics, in this particular case, not awful, but not aweful either (forgive the pun), particularly because they're harder to understand than VB lyrics. Anyway, when LDR said a little bit of RHCP in NFR, I'm wondering if she meant this song in particular. The melodies are way different, of course, but the songs also share an acoustic guitar vibe in the first half.

Venice Queen

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Does it go from east to west

Body free and a body less

Come again just to start a fresh

Once again to find a home

In the moment of the meantime

Dropping in coming through the mesh

Checking in just to get it blessed

Hard to leave when it's picturesque and

Find a form that's free to roam

Where you come from

Where you going

Where you come from

Where you going

Do it all then it all again

Make it up and you make a friend

Paddle on just around the bend and

Find a place where you can see

All the mamas and the papas

Take a chance on a recommend

Hard as hell just to comprehend

Disbelief that I do suspend and

Easy now to find a breeze

Where you come from

Where you going

Where you come from

Where you going

We all want to tell her

Tell her that we love her

Venice gets a queen

Best I've ever seen

We all want to kiss her

Tell her that we miss her

Venice gets a queen

Best I've ever

I know you said you don't believe

In God do you still disagree

Now that it's time for you to leave

G-L-O-R-I-A

Is love my friend

My friend

My friend

Your stylish mess of silver hair

A woman of your kind is rare

Your uniform returns to air

G-L-O-R-I-A

Is love my friend

My friend

My friend

And now it's time for you to go

You taught me most of what I know

Where would I be without you Glo

G-L-O-R-I-A

Is love my friend

My friend

My friend

I see you standing by the sea

The waves you made will always be

A kiss goodbye before you leave

G-L-O-R-I-A

Is love my friend

My friend

My friend

Source: LyricFind

Songwriters: Michael Balzary / John Frusciante / Anthony Kiedis / Chad Smith

I agree it's like a female response to this. Also the constant yeah's throughout the song...

This is fun: https://www.abc.net.au/doublej/music-reads/features/the-best-long-songs/12107696

Up until 18 months ago, the very thought of a ten-minute-long Lana Del Rey song would have sent me to sleep.

The best artists find a way to silence their haters, and 'Venice Bitch' – one of the many perfect moments on Del Rey's 2019 classic Norman Fucking Rockwell! – puts me right in my place every time I hear it.

For the first few minutes its her simple but rich lyrics that captivate us.

'Fear fun, fear love, fresh out of fucks forever. Tryin' to be stronger for you' is millennial anxiety manifest.

But through the second half of the song, the musical textures take over. And it all starts to feel a bit uncomfortable. The arrangement, which had been built of warm fingerpicked guitar, is soon overrun with spacey synths and Del Rey's hallucinatory incantations.

Evoking nostalgia is Lana Del Rey's most powerful tool, but there's something discomfited among the wistful vibe here. Because nothing's ever really as beautiful as it seems. – Dan Condon

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

Venice Bitch will always be her magnum opus.

It sure is one of her most ambitious and atmospheric tracks to date. I hope there are a couple of songs that are similar to that one (and FIILY and CG, the holy trinity of trippiness)

42 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

That photo is so iconic. It’s candid and fun, and feels like a snapshot of a very carefree time - which is perfect for the bittersweet nostalgia of Venice Bitch :xcry:

i agree about the energy… but the actual single cover of the plants couldn’t be a better representation of the green fragility in that song!! The plants are so psychedelic and that hot warm glow around the house’s features almost lets you feel the sun on the back of your neck. i know its just a candid little iphone photo, and maybe staring at it while listening on acid gave me a bias, but i still think this is one of the top singles of her career. it felt like everything as an artist lead up to the premier of those two songs. it begun a whole new chapter! it solidified the confidence we need that even 11 or so years into her career now, she still finds ways to innovate!