Elle

“Violet Bent Backwards over the Grass” hardcover Poetry Book Pre-Release Thread

Lana Del Rey's poetry Book "Violet Bent Backwards over the Grass" will be released September 29th, 2020.

The book will be 112 pages and released through publishing company Simon & Schuster. Some of the proceeds from the book will be donated to Navajo Water Project.

Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass is the title poem of the book and the first poem I wrote of many. Some of which came to me in their entirety, which I dictated and then typed out, and some that I worked laboriously picking apart each word to make the perfect poem. They are eclectic and honest and not trying to be anything other than what they are and for that reason I’m proud of them, especially because the spirit in which they were written was very authentic.” —Lana Del Rey

Lana’s breathtaking first book solidifies her further as “the essential writer of her times” (The Atlantic). The collection features more than thirty poems, many exclusive to the book: Never to Heaven, The Land of 1,000 Fires, Past the Bushes Cypress Thriving, LA Who Am I to Love You?, Tessa DiPietro, Happy, Paradise Is Very Fragile, Bare Feet on Linoleum, and many more. This beautiful hardcover edition showcases Lana’s typewritten manuscript pages alongside her original photography. The result is an extraordinary poetic landscape that reflects the unguarded spirit of its creator.

Preorder the hard cover book here. Preorder the digital e-book here.

50091907047_3e82d81379_o.jpg

previous OP:

Lana will be self-releasing her poetry book with about 30 poems! Titled “Violet Bent Backwards over the Grass”

She plans to release the book this year before Norman Fucking Rockwell.

Edited by Elle

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

Cool

President Obama wears a violet tie, and it is Violet  not violent as I have seen people making a mistake.

Very poetic

Could be some interesting pre-release bundles coming with "Norman Fucking Rockwell" 

(does everyone think this title shall be the final title in the US?"

think both the reference to the poetry book and the album and the song Venice Bitch needs an older perspective.

Venice Bitch from the first second reminds me of the song that pre-Lana was one of only 3 songs since 1968 that I ever considered to be the greatest song of all time. All 3 are referenced in Venice Beach. (MacArthur's Park sung by RIchard Harris, Someone saved my life Elton/Bernie,

and Being Boring by Neil Tenant & Chris Lowe Pet Shop Boys).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The main reference the song is like would be Jimmy Webb's 1967 written "Macarthur Park" which was finally explained a few years ago

Every single reference in the song was something Webb saw in "Macarthur Park" (which is in the Los Angeles (Hollywood) area.

And was a love song to a woman Jimmy Webb had broken up with.

The melody a few seconds later took me five/six full listens to realize it was "Our House" written by Graham Nash (who at the time was living with Joni Mitchell) and sung by Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young. This was written in 1970

Interspersed (as with Mariners Apartment Complex) (so is MAC actually a reference to MacArthur Park?) are references to very early 
Elton John (1967 to 1972) and Tiny Dancer, Skyline Pidgeon, the self titled Elton John album, Tumbleweed Connection

and the legendary producer Gus Dundgeon & Arranger Paul Buckmaster

later on in the song there are references to "Crimson & Clover" written and sung by Tommy James & Paul Lucia Jr.which came after MacArthur Park in later 1968, and like MAC Park had many musical shifts.

Also referenced in the song are many Beatles songs including Elton's version of Lucy in the sky with Diamonds,  but with tinges

of Day in the Life,  Daniel (which was similar to Space Oddity and utilized both Gus & Paul)

and the Elton influenced "Bohemian Rhapsody".

---------------------------------------

A very kaleidoscope

Glen Campbell was a part of the "Wrecking Crew" studio musicians that were the music behind MAC Park and Jimmy Webb wrote

and Glen sang "Witchita Lineman" which to me is referenced in the video with the Electrical polls/units (as does the Tiny Dancer official video only recently commissioned by Elton.

Then the mellotron and the harpsichord both used greatly by the producer of the Beatles George Martin (damn shame he passed away in 2016).

----------------------------------------------------------------

Norman Fucking Rockwell has a connotation to those who are old enough

That is the "All American" proverbial that personally is quite eerie 

When I got married, one of our friends said to her, So you got your "White picket fence".

An America that in reality in the 50s did NOT exist and most certainly does not exist at this moment in time

(and over the years, there are many many people who questioned if Rockwell himself was a racist (or was promoting/capitalizing on racism)

Re:the whole current issue of immigrants and immigration and not being welcome conflicting with the reality that most people actually

want their own little place (be it a little house or apartment) with a proverbial picket fence and their own garden and to live in peace love and harmony (trump need not apply nor his bots)

So there is specific meaning in the usage of Norman Fucking Rockwell.

=====================================================================

"Violet bent backwards over the grass" (and the ultraviolet (not violence) reference is America gone amok and offtrack

and to me pictures a title like Paul Simon's quite poetic "Rene and Georgette Magritte and their dog After the War (the dogs name)

which segues into French later on. And also Simon's "Kodachrome" song, and the horrific "My little town" with its last line conjuring up 

images of Lana's Is this Happiness.

And also conjures up Neil & Chris' Pet Shop Boys Being Boring (to me the most poetic song there is, and my favorite PSB song also

perhaps one of their totally untypical songs when one thinks of PSB, who were the last pre-Lana new artist that continuous to this day

who came after Elton (and really thought there would never be anyone who came later that would join that list).

edit to add more-

upon rewatching the Venice video another 7 times-

the highway, cars, no matter what lane Lana is in, nobody passes her

much like my opinion of Lana on the boardwalk in Salvatore looking back, and nobody catches up to her

Always one step ahead, and just when one would think....she moves further ahead

over and over and over again

As for the book being self-produced, self-sold any which way she chooses, 100% is hers.  (and still possible would be

forwarding some when the time is appropriate to select other places should she choose).

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

:pray: Please be released near my birthday or Christmas. Then I can subtly ask my boyfriend to get it.

I love the title and I hope it's like Florence's. I want it to be full of pictures aswell as poetry.

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

I wish my english was better so I could understand poetry ! I don't even understand the title  :toofunny: I cannot even read a novel in english I feel so ashamed, I only know the simple basic english I'm using rn

Slay anyway !

It was only a matter of time before she did this. I always viewed her as in the same vein as Jim Morrison and Leonard Cohen--a poet before anything.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.