graham4anything

2020 USA Democratic Presidential General Election

4 hours ago, daisy fresh witch said:

I am tired of the vote shaming. People shaming others for voting third party or not voting at all. Someone I considered an old friend saying on Twitter that she will be unfollowing and removing the followers who don't vote for Biden. 

You are not choosing between two candidates, you are choosing who will oppress you for the next four years. Your civic duty is to undermine these systems, not reinforce and legitimize them. So many people on my timeline were putting out those cute little infographics in June about police abolition or just reform and now they're voting in JOE BIDEN and KAMALA HARRIS. The contrast between the two sentiments is comedic gold. 

If you need some old, wise person telling you this stuff, read Simone Weil's "On the Abolition of All Political Parties" or http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/45a/298.html by W.E.B. Dubois. 

Lastly, I know it's hard in this digital age where you are constantly on display and expected to be perfect. We spend hours crafting our image to look a certain way. But try to recognize that this virtue signaling of black squares and buzzword tweets is coming from a place of mass insecurity. 

I respectfully disagree with many of your points. While I think our current political climate has lead to the formation of mob mentality, it is only evident on the internet. You mention that your friend will “unfriend/unfollow” people who don’t vote for Biden—this means nothing in the real world. To be a fully functioning member of society, she will still need to collaborate with Trump-voters in her everyday personal and professional life; she simply has no choice. The illusion of control over our social circles garnered by the internet is just that, an illusion. The cases of actual full-fledged “boycotting” (both personally and professionally) due to voting preferences is remarkably low, especially in as divisive times as these. 

I’m curious what you define as “oppression”. The crime rate has steadily declined since 1990, the 3rd US has the highest quality of education in the world, lowest infant mortality rate, and 5th highest literacy rate (99% of people over the age of 15). More so, Biden’s plans will not depress these facts (he will not oppress the growth we have been seeing for the past 30 years). He plans on making community college debt-free—a crucial step towards equal access to education—the staggered introduction of medicare for all, and a 2 trillion dollar climate change proposal. I fail to see how any of these things are oppressive. 

On the issue of criminal justice, Biden/Harris plan to ban for-profit-prison, and an independent Task Force on Prosecutorial Discretion, expanding the power of the Justice Department to investigate police behavior, decriminalizing marijuana, investing in the offices of public defenders, offering alternatives to detention, and more. He also supports the elimination of mandatory minimum sentencing. 

I concede, their records may not be stellar, but, if we were to go by what politicians said and did in the past; Trump would be pro-choice, Graham would’ve voted against Barrett, and Clinton would be behind bars. I believe people can change, for both good and bad. I think we owe to an individual to trust in their personal growth. 

As for Simone Weil’s, her writings almost exclusively apply to 1930s-40s France, as she concedes early in her essay that political parties work well (or, at least, better) in the UK. Also, parties provide something like a legitimate opposition. Without this “regulated rivalry” there can be no democratic accountability. Parties structure political choices for an electorate in a way that Weil’s intellectual magazines never could—and in a way that the internet cannot today. Weil’s died at 34, mainly because she failed to see what was going on in the real world: Despite being physically frail she toiled at a Renault assembly line in order to share the fate of the workers (although she was eventually fired, as she could not keep up); she lived in unheated flats and gave her money to the poor; and she volunteered on the side of the soldiers fighting Franco’s fascists in Spain (but had to be evacuated after stepping in a pot of boiling oil). During the second World War she worked for Gen de Gaulle’s Free French in London. But she also starved herself, refusing to eat more than what she (wrongly) thought to be the ration of her compatriots in Nazi-occupied France (per the Irish Times). 

Political parties are not perfect, but without them, there would be no accountability within democracy. I won’t tell someone which way to vote—though, should the person be willing, I would love to hear why they chose to vote a certain way. Our civic duty is simply to vote. Our duty as citizens is not, and never has been, to “undermine” the systems that largely keep us safe, no matter wether you believe they do their job properly. Anarchy is not a civic duty. 

Screenshot-2024-04-17-at-6-31-05-PM.png

who's afraid of little old me?

17 hours ago, Mer Boy said:

I respectfully disagree with many of your points. While I think our current political climate has lead to the formation of mob mentality, it is only evident on the internet. You mention that your friend will “unfriend/unfollow” people who don’t vote for Biden—this means nothing in the real world. To be a fully functioning member of society, she will still need to collaborate with Trump-voters in her everyday personal and professional life; she simply has no choice. The illusion of control over our social circles garnered by the internet is just that, an illusion. The cases of actual full-fledged “boycotting” (both personally and professionally) due to voting preferences is remarkably low, especially in as divisive times as these. 

I’m curious what you define as “oppression”. The crime rate has steadily declined since 1990, the 3rd US has the highest quality of education in the world, lowest infant mortality rate, and 5th highest literacy rate (99% of people over the age of 15). More so, Biden’s plans will not depress these facts (he will not oppress the growth we have been seeing for the past 30 years). He plans on making community college debt-free—a crucial step towards equal access to education—the staggered introduction of medicare for all, and a 2 trillion dollar climate change proposal. I fail to see how any of these things are oppressive. 

On the issue of criminal justice, Biden/Harris plan to ban for-profit-prison, and an independent Task Force on Prosecutorial Discretion, expanding the power of the Justice Department to investigate police behavior, decriminalizing marijuana, investing in the offices of public defenders, offering alternatives to detention, and more. He also supports the elimination of mandatory minimum sentencing. 

I concede, their records may not be stellar, but, if we were to go by what politicians said and did in the past; Trump would be pro-choice, Graham would’ve voted against Barrett, and Clinton would be behind bars. I believe people can change, for both good and bad. I think we owe to an individual to trust in their personal growth. 

As for Simone Weil’s, her writings almost exclusively apply to 1930s-40s France, as she concedes early in her essay that political parties work well (or, at least, better) in the UK. Also, parties provide something like a legitimate opposition. Without this “regulated rivalry” there can be no democratic accountability. Parties structure political choices for an electorate in a way that Weil’s intellectual magazines never could—and in a way that the internet cannot today. Weil’s died at 34, mainly because she failed to see what was going on in the real world: Despite being physically frail she toiled at a Renault assembly line in order to share the fate of the workers (although she was eventually fired, as she could not keep up); she lived in unheated flats and gave her money to the poor; and she volunteered on the side of the soldiers fighting Franco’s fascists in Spain (but had to be evacuated after stepping in a pot of boiling oil). During the second World War she worked for Gen de Gaulle’s Free French in London. But she also starved herself, refusing to eat more than what she (wrongly) thought to be the ration of her compatriots in Nazi-occupied France (per the Irish Times). 

Political parties are not perfect, but without them, there would be no accountability within democracy. I won’t tell someone which way to vote—though, should the person be willing, I would love to hear why they chose to vote a certain way. Our civic duty is simply to vote. Our duty as citizens is not, and never has been, to “undermine” the systems that largely keep us safe, no matter wether you believe they do their job properly. Anarchy is not a civic duty. 

haha no offense, but Biden/Harris promises and proposals are worthless at this point so I'm not even going to touch on that. If you think these systems are actually "largely keeping us safe", you are very privileged, my friend. why let a system that is killing and exploiting people just exist without consequences? it IS our civic duty to protest unjust treatment. if the system only works via regulated rivalry, then there's a problem. and sorry that you can't feel others oppression I guess, but oppression is rooted in American "democracy." 

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189

18 hours ago, Mer Boy said:

Our duty as citizens is not, and never has been, to “undermine” the systems that largely keep us safe, no matter wether you believe they do their job properly. Anarchy is not a civic duty. 

Not to sound too dramatic but this sentence sounds soooo bad. There is no democracy without looking at the system in a critical way. Leaders always take advantage of numb and blind people who are willing to compromise. There are too many bad examples in history where people became enablers of a regime by believing exactly what you wrote in that sentence.

2 hours ago, wild caged animal said:

Not to sound too dramatic but this sentence sounds soooo bad. There is no democracy without looking at the system in a critical way. Leaders always take advantage of numb and blind people who are willing to compromise. There are too many bad examples in history where people became enablers of a regime by believing exactly what you wrote in that sentence.

ya sure, and writing in your dogs name on a ballot is gonna fix that lol. 

3 hours ago, daisy fresh witch said:

haha no offense, but Biden/Harris promises and proposals are worthless at this point so I'm not even going to touch on that. If you think these systems are actually "largely keeping us safe", you are very privileged, my friend. why let a system that is killing and exploiting people just exist without consequences? it IS our civic duty to protest unjust treatment. if the system only works via regulated rivalry, then there's a problem. and sorry that you can't feel others oppression I guess, but oppression is rooted in American "democracy." 

writing a third party on your ballot is the definition of performative activism sorry. 

24 minutes ago, Mer Boy said:

writing a third party on your ballot is the definition of performative activism sorry. 

actually the numbers for libertarian parties have been increasing over the years and I feel like this election is going to be a huge change so even if the libertarian candidate doesn’t win it will still put a third party on the map so we don’t feel forced to vote blue or red.

i love you, but you don't understand me.

26 minutes ago, Mer Boy said:

that's fucked up tbh. because someone doesn't want to vote for a dem or republican they're doing performative activism? that's just such a fucked up way of looking at politics. i will never vote dem or gop for lots of reasons. seriously shaming third party voters? some of you are so backwards i swear

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189

Just now, daisy fresh witch said:

that's fucked up tbh. because someone doesn't want to vote for a dem or republican they're doing performative activism? that's just such a fucked up way of looking at politics. i will never vote dem or gop for lots of reasons. seriously shaming third party voters? some of you are so backwards i swear

don’t bring up voter shaming dude, you literally called a vote for Biden a vote for an oppressive system. that’s the definition of voter shaming.

all i’m saying is your reasons for voting third party is flawed, i won’t tell you how to vote. good day!

me in 2016:

11 hours ago, new gods said:

actually the numbers for libertarian parties have been increasing over the years and I feel like this election is going to be a huge change so even if the libertarian candidate doesn’t win it will still put a third party on the map so we don’t feel forced to vote blue or red.

:godlaugh2:

the libertarian party did shit to attract voters for this election. Im surprised people are actually voting for JoJo. what the 2016 election did was made republicans flock to a party that is pro abortion, open borders and pro-LGBT rights and then complain as to why the libertarian party is pro in these issues... did they not read the About Us page or something? I was so high and proud of voting libertarian in 2016 and all of y'all in here gave me shit for it lmao. It is truly unfortunate that my decision for voting for someone else indirectly helps elect trump. 

I voted democrat all the way down this year, I have to play with the crumbs given to me. ill play around with 3rd parties in 2022 or later 

if y'all really want third parties to rule y'all need to vote for the local runners not outright vote for presidential runners. be strategic 

On 10/27/2020 at 9:19 PM, Mer Boy said:

i think it will be almost solid blue by 2028/2032 

Texas would already be blue if it weren't THE state of gerrymandering (don't get me wrong it's huge in all battleground states, S/O to my homestate of Wisconsin) but Texas is literally only red because of it.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/videos/what-are-the-chances-well-know-the-next-president-on-election-night/

Nate Silver breaks it down pretty good. based on 40,000 election night simulations: there’s a 10% chance Trump wins on election night, 30% biden wins (but less than 300EC), and 60% biden wins (with more than 300EC). he says in the former 2 scenarios, we won’t know the result on election night (too close to call). So all-in-all 40% chance we won’t know winner by 3amEST Nov. 4th.

10 hours ago, Mer Boy said:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/videos/what-are-the-chances-well-know-the-next-president-on-election-night/

Nate Silver breaks it down pretty good. based on 40,000 election night simulations: there’s a 10% chance Trump wins on election night, 30% biden wins (but less than 300EC), and 60% biden wins (with more than 300EC). he says in the former 2 scenarios, we won’t know the result on election night (too close to call). So all-in-all 40% chance we won’t know winner by 3amEST Nov. 4th.

:defeated: dont get my hopes up like this

honestly, even if biden wins i doubt trump will leave office willingly like the good ol fascist he is :facepalm:

16 hours ago, past the bushes said:

Let's manifest Chemtrails releasing instead chile-

I'm just saying. He's making inroads with the Black and Latinx communities, which Biden needs to win but he won't. I'm not manifesting a Trump win, I'm just looking at the facts.

giphy.gif