graham4anything

2020 USA Democratic Presidential General Election

1 hour ago, knives said:

all in all, i agree, the only way to improve our country is to reach out to people and educate, but not everyone is capable of doing so. the article you linked to (idk, i didnt read the entire thing) is probably an example of folks like me, who just do not have the time, or effort, or emotional capability to hang around these people and explain basic human decency.

@knives

You should never feel the need to justify your existence to someone who won’t truly listen, understand, or properly seek out more information on their own. I hope you’re ok! ❤️ 

BF77-AD48-C18-D-4144-B349-27-DC6-F78-CD7

52 minutes ago, Fat Mike said:

You use some kind of new language that older people are supposed to totally get. Men are supposed to have more than one category now, too. And that's normal, right? Next you'll tell me that todlers are supposed to choose their own gender identity, and it's my problem if I don't get that. You're right if you think I don't completely understand this new world of identity issues and catagories.  

You need to stop relying on other people to explain to you current, common topics. Information is now more accessible than ever. ❤️ 

BF77-AD48-C18-D-4144-B349-27-DC6-F78-CD7

5 minutes ago, Turtledove said:

YangGang2024 (anyone?) (heart if you even know who andrew yang is lol) 

Honestly here for either Harris/Yang 2024 or Harris/Buttigieg 2024

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

18 minutes ago, Fat Mike said:

But if one side thinks the other side is Satan, and one side thinks the other side is Nazis, then how do we resolve that?

fam i know ur not contrasting a real genuine problem in our world (nazism) with the bibles equivalent of the boogeyman...

personally, i’m not anti-republican...i think sometimes less government intervention does results in better prices and freedom of choice. but the modern day GOP doesn’t represent traditional republican values. Trump and the GOP are actually doing a very anti-conservative thing by dictating who gets access to healthcare, abortion, a working justice system, tax cuts, and who’s 401k thrives. If the GOP was lead by Romney, I would disagree with him, but i wouldn’t necessarily think he’s a threat to Western Democracy. If the 2024 Election comes down to Nikki Hayley vs. Kamala Harris, I won’t be having a panic attack if Hayley takes a lead on election night. You see what I mean? No ones saying being conservative is bad, but Trump is no conservative.  

3 minutes ago, Fat Mike said:

Yeah, where are the fiscal conservatives? It was Dick Cheney who said "deficits don't matter." That's when that started. I always kind of liked Mittens Romney. He has the purple vibe. But if you're not partial to Christians, you might consider him to be a particularly wacky one because he's Mormon. I don't mind people of faith. I can get along with a lot of people who believe in God. But then politics comes into play and ruins everything. As politics is wont to do. Mittens went right for the new SCOTUS appointee. He was the first to jump in line. And that's what causes a schism in my thinking. I like Mittens. But I have to believe that a woman should have sovereignty over her own body. Oh look, it's politics ruining everything again. Now it's one side against the other again. 

i'm sorry but "mittens romney" :rollin:

WGe8ynS.gif

3 hours ago, Fat Mike said:

I don't even know what "cisgender" means. Maybe you can hang around for another minute and explain that to me. You guys all brought up references to gender and identity issues. You use some kind of new language that older people are supposed to totally get. Men are supposed to have more than one category now, too. And that's normal, right? Next you'll tell me that todlers are supposed to choose their own gender identity, and it's my problem if I don't get that. You're right if you think I don't completely understand this new world of identity issues and catagories.  

I'm not saying anyone should reach out to Trump supporters or accept bigots. A lot of them don't want you reaching out to them anyway. They think you're Satan. And you think they're Nazis. I don't know how we can go on as a country if both sides continue to dehumanize each other. And what if you weren't all really Satan, and they weren't all really Nazis? What if there's a lot of gray area and human nature involved? 

heres the definition of cisgender. i guess i'm just confused now. do you want people reaching out to each other or not? and i understand that there are "fiscally conservative, socially liberal" types of people out there. theres a lot of gray, that's just human nature. i just think in all cases, peoples' civil rights take precedence over the economy. i get that both/all parties prioritize freedom, equality, and order differently. which is why bipartisanship is not working in this country.

on another note, the "proud boys" are rioting in dc. where are the rubber bullets and tear gas? or is that only for peaceful blm protestors?

anwayssssss...changing off of this topic bc clearly ignorance is preferred to facing harsh truths for some people....

If Donald Trump had won a 2nd term, it would be the first time in US History that 4 2-term Presidents served consecutively. In fact, there has only been two times in history where 3 2-termers served consecutively: Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and James Monroe; Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Barack Obama. So presidents 3, 4, and 5 were consecutive two-termers; and 42, 43, and 44 were consecutive two-termers. We may not have another run like that in a very long time (which is weird for me personally, because I have only ever lived under 2 term presidents so far). 

I, a 4th year psychology major specializing in sexology, am not about to debate someone on the importance of gender identity/dysmorphia awareness on a thread dedicated to the 2020 US Election and Presidential Transition. So here's a picture of the man Donald Trump thinks is gonna get him the presidency back: 

be7e6ed8b9b0b0d1e8e3799f9fde5e84.jpg

also if you are interested in attending January's Inauguration in the Capitol, you can write to your Senator or House Member and you will receive free tickets if they have any left. 

4 hours ago, Fat Mike said:

I agree with you about civil rights coming first. I believe in the social safety net for all and access to affordable healthcare for all. I've been a registered Democrat since 1988. I've blown up balloons at a Democratic convention. I've canvassed door to door for liberal causes. 

My concerns are about more emphasis being put on incivility and destruction by younger forces from within the Dem party. The woke mob is why minority votes went up for team red. The woke mob is why Dems nearly lost the House, and why control of the Senate is hinging on the runoff votes in Georgia. 

The Dems don't necessarily have a mandate right now. Okay, Biden can say he has a "mandate for action." He won. But overall, our country is divided. Biden also says he will work just as hard for people who didn't vote for him. IMHO that's how we need to be thinking right now. We need to be extending an olive branch, not inflaming tensions.

AOC, the Squad, including new members of the Squad, are openly saying they're not going to be civil. I think that's a dangerous outlook. AOC may be more of a drag to the party than she realizes. Most people think the Green New Deal is too expensive. I agreed with Cory Booker over AOC, when he said he would accept new Amazon jobs in NJ, after AOC said they weren't good enough for NYC. If Booker and AOC were somehow in the same district and I lived in that district, I would vote for Booker over AOC.

The Dems can't stop fighting with each other. That's why they're losing votes. Just today, Warnock in Georgia made a statement about Chuck Schumer, saying that the Georgia runoff was about the people of Georgia, not about having control of the Senate. I can see what he's saying. But what's his point? Repuplicans would never do to each other what Democrats do to each other. Republicans fall in line and stick together -- Democrats don't. It seems like Dems fight with themselves as much as they fight with team red. 

The gender issues send a lot of people to the right. I'm the person who makes friends with the guy who wears a dress. I have no problem with people just being themselves. Although, when you get to some kind of weird new gray area, where people are thinking it's OK for toddlers to choose their own gender identity, then I get alarmed that some people have gone crazy. And that's what I'm thinking, the guy who has been a liberal his whole life.

I don't expect people to accept me. In fact, I've learned to deal with the reality that some people won't accept me. In a way, I don't belong on team blue or team red. I'm a freak. I don't really belong anywhere. I understand that might not be the healthiest attitude to have. But I would prefer to live as a recluse. I could make up a whole list of things about myself that I would like other people to accept, but they won't. 

I understand how people can become emotional about gender issues, and how gender issues can become their total focus. But what if some people will never accept you, and you just have to deal with that? Should we try and assimilate to society? 

toddlers can choose their own gender identity

source: chose my gender identity as a toddler

giphy.gif

On 11/18/2020 at 7:14 PM, Fat Mike said:

I usually don't panic. It's just that I wonder if we're going to be the 'States of America,' come January 20th, instead of the United States.

This is how millions people felt like back in 2016. Generally speaking, I’m feeling much better about the US this time around. I think we’re on the right track with a leader who is very interested in unity. Of course, these are heavily polarizing times, but what made everything 100x worse is all about to officially get kicked the fck out :) 

19 minutes ago, Venice said:

This is how millions people felt like back in 2016. Generally speaking, I’m feeling much better about the US this time around. I think we’re on the right track with a leader who is very interested in unity. Of course, these are heavily polarizing times, but what made everything 100x worse is all about to officially get kicked the fck out :) 

i think the division is largely illusory, due to both social and mainstream media. i don’t think anyone is actually shunning certain voters in places of business, or even socially tbh—except in cases of true radicalism. the twitter wars back and forth aren’t a good sample of the real, rational ppl that overwhelmingly make up our population (bc real rational ppl have better things to do then fight about conspiracy theories on twitter).  

and i honestly think most of the 72 million trump voters only voted that way because of misinformation about “the economy”. 

i do think we’re on the right track, and i’m hoping we continue this by having an administration that makes college more universal. the lack of education (not just college-level education, but the social education one gets in college) is what’s lead us to where we are right now. 

1 minute ago, Mer Boy said:

i think the division is largely illusory, due to both social and mainstream media. i don’t think anyone is actually shunning certain voters in places of business, or even socially tbh—except in cases of true radicalism. the twitter wars back and forth aren’t a good sample of the real, rational ppl that overwhelmingly make up our population (bc real rational ppl have better things to do then fight about conspiracy theories on twitter).  

and i honestly think most of the 72 million trump voters only voted that way because of misinformation about “the economy”. 

i do think we’re on the right track, and i’m hoping we continue this by having an administration that makes college more universal. the lack of education (not just college-level education, but the social education one gets in college) is what’s lead us to where we are right now. 

I agree with you. I think all parties generally want the same things in terms of those large-scale goals, and I truly hope for more accessibility and affordability in education. I love the way you think.

15 minutes ago, Fat Mike said:

I just want to get to January 20th. I think I'm in shock about the disputed election results. As of tonight, Georgia has been declared for Biden and I think all of the lawsuits been thrown out now. So there's really no next move, that I'm aware of, in disputing the results. 

I get you - may everything go over smoothly by that date! PA certifies in a few days which is one of the last and biggest controversial state rn, and while I'm sure there will be no shortage of people who disagree with the results, hopefully there will at least be peace. 

I wanna say that the mass media of the United States created the far right followers and Trump as a president and it is 100% their fault. Regurgitating and talking about Trump, QAnon and the Tea Party over and over and over and over did nothing but peak interest over a demographic people who felt left in the dust. Had they not given so much free air time over this despicable man, he would've lost the republican nominee easily. Very unfortunate that over 70 million people are cult followers of a delusional ideology. And I call them that because no real conservative person with a brain would be a Trump follower or supporter. 

In the end, 70 million people got brainwashed while they call other people brainwashed sheep's. I think we're all brainwashed and we are just arguing as to who is the least b'washed lol

22 minutes ago, Fat Mike said:

Back when W. Bush was "elected" for a second term, everyone on the left complained about Diebold e-ballot machines flipping votes. I still think that election was stolen, and W. wouldn't have even had a first term had SCOTUS not ruled against counting some votes in Florida. SCOTUS actually ruled to throw some votes away (if you're too young to remember). Then the war eras started -- which was all based on false intelligence reports of Iraq having weapons of mass destruction. 

So we have this checkered past we have to accept as Americans. We always have. Pick an era. But I'm concerned now that neither team blue nor team red wants to stop hating each other. We were always able to move on before. But now it's as if America is stuck in this one place. As of yesterday, a new poll suggests that half of Republicans believe there was election fraud in this election. I don't really trust polls anymore. But however high the margin of error is for that recent poll, no matter how you look at it, there are a hell of a lot of people who believe this election was fraudulent.

We need federally mandated election standards. There has to be one clear way to do it. The autonomy of states is important. But when it comes to elections, there should be one way that everybody collects and tabulates votes. And we need a constitutional amendment to get rid of the electoral college. 

I was a smol child back when Bush won, and am not well-versed in American politics from back then (I'm Canadian)! That being said, despite the current tension, I really do have high hopes for the future with this presidency. That doesn't mean I don't have concerns either, but I do have faith in the good in people. As in, I think most do have good intentions and I guess we'll have to see how things play out over the years. Here's hoping for humanity :makeup:

anyone think the GOP will do an about face and say they went along with Trump’s claims of frauds in order to keep him pacified during the lame-duck period? Or is that placing to much humanity in the GOP?

6 hours ago, TRENCH said:

I wanna say that the mass media of the United States created the far right followers and Trump as a president and it is 100% their fault. Regurgitating and talking about Trump, QAnon and the Tea Party over and over and over and over did nothing but peak interest over a demographic people who felt left in the dust. Had they not given so much free air time over this despicable man, he would've lost the republican nominee easily. Very unfortunate that over 70 million people are cult followers of a delusional ideology. And I call them that because no real conservative person with a brain would be a Trump follower or supporter. 

In the end, 70 million people got brainwashed while they call other people brainwashed sheep's. I think we're all brainwashed and we are just arguing as to who is the least b'washed lol

I hope the history books include how this propaganda changed the course of US history. It’s unbelievable what’s out there and what people are believing. 

Info Dump for anyone who wants to keep up: 

Michigan has certified its votes, meaning it will send Biden electors on Dec. 14th to vote in the Electoral College. 

• PA will certify by end of day today, the process has began as I type this 
  • Other keystone states of Nevada, Arizona, and Wisconsin will certify on Nov 24th, 30th, and Dec 1st respectively 
  • The Electoral College will vote based off state certifications on Dec. 14th. After the large amount of faithless electors in 2016, there have been legal changes ensuring the EC votes will go to the winner of each states popular vote. Congress will then certify the votes shortly before Christmas. 

Biden has announced a few nominations for top jobs in his cabinet (remember this list still requires senate confirmation and is subject to change). 

• Former Sec. of State John Kerry will lead a Climate Change Prevention Group 
  • Former Deputy Sec. of State under Obama, Tony Blinken, will be Sec. of State
  • Jake Sullivan will be National Security Advisor 
  • Linda Thomas-Greene will be Ambassador to the UN (the second Black women to hold the role, I believe, after Susan Rice in 2013-2017) 
  • Alejandro Mayorkas will be Sec. of Homeland Security (the first Latin person to hold the role)
  • Avril Haines will be Director of National Intelligence (and the first woman to hold the job). The Director of the CIA, Trump appointed Gina Haspel, will report to her. 
  • Janet Yellen will serve as Treasury Secretary (replacing the beloved Steve Mnuchin). She will be the first woman in history to hold the job. 

PA has officially certified the 2020 results for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris, and it's basically a wrap. Even though Trump maintains confidence in his lawsuits and hasn't conceded, he has officially endorsed the decision of the GSA to transition to a Biden presidency.