Sign in to follow this  
Say Yes to Heaven

Hope is a Dangerous Thing for a Woman Like Me to Have - But I Have It [Sylvia]

She is clearly referring to depression and not taking a random dig at either of those two people in an insanely personal and raw song.

My thoughts exactly. Why would she ruin a beautiful song by mentioning someone like Azealia? She was obviously referring to herself.

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

shes gonna be dragged for being tone deaf/racism with juxtaposing shaking my ass/black narcissist

she should have known better not to include that line nnn

i think it's actually referencing kanye though, he's the one she called a narcissist on twitter

THE BLACK NARCISSUS.... NOT NARCISSIST. THAT MEANS THE DEVIL LMAOOOO

Okay I've heard it like 10 times already and I can definetly say, this might be one of her best lyrics yet and one of her best deepcuts ever, the raw emotion on her voice is just amazing.

8nl2OpX.png

edit: I see now the next line is followed up with "she"... 

Either way, I'm sure there will be some negative press around this lyric, but tbh, there's nothing untrue about what she said... Azaelia IS black and she IS a narcissist... just that putting those two words together will likely be misinterpreted by people sadly.

In a way though, I kind of love how she's back to not censoring herself in her music anymore. One of the reasons UV was so special was that there was no self-censorship; it was so real and genuine to her story, so if NFR continues this trend of being open again then I'm all for it!

The black narcissus is the devil...

The Black Narcissus line might be referring to the movie Black Narcissus (1942):

A group of Anglican nuns, led by Sister Clodagh, are sent to a mountain in the Himalayas. The climate in the region is hostile and the nuns are housed in an odd old palace. They work to establish a school and a hospital, but slowly their focus shifts. Sister Ruth falls for a government worker, Mr. Dean , and begins to question her vow of celibacy. As Sister Ruth obsesses over Mr. Dean, Sister Clodagh becomes immersed in her own memories of love.

It kinda ties in with the rest of the song I think, but it could be a reach. I don't think she was referring to Kanye or Azealia.

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Hm, I wonder if she wrote “don’t ask if I’m happy - you know that I’m not” because all the journalists kept asking her in every single interview if she was happy when they saw her smiling on the LFL cover art.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Is this a beautiful song? yes.

Does she sound great? absolutely.

Do I think it makes sense for the album? sure.

Should we have released this over some of the other snippets we heard, with a long ass title, and dumb af cover art? NOPE.

ok but can someone break down the 2nd verse for me i am confusion

My personal understanding:

Her past perception of love:

So there's her youth (fifteen year dances), her messy relationships, then being open to Bowery (which is a neighbourhood in NY) & Bowery Bums was a name for disaffiliated alcoholics and homeless persons which the place was known for (kidness of strangers)

Now the present perception:

the stage (finding her love in us), then being devoted to God & talking to him by all means even poor ones (her being a host for God making coffee in a messy pot, she has no other crockery set to present but she's still inviting him to talk)

After she's gone:

coming back to her roots and wanting to channel her dad from beyond the grave, the original love that comes from family.

Take this with a grain of salt, it's my own interpretation.

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

Is this a beautiful song? yes.

Does she sound great? absolutely.

Do I think it makes sense for the album? sure.

Should we have released this over some of the other snippets we heard, with a long ass title, and dumb af cover art? NOPE.

exactly

8bed6302093afb3474710b83255143a8.gif