Sign in to follow this  
Say Yes to Heaven

Hope is a Dangerous Thing for a Woman Like Me to Have - But I Have It [Sylvia]

I'm on my second listen and honestly, I don't know how I feel yet. Only time will tell. Going to make a coffee and blast this on my stereo for now.

tenor.gif?itemid=5819585

think about all of your failures (if you have any). Then, you'll get it

If by "black narcissist" she means Azealia... I'm here for another beef! Queens 

If by that she means her darker self/mental illnesses... she could've literally used any other word instead of equating the word black with something bad. Like yeah she definitely didn't mean it as a racist remark but there are so many ways you can say that without having this be an issue that... idk?? It kinda bugs me.

Anyways... I hope she comes through soon with How To Disappear cos a bitch is waiting 

Depression is often called “the black dog.” It’s a common metaphor. Like a dark shadow that follows you and keeps you lost in your own head.

Never heard it being called the black narcissist tho :um2:

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.

I really don't think she would say that about Azealia in a song, but the way she wrote it.....  :toofunny:  :toofunny:  whew

People aren't gonna like that.

I saw this explanation on the Genius lyrics page and it made sense to me so I'm just gonna post it here

“Black Narcissist” is the other version of herself. Often depression is depicted as being black and it only thinks of itself.

Lana is combatting it by having a fun time perhaps singing and touring. That’s the only thing keeping her away from her own depression. Nonetheless, she finds herself overthinking while trying to escape from that other self.

death grips is online !

I really don't think she would say that about Azealia in a song, but the way she wrote it.....  :toofunny:  :toofunny:  whew

People aren't gonna like that.

I saw this explanation on the Genius lyrics page and it made sense to me so I'm just gonna post it here

“Black Narcissist” is the other version of herself. Often depression is depicted as being black and it only thinks of itself.

Lana is combatting it by having a fun time perhaps singing and touring. That’s the only thing keeping her away from her own depression. Nonetheless, she finds herself overthinking while trying to escape from that other self.

I might be able to pretend to believe that if she says it herself

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.

Which is not about AB. So where is your point?

what’s the difference? my point is she’s passionate about her personal affairs and petty enough to dedicate the entirety of a song to it. a single line (that would generate buzz) is hardly a stretch

the line could be read or interpreted in countless ways. the fact of the matter is, Lana is a fucking troll and she knows how people would see it. this discussion would probably have the bitch cackling

ZRBNill.jpg

*so legit blares in the background*

i don't see the connection, she was bitter that gaga "sold out" and made it instead of her

But now she's Lana Del Rey, you really think she's going to let AB get to her so much that she'll call her a black narcissist in a heartfelt piano ballad?

Black and blue have always been used in literature for purposes of symbolism and metaphor. It's comical that we've reached a point that we can't even write about an innocent color without sparking debate, and even more so when the subject matter has much to do with depression in itself. Do you take everything at face value?

Never heard it being called the black narcissist tho :um2:

there is a thing where writers come up with new metaphors so as to eschew overt platitudes in their writing, you know

lana has always been full of platitudes but it seems like she's making an effort to be more original as time passes

i don't see the connection, she was bitter that gaga "sold out" and made it instead of her

But now she's Lana Del Rey, you really think she's going to let AB get to her so much that she'll call her a black narcissist in a heartfelt piano ballad?

Black and blue have always been used in literature for purposes of symbolism and metaphor. It's comical that we've reached a point that we can't even write about an innocent color without sparking debate, and even more so when the subject matter has much to do with depression in itself. Do you take everything at face value?

there is a thing where writers come up with new metaphors so as to eschew overt platitudes in their writing, you know

lana has always been full of platitudes but it seems like she's making an effort to be more original as time passes

*Fucked My Way Up To The Top plays in the background* jk sis  :hooker:

giphy.gifB8iC.gifgiphy.gif

lmao ‘innocent color’ ...

we’re not going to reach an agreement so what’s the point. neither of us will know the truth until (or if) she chooses to address it.

*Fucked My Way Up To The Top plays in the background* jk sis :hooker:

no, but really, it’s another example regarding her will (if not desire) to be controversial

ZRBNill.jpg