Sign in to follow this  
Say Yes to Heaven

Hope is a Dangerous Thing for a Woman Like Me to Have - But I Have It [Sylvia]

bit of a weird parallel but interesting that in Never to Heaven she mentions making coffee for someone as well?  wonder if it means anything

tumblr_inline_q2nkwneCwi1wb35v4_1280.png

Got a devil on my back as a tribute to my mother

I was randomly looking through her YouTube videos, and the amount of streams this song has are quite impressive, 10 million for the audio track alone, was this viral on tiktok or something? Was this a small hit for her?

I'm kind of shook since this is quite a long and slow track and quite hated by her own fan base so who is streaming this masterpiece? 

8nl2OpX.png

8 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

I was randomly looking through her YouTube videos, and the amount of streams this song has are quite impressive, 10 million for the audio track alone, was this viral on tiktok or something? Was this a small hit for her?

I'm kind of shook since this is quite a long and slow track and quite hated by her own fan base so who is streaming this masterpiece? 

Yeah, check Elle’s post above.

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

Idk if I made this post before, but something I wanted to add to this thread. The line about "writing in blood on your walls" changes, at first it's "on my walls", but then she changes it to "on your walls" and this line has multiple meanings. "My pen don't work in my notepad" She journals and her therapist or sister or someone has coached her to journal her feelings but it doesn't work. She has to write things on the wall for herself, and it's so serious, she needs to write it in blood because blood stains and blood is bright red. She also then flips it, that she needs to write her message and her feelings on YOUR walls because nobody is understanding her points and what she's saying. I feel like the way it ended NFR reflected what she felt last year and even this year, about the interviewers not understanding her and the reviewers not understanding her lyrics. She's also changing it from "in my notepad" to "don't look good in my pad". She's noticing that at first, she couldn't write for herself, but now, when she's trying to write to appeal to other people, it still doesn't fucking work and she doesn't write as beautifully as she does when she's writing for herself. It's a very interesting lyrical change

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

On 10/25/2018 at 1:22 PM, Say Yes to Heaven said:

There's a new revolution, a loud evolution, that I saw

Born of confusion and quiet collusion of which mostly I've known

A modern day woman with a weak constitution cause I've got

Monsters still under my bed that I could never fight off

A gatekeeper carelessly dropping the keys on my nights off

I believe this part could be about Lana’s mom. Her mom being a gatekeeper, telling her she’s not going to be successful as a singer when that was what she wanted to be. The gatekeeper carelessly dropping the keys on my nights off” meaning even when she’s not working and trying to , that gatekeeping person is still is dropping those keys, that she’s not going to succeed. The “monsters still under my bed” line could be about that, Lana being afraid of her mom when she was younger, that fear still fucking her up now. It could also be about a relationship, a guy being a gatekeeper, maybe a record executive back when she was younger downatthemeninmusicbusinessconference possibly. She has a weak mission statement (personal constitution) because of those monsters, whether that’s actually alcohol or her mom and the gatekeeper.

Very interesting song. The more I listen and think about it, the more I wanna dissect it. If we go with the idea that this line is about Lana’s mom, maybe the change in “writing on my walls” to “writing on your walls” isn’t a change from herself to the listener, but instead, a message to her mom or whoever the gatekeeper is.

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

the song is about recovery from alcoholism. alot of the lines are inside references to alcohol, AA, and recovery. If youve ever been in recovery, most of the lines are clear cut references...serving up God in a burnt coffee pot...15 year dances, church basement romances...she never cared less, I never cared more, the triad, it goes on and on. it's literally about AA and recovery

On 11/5/2019 at 12:59 PM, AnarKissed said:

During a recent interview with the Washington Post, L.D.R. made a curious remark regarding her song Hope. Here is that portion of the article: "Some of her most intimate and enigmatic phrases swirl alongside one another during “Hope Is a Dangerous Thing,” including the lyric, “Serving up God in a burnt coffee pot for the triad.” Would she explain what the triad is? “I will not,” she says, smiling and shrugging. “I’m not going to tell everybody everything. . . . There’s so much to be treasured [in a song], just keep to yourself so that nobody can trash it.”" I too have been wondering about her use of the term "triad". Some Members in the above thread have suggested that it refers to the Holy Trinity. Jiggy says that it could refer to the Dark Triad of psychology. These interpretations are interesting and may have validity. When I first heard the lyric I thought it could refer to three individuals, perhaps close family and/or friends whom L.D.R. has had as guests in her home. Then I wondered if she could be referring to one of the infamous Triads which are said to be a loose conglomeration of Organized Crime syndicates. But, seeing as she is now involved with a lawman, this last hypothesis may be the most spurious of my conjectures. I can't help but be reminded of a certain scene in David Lynch's modern-noir film Mulholland Drive in which he hints at the influence of Organize Crime in the movie business...but that's neither here nor there...

I really like all these different interpretations.

Servin' up god in a burnt coffee pot for the triad

Hello, it's the most famous woman you know on the iPad

Calling from beyond the grave I just wanna say, "Hi, Dad"

i'm almost positive these lyrics are about miss patty.. before i get into the lyrics, go watch lana's homemade music video for hope and look at her expressions as she says the lines

ok so my interpretation of the first lyric is lana being upset at her mom for sending her away.. patty sent lana away to a religious boarding school (presumably) because of her alcohol problem, this is where, even before AA and lana got into helping others within the AA system, lana may have first heard the many AA tropes and references she often slips into her music.. or maybe serving up god in a burnt coffee pot could just reference the shitty coffee they always have at AA meetings.. but i think any reference (specifically this one bc of the next lines though) to alcohol also ties into her relationship with her mother, because alcohol likely led to her being sent away, ruining the relationship, etc.. (ALLEGEDLY) 

ok and then for the second set of lyrics, i think lana is referring to her nonexistent relationship with her mother.. she doesn't know lana as her daughter anymore, she just knows her as this famous woman on her ipad that she hears about and maybe sees occasionally but doesn't ever truly connect to or have a relationship with.. and perhaps there could have been a time when lana was "dead to" patty, but still wanted to talk to her dad, so whenever she would come around she could feel like a ghost calling from beyond the grave of her mother's love in order to preserve her relationship with her father and family... which is a HUGE theme on ocean blvd as well

(or i might be crazy)

On 3/4/2023 at 1:54 AM, fl0r1dakil0s said:

Servin' up god in a burnt coffee pot for the triad

Hello, it's the most famous woman you know on the iPad

Calling from beyond the grave I just wanna say, "Hi, Dad"

i'm almost positive these lyrics are about miss patty.. before i get into the lyrics, go watch lana's homemade music video for hope and look at her expressions as she says the lines

ok so my interpretation of the first lyric is lana being upset at her mom for sending her away.. patty sent lana away to a religious boarding school (presumably) because of her alcohol problem, this is where, even before AA and lana got into helping others within the AA system, lana may have first heard the many AA tropes and references she often slips into her music.. or maybe serving up god in a burnt coffee pot could just reference the shitty coffee they always have at AA meetings.. but i think any reference (specifically this one bc of the next lines though) to alcohol also ties into her relationship with her mother, because alcohol likely led to her being sent away, ruining the relationship, etc.. (ALLEGEDLY) 

ok and then for the second set of lyrics, i think lana is referring to her nonexistent relationship with her mother.. she doesn't know lana as her daughter anymore, she just knows her as this famous woman on her ipad that she hears about and maybe sees occasionally but doesn't ever truly connect to or have a relationship with.. and perhaps there could have been a time when lana was "dead to" patty, but still wanted to talk to her dad, so whenever she would come around she could feel like a ghost calling from beyond the grave of her mother's love in order to preserve her relationship with her father and family... which is a HUGE theme on ocean blvd as well

(or i might be crazy)

Not crazy at all, I think you’re right (at least knowing what we know as fans). This is also supported by the fact that a fan asked Lana on her IG live on September 3, 2019 which lyric she was most proud of on the album — and she said “hello, it’s the most famous woman you know on the iPad / calling from beyond the grave, I just wanna say hi, Dad.”

And she said “every now and then you write a particular lyric and you know that it’s, like, impactful for you…for you only. Like, why did that…why did that come up for me? And in a way, I realized I wasn’t speaking to anybody except for my dad in that moment. You know, like, call me, you know?” 

At the time, I remember hearing her say that and kind of being able to decipher what she was getting at, but also knowing that it was probably an extremely veiled line with personal significance to her. But after recent insights on the last few records and her sharing more about her maternal relationship, this—in retrospect—actually reveals a lot. Hope is really a lyrical centre-point for her discography - it’s one of the most important and most autobiographical songs, as mysterious as it is. 

I’m still thinking about her chilling performance of this song in Newport. The choreography and subtle conviction in her delivery of certain lines have added more dimension to the song’s meaning for me. I see it as a lyrical tapestry that, fundamentally, is about her sobriety—but also makes a nod to strained familial relations and a darker underbelly to fame. It feels like a grounding force in her discography, and as she gets more diaristic and divulging in her writing, it’s as though ‘Hope’ becomes less and less obscure. Brilliant. 

On 10/25/2018 at 10:03 PM, cherryblossoms said:

I see the ‘try to force as much words into the melody’ style from Coachella has also returned

lol same thing with fingertips 4 years later