LOVE

Vinyl Collectors/Enthusiasts

love seeing some fellow discogs users on here, but curious what's the oldest vinyl you guys are collecting? interested to see 

I think the oldest vinyl record I have is a 12" single from 1994 (Confide In Me by Kylie lol). 

Isn't the cover gorgeous?

R-995021-1476618771-7378.jpeg.jpg

And it includes two brilliant remixes in addition to the album version.

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

love seeing some fellow discogs users on here, but curious what's the oldest vinyl you guys are collecting? interested to see

I’m surprisingly not a discogs user (I usually stick to thrift shops and ebay) but I collect a lot.

My guess is my oldest vinyl is probably Frank Sinatra’s Close to You (1957). Most of my 40s/50s stuff are reissues or compilations but that one’s vintage.

The oldest one I’m actively looking for at the moment though is Surfin Safari (1962) because it’s the only 60s Beach Boys album I don’t have which makes me sad.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

@ @@SlowGinFizzzz @@recklessdaughter i still love the active collecting of vinyl, i'm not sure exactly what my oldest piece is but i have a lot of queen, the doors, kiss, 60s/70s records. i love finding originals or at least 2nd pressings so that i can hear what it sounded like then instead of an mp3 being ripped. i love vinyl so much. 

does anyone have like a most cherished piece?

insanity laughs under pressure -- we're cracking

My “most cherished” pieces are probably just random rare stuff. Buckingham Nicks is definitely one of them. It’s a second pressing (1975 instead of 1973) and took me forever to find at a reasonable price. The Wind in the Willows (Debbie Harry’s first band/album) is another like that for that reason.

And pretty much any album that’s out of print and not on streaming services feels like a treasure to me haha.

All my Lana Del Rey albums for sure too though. I have 2-3 copies of each album (different versions) including AKA and Unreleased (bootleg but still important to me). Not as big as other people’s LDR collections but she’s the only artist I have multiple copies for, so they do mean a lot to me. Someday I’d like to separate them from everything else and give them their own shelf.

In general, all my Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac and Joni Mitchell album collections are pretty precious to me too. They took a long time to collect and it’s all vintage (except for Rumours&Mirage oops).

I have so many records that it’s hard for me to single it down to one most cherished record.

Buckingham Nicks might really be it though.

My “most cherished” pieces are probably just random rare stuff. Buckingham Nicks is definitely one of them. It’s a second pressing (1975 instead of 1973) and took me forever to find at a reasonable price. The Wind in the Willows (Debbie Harry’s first band/album) is another like that for that reason.

And pretty much any album that’s out of print and not on streaming services feels like a treasure to me haha.

All my Lana Del Rey albums for sure too though. I have 2-3 copies of each album (different versions) including AKA and Unreleased (bootleg but still important to me). Not as big as other people’s LDR collections but she’s the only artist I have multiple copies for, so they do mean a lot to me. Someday I’d like to separate them from everything else and give them their own shelf.

In general, all my Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac and Joni Mitchell album collections are pretty precious to me too. They took a long time to collect and it’s all vintage (except for Rumours&Mirage oops).

I have so many records that it’s hard for me to single it down to one most cherished record.

Buckingham Nicks might really be it though.

omg i love how into you are it reminds me of me when scouring for records. i think the most cherished piece i have is a Smile 45 rpm (Smile was the band right before Queen, Brian May and Roger Taylor were 2/3 of it with Tim Staffell). i found it in MY GRANDPARENTS BASEMENT in a plastic bag while scouring the other vinyl down there my dad said i could have and nearly flipped out. the best part is that i checked the info (like material and matrix numbers etc) and it's a REAL original copy, super rare. i could never part with it ever. it was like god just let me have it lol

i actually wrote about it and sent it to Queen's website and they actually published it i'm soo close to being in Queen i can feel it lolol

the oldest record in my collection is from 1963 and it's Hungarian ballroom music anlkshg

my frank ocean record <3

CAUSE BACK IN SCHOOL

WE ARE THE LEADERS OF IT ALL

omg i love how into you are it reminds me of me when scouring for records. i think the most cherished piece i have is a Smile 45 rpm (Smile was the band right before Queen, Brian May and Roger Taylor were 2/3 of it with Tim Staffell). i found it in MY GRANDPARENTS BASEMENT in a plastic bag while scouring the other vinyl down there my dad said i could have and nearly flipped out. the best part is that i checked the info (like material and matrix numbers etc) and it's a REAL original copy, super rare. i could never part with it ever. it was like god just let me have it lol

i actually wrote about it and sent it to Queen's website and they actually published it i'm soo close to being in Queen i can feel it lolol

That’s amazing! I didn’t know about Smile but it’s always cool finding out about earlier work from people in well-known bands. Those are always fun things to collect when you love a band. I bet it feels special every time you pick it up. That’s how I feel with Buckingham Nicks and it’s not even first edition.

And it’s relatable going through relatives’ collections. I had an old record collection that was half inherited from my dad and half collected from thrift shops but then I went through a minimalist “I don’t need possessions” phase and donated it all (I sometimes think about some of the stuff I’ll never be able to find again and cry) then had to start over from scratch when I came to my senses.

What record(s) of yours do you think you listen to the most? Or at least the most lately if it changes from time to time (this is for anyone)

I... didn't wanna write this much, oops!

Good question lol. In a way, they're all cherished and carry some sort of meaning because I only buy something on vinyl if I either really love the album or really love the artist. If I only "like" something, the CD is usually enough for me. :toofunny:

But talking about the actual vinyl records themselves rather than the albums, I generally really like it when there's something special about the packaging and the physical aspect of the record. I love Born To Die: The Paradise Edition (the slipcase) because the gold foil looks stunning and I adore the cover picture, and I love the Ultraviolence picture disc because it just looks gorgeous.

My Beyoncé and Lemonade vinyls are among my favourites, they just feel expensive (they kinda were lol), especially the former. They both come in really thick gatefolds with beautiful inner sleeves and huge-ass booklets (basically like the Honeymoon one), and especially the self-titled one is great because the outer packaging is matte black, whereas the booklet is printed on thick, glossy paper. It's just a really nice touch and makes it look like a lot of thought went into the product, which I appreciate a lot.

Banks' first album came in a red plastic sleeve/jacket, which I think is a really effective way of giving it a unique and memorable aspect and works quite well with the other visuals of the album.

R-6130214-1457305807-4566.jpeg.jpg

I also have a copy of "Hero of Time", which is basically an album that consists of orchestral versions and re-interpretations of the Zelda: Ocarina of Time soundtrack. While the sound quality is only "okay", again the packaging and visual aspects are amazing. The gatefold sleeve is die-cut and embossed with gold foil, and the inner sleeves have so many nice details as well. I also really like the idea with the four "heart pieces" on each side of the record.

R-11015311-1508269301-3195.jpeg.jpg

R-11015311-1551427452-3985.jpeg.jpg

R-11015311-1551427463-8198.jpeg.jpg

R-11015311-1551427423-9285.jpeg.jpg

R-11015311-1551427438-5891.jpeg.jpg

And wow, so far I haven't even talked about the sound! Out of Lana's albums, I particlarly love Honeymoon in that regard because it's the one album that sounds best on vinyl even though it's not even my favourite album of hers. There's just so much depth, so many details to hear if you listen closely, which makes every spin an experience. I feel similarly about the 2016 reissue of Kylie Minogue's self-titled album, I've always loved that album, but there's so much more to discover with each play on vinyl and it's kinda saddening that most people probably never get to hear these things because they don't use this music format. Similar things could be said about Duffy's Rockferry, which is one of my favourite albums of all time, and the three Madonna albums I own (Erotica, Ray Of Light, and Confessions), they all sound fantastic and I hardly ever listen to them on any other format.

BUT to answer the initial question about my most cherished piece... it's actually Lily Allen's It's Not Me, It's You, which is another one of my all-time favourites, and I was lucky enough to meet her last year and get it signed by her, which obviously makes it really special and, in a way, more valuable than all my other records. :)

ECb4ykpW4AAkLmA.jpg

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

What record(s) of yours do you think you listen to the most? Or at least the most lately if it changes from time to time (this is for anyone)

i love that! i feel like i'm half minimalist in the sense that i'm picky about what records i currently have, basically i'm trying to get a complete set of the three groups i love most and then once i have a complete set (which is getting harder to complete) i feel i can move on to things i like in general

BUT to answer the question at hand, i've been getting familiar with kiss's discography since january and they have easily rocketed up to my top 3 (i didn't have one before). my process is to listen to the albums in the order they were released so i can kind of get a feel for what it was like to get them in time but also to hear the growth and changes throughout their history. right now i've gotten up to 1978 which was the release of the 4 solo albums by each kiss member and i've been listening a lot to those. they're each so different and really let the solo member stand out in what inspires them and at the same time you begin to see where aspects of a kiss album might come from. i love it. i listen to ace frehley's and paul stanley's the most right now, but gene simmons's and peter criss's have stand out tracks as well, they're just very specific to what each of them were influenced by which isnt a bad thing!

and i guess in general, i always grab queen, queen ii, sheer heart attack, the works, the miracle (queen albums), the doors, strange days, la woman, morrison hotel (the doors), destroyer (kiss)... i keep all those on one shelf lol it depends on the mood but it's magical to turn on the stereo, crank your turntable and block the world with your headphones.

BUT to answer the initial question about my most cherished piece... it's actually Lily Allen's It's Not Me, It's You, which is another one of my all-time favourites, and I was lucky enough to meet her last year and get it signed by her, which obviously makes it really special and, in a way, more valuable than all my other records. :)

sorry to delete all your writing! but i loved it and i really loved the vinyl design on the zelda records, it reminds me of geodes in a way or some rock formation. so lucky to get it autographed! the detail you were describing some of your pieces was making me appreciate the works that i have, a lot of the older originals weren't really too focused on material and the way the release looked, but if i get a good copy of it AND it happens to include the original inserts i feel so lucky. it feels like holding a piece of history not only because of the music itself but this is was was being made over 40 years ago. so many listens have happened to my vinyl even before i received it and it's so fascinating to think of it that way.

my most listened to records are the weeknd's starboy, frank ocean's endless, lesley gore's california nights all of the radiohead albums i own so far (the bends, kid a, and in rainbows), and kero kero bonito's flamingo

CAUSE BACK IN SCHOOL

WE ARE THE LEADERS OF IT ALL

Member Title checks out 

my most listened to records are the weeknd's starboy, frank ocean's endless, lesley gore's california nights all of the radiohead albums i own so far (the bends, kid a, and in rainbows), and kero kero bonito's flamingo