Beautiful Loser

Lana's lacking live performances - a discussion

I love Lana to death but it's so noticeable she's just done with live shows and that stuff, besides she always sings the same songs and takes pictures with the same people over and over again, it's boring imo.

Singing the same songs is forgivable to me, but letting the same however many dickriders be the only people she takes pictures with is irritating. There's no point in anyone ever trying to meet her if all she'll do is hang around them.

giphy.gif

I almost bought tickets to see her in New Orleans but I decided not to and I honestly have 0 regrets. 

I understand that Lana is no longer 25 and new to the music industry. She is more laid back now (which I lowkey love), but at this point she's no longer just laid back she's just lazy. Her fanbase is younger and more annoying than ever. She's self sabotaging. We can't read her mind but I think she's over 'this'. She hasn't served a look since 2016, and she hasn't really been herself since the release of honeymoon. She needs to ditch the backing vocals, and if she feels like she can't sing on her own she should have real back up singers. Also I'm beyond over the dancers and their fashion nova outfits. 

I want this Lana back

Ugh this thread makes me feel so relieved that I got to see her during Paradise and ES tours. I saw LATTM too and while it was cute I miss how expressive and emotional her performing used to be. Her vocals still sound good but they're so much less passionate. I was so happy to be there but it did feel like she was phoning it in. I also hated the setlist....if she tours for NFR, I hope she really rethinks her show format

I don't think she's interested in performing, if she were she would change up her set and such. Her setlist is comprised of 70-80 percent BTD every single year, in 2016 she would sing Blue Jeans, BTD, VG, SS beautifully and full which made it bearable. Starting from 2017 to now it's like she forgets the words to her own songs. Even when she'd do songs like Gods last year, she wouldn't take them seriously. She'd literally laugh and talk-sing through it.. dumb. The BUKU show was awful, as were the filmed shows last year. 2016 was the last year of her great live vocals honestly, I miss when the stage was simple and she'd just move around in smoke, mist, and pretty lights. Made her seem mysterious and charming, these days her shows are just kind of tacky and barely put together. When I saw her in 2018 she wasn't terrible vocally, but she didn't sing more than like 4 lines of OTTR at a time, it was almost all instrumental, along with most of the BTD songs

Singing the same songs is forgivable to me, but letting the same however many dickriders be the only people she takes pictures with is irritating. There's no point in anyone ever trying to meet her if all she'll do is hang around them.

Singing the same songs would be forgivable if she actually sang them, not talk sing or let the audience sing entire parts. 

can we have this lana back?

THIS omfg, she used to have such passion and held herself to a standard

Another thing she could do is play different versions of the songs she seems to be obsessed with. I'd love a slower, sadder version of Summertime Sadness, a heavier, more hard rock version of OTTR, and I mean I'm in love with the orchestral version of Born To Die. She could change up the lyrics a little bit, consciously this time... It would be cool imo.

This! Change it up, I'd love for OTTR to hit a lot harder, almost heavy metal. 

Maybe if she tours for NFR, it will be more intimate and in smaller settings perhaps... prob not though. Not even really expecting a tour.

I wish she would plan her show themes better and make them more exciting. Her current set was exciting at first because we got Pretty When You Cry and Black Beauty, but now it's getting dull...

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

My honest two cents? In the beginning she actually had to put work and effort into her vocals and performances because she had to prove herself, now she's economically way more than stable and knows the flower crown girls and us gays will buy whatever she puts out and also run screaming to the barricade whenever she plays near us so at this point she's probably taking it all for granted more or less.

My honest two cents? In the beginning she actually had to put work and effort into her vocals and performances because she had to prove herself, now she's economically way more than stable and knows the flower crown girls and us gays will buy whatever she puts out and also run screaming to the barricade whenever she plays near us so at this point she's probably taking it all for granted more or less.

Yeah, this.

Also I wish stans would stop singing over her at shows. It wrecks the recordings people take and it's annoying in person. This girl behind me was singing so out of tune at my show.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

Honestly I think the real issue is 90% of her songs are not fit for these large auditoriums and festivals with thousands of people. The best venues are radio stations and small clubs for the intimate style of these songs. I mean you don't want her singing Fordham Road at the Staples Center right?

I saw her for the first time a year ago and when I think about it, I really don't remember to hear her actually singing. All I remember is the backtracks SO loud, the bad sounding on National Anthem and her giving us some high notes here and there. I feel like the only part that she actually sang was the medley - Yayo etc

It feels so bittersweet because it was one of the best nights of my life, I had the privilege to see my favorite singer etc but still doesn't feel right... When I see her old videos like Paradise, Endless Summer tour I feel robbed. I spent my precious money to see her just like those people on the past tours - why can't she serve vocals for me too?

8bed6302093afb3474710b83255143a8.gif

I read an article this morning by this Swedish reporter who’s also a hardcore Lana fan, I thought I might translate it because I found it funny that he seems to be thinking the same things as we do.

She’ll arrive here in one week. At the Lollapalooza festival, Lana Del Rey will make her fourth show in Sweden. When I heard her break-through hit single “Video games” eight years ago, I thought she would be a mayfly. The melancholy did certainly have a Leonard Cohen level but many seemed to detest Lana Del Rey’s duck lips and swaying voice.

After an uninspired performance in the tv-show “Saturday night live”, I thought that she would be bullied out from the music business. Instead, she became this decade’s most talented new star. Her repertoire is so large that I, during the concerts, become more annoyed over all the songs she skips than thankful over the ones which are performed.

On the website Setlist.fm there are set lists from thousands of concerts, plus statistics on how often the artists play material from different records. There, I follow my favorites when they’re on tour. “Fun that he plays ‘Speedway’ this year” I once texted a Morrissey worshipping friend who was on their way to Germany to see their idol. “I don’t want to know which songs Morrissey sings”, he replied and let me know that I had spoiled the concert. Personally, I’m not as sensitive and will tomorrow night, when Lana Del Rey has her first play in three months, check Setlist.fm to see which songs we can expect at Lollapalooza.

Hopefully there will be a lot from “Norman fucking Rockwell”, the album which still hasn’t emerged despite that she has, during the past six months, leaked more than a dozen new songs (including three official singles). Strangely enough, Lana Del Rey’s setlists are still dominated by “Born To Die”, her big label debut.

There is of course nothing wrong with the record which is one of this decade’s best (at least if you count with the deluxe edition, “The Paradise edition”). The albums “Ultraviolence” and “Lust For Life” are just as good, if not better, but were only represented with two songs each on LDR’s last set list, while six full tracks came from “born to die”. It was the same thing when I saw her in Barcelona last spring: nine from the debut but only four from “Ultraviolence” and “Lust For Life”.

That Lana treats [us] early hits is of course generous of her, but she’s in a position now where David Bowie was in 1976 or Madonna was 1989. She’s in her prime and should “allow” herself to be a bit less flirty with the audience. (“” because I can’t make a proper translation) Someone should also enlighten her that “Young and beautiful”, which she wastes away in a medley, is the most beautiful love ballad written on this side of the millennium shift.

A possible explanation to why she prioritizes old material is that the later records are somewhat calmer. These songs risk to be ruined by LDR’s notorious screaming fans.

When I saw her live the first time, I though that the loud chicks with flower crowns on their heads were charming. After trying to identify the decadent pulse in “Gods and monsters”, or the sleepy sorrow in “Shades of Cool”, at the same time as young women yell “LAAAAANAAAA!” in my ear, I am inclined to agree with the fan who in a forum described the other people in the crowd as “fucking beasts”. Her whole concert was ruined by the screaming crowd, but didn’t dare to complain because one person who did behind her got beaten up by girls who said “Talk shit, get hit, bitch!”

I almost long for things to go badly for Lana Del Rey so she loses her fans and is forced to play at smaller venues where the audience lets the music shut their mouths.

Source: https://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/fredrik-strage-lana-del-rey-ar-i-sitt-livs-form-men-hennes-fans-ar-okant-skraniga/

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I read an article this morning from this Swedish reporter who’s also a hardcore Lana fan, I thought I might translate it because I found it funny that he seems to be thinking the same as we do.

Source: https://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/fredrik-strage-lana-del-rey-ar-i-sitt-livs-form-men-hennes-fans-ar-okant-skraniga/

Scorching hot fucking tea.

Especially the last line.

Thanks for the translation.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

I have tickets to her show tomorrow in Dublin and I’m seriously considering just selling the tickets. I didn’t even realise it was part of a festival and I cba queuing up for 500 years and watching 2 whole sets before she comes on and sings a few songs and leaves

giphy.gif

I have tickets to her show tomorrow in Dublin and I’m seriously considering just selling the tickets. I didn’t even realise it was part of a festival and I cba queuing up for 500 years and watching 2 whole sets before she comes on and sings a few songs and leaves

Thank god I still had a little bit of faith in her during the LFL era, otherwise I don't know how else I could've bared to wait for 4 hours when I went to see her at Flow Festival and suffer through Young Thug's set while having black guys the size of NBA players enthusiastically jumping around (also on my toes) and pushing people while doing so

I love her and everything but I really thought she would’ve released the album by now and the set tomorrow would be new songs but I’ve seen her 3 times now and I just know she’s gonna sing the same old songs with no enthusiasm, say the show was the best she’s ever done and then walk off

giphy.gif

She's had a lengthy break from performing (and from doing anything, really) ... she has new songs she can perform, and that the people attending would love for her to perform ... honestly, if this performance in Malahide is lacklustre, there are zero excuses.

If sis can't manage to rustle up some fucks to give for this show, then imo it's time for her to throw in the towel, at least for awhile.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream