Sign in to follow this  
TIARNZUS

Old interview 2009

Press-Republican

March 25, 2009

Local girl cuts first album

By JON HOCHSCHARTNER

LAKE PLACID — Lizzy Grant, a musician who grew up in Lake Placid, is hard at work on her first full-length album, "God Bless America," scheduled for release this summer.

The title was partly inspired by the late Kate Smith, an internationally famous area resident best known for her performance of the song of the same name.

Grant was signed to Five Points Records, an independent label based in New York City, less than two years ago after being discovered at a Brooklyn song-writing competition. At Five Points, Grant's output was produced by one of her musical heroes, David Kahne, who has produced artists ranging from Sublime to Paul McCartney.

"We sent the demos to five different producers, and (Kahne) got back to us that night. We spent three months straight just working together," Grant said. "You know the way you apply to Harvard, and that's your reach school? It's like getting into Harvard."

HUSKY VOCALS

Grant said the sound of her upcoming album will be similar to her three-song EP "Kill Kill," which was released last October and has since sold more than 6,000 copies. While she describes her catalog as "happy" and as "all love songs," her music so far has a sedately sad quality to it, dealing primarily with failed relationships. Her husky vocals and retro beats could appeal to fans of Cat Power and Amy Winehouse.

Even at an early age, growing up in the Adirondacks, Grant was interested in music.

"I was singing when I was really little. I didn't think I would be able to do music, but I wanted to. We didn't know anybody who actually had a career as an entertainer, so that seemed out of the question."

She credits St. Agnes Church of Lake Placid in helping push her toward music. Peggy Malone, a retired parish director of religious education, was not surprised that Grant ended up in the music business.

"She led the music at First Communion, and I guess she was 7 or 8 years old. (Her voice) was like an angel; she was uninhibited," Malone said. "I always kidded her, 'Don't forget where you got your start. So when you go for your Grammy Award, make sure I'm in the audience.' It was a running joke from when she was just a little girl."

While Grant is nervous playing live, she hopes to return to play in the local area soon.

"So many people in the Adirondacks did so much for me," she said. "Where I grew up was such a small place, and it was so beautiful. No matter where I go, I always know I'll come back there. I have a standard to live up to — there are people I come home to, and I want to make them proud."

tumblr_mxx8avPa6n1s4it03o1_500.gif

Press-Republican articles this old are no longer live on their site and this article is not archived anywhere else that I could find. But a Press-Republican editor sent me a screenshot via Twitter of the same article with a different title from the next day's print edition:

HlrwtGF.jpg

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.