What cruel world is this, nectar of the gods

Heroin gold in my veins and you in my thoughts

I’m on the freeway, racing at a million

And I just can’t stop

I call you up twice, hang up the phone

Call again, I wanna talk to you

:heart:

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Wow the lyrics. Holy hell. I’m impressed. Do we know the time frame from this one? What album was it intended for?

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

I’m on the freeway, racing at a million

And I just can’t stop

I call you up twice, hang up the phone

Call again, I wanna talk

I had to look up what "nectar of the gods" is and it seems to be the sweetest and most delicous drink or thing you can consume, and can literally mean food for (ancient Greek) gods. When looking at the previous line, "what cruel world is this?", she might be asking herself what kind of world this is to have something you can't stop yourself from having, which makes it cruel. Maybe we can think of it like candy - your tongue and brain loves it, but you know it's not good for you if you overconsume it. Perhaps this "nectar of the gods" is heroin, which she mentions in the next line.

Heroin is an opioid and makes you addicted. She knows it's not good for her, yet she can't stop herself from having it i.e. she's addicted. She may be taking heroin to relieve heartbreak and pain, since it can have similar effects to morphine, another opioid, or she may be taking it to create a rush while thinking of her lover.

The next line makes me think of Summertime Sadness ("cruisin' down the coast, goin' 'bout 99"), but I think she is describing the rush, the euphoric feeling from the drug ("racing at a million"). And she confirms that she can't stop using it - she's addicted.

Finally, she is saying that she wishes to talk with her lover but she is either making calls but it too scared to actually talk to him and hangs up, or she keeps calling him and he refuses to have a proper conversation and hangs up the phone.

I get wild on you baby

I get wild and fucking crazy, like you never knew, knew, knew

I get wild on you baby

I get wild and fucking crazy, like the color blue

She says that she loves him more than before ("like you never knew"), hinting that they're no longer a couple. Not being with him saddens her ("like the color blue") and maybe she's crossing lines just to show him how much she cares (like keep calling him on the phone and acting "fucking crazy" by doing that).

What sweet world is this, honey on the vine

School kid dreams came true then passed in the night

I used to dream about people like you, now I don’t know why

I used to sing about people like you, now I just get high

After a quick search, I found that Lana is referencing a song, Honey on the Vine, by Matt Monro. I listened to it, and it's a sweet, jazzy love song (from 1997?), and if we go back to the previous line, she might be asking what a world would be like if it had love like that. Maybe she's thinking back to her past, remembering when her world was sweet like that, and thinking that she no longer recognizes it today.

In the next lines, she's looking back to when she was still unknown and had grand dreams of her future. She dreamt of celebrities, namedropped singers, songwriters and artists in her own songs, imagining what it must be like to be one of them. Now, she knows what it means to be a celebrity and knows the backside of being one, and wonders why she even daydreamed of a life like this when she was young. Perhaps, her (ex-)lover is a musician too. ("I used to dream/sing about people like you")

Californ- I-A, homeland of the gods

Once I found my way, but now I’m lost

She made it to California and Los Angeles ("home land of the gods" - or maybe the "gods" are movie stars, and movie stars are usually in LA), a place she'd been longing to experience and live at. Now that she is here, she kind of has fullfilled her goals, she has everything she dreamt of (well, except for love I suppose) so the question is... what left is there for her to have? What will her new goals in life be? She's feeling lost in the place she feels most at home and must find herself. Perhaps she's feeling lost if her (ex-)lover dumped her, and she's asking herself what she did wrong and is trying to find an answer.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

The lyrics in this give me hope that she can still write like this for NFR

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

I had to look up what "nectar of the gods" is and it seems like it means that it's the sweetest and most delicous drink or thing you can consume, and can literally mean food for (ancient Greek) gods. When looking at the previous line, "what cruel world is this?", she might be asking herself what kind of world this is to have something you can't stop yourself from having. Maybe we can think of it like candy - your tongue and brain loves it, but you know it's not good for you if you overconsume it. Perhaps this "nectar of the gods" is heroin, which she mentions in the next line.

Heroin is an opioid and makes you addicted. She knows it's not good for her, yet she can't stop herself from having it i.e. she's addicted. She may be taking heroin to relieve heartbreak and pain, since it can have similar effects to morphine, another opioid, or she may be taking it to create a rush while thinking of her lover.

The next line makes me think of Summertime Sadness ("cruisin' down the coast, goin' 'bout 99"), but I think she is describing the rush, the euphoric feeling from the drug ("racing at a million"). And she confirms that she can't stop using it - she's addicted.

Finally, she is saying that she wishes to talk with her lover but she is either making calls but it too scared to actually talk to him and hangs up, or she keeps calling him and he refuses to have a proper conversation and hangs up the phone.

She says that she loves him more than before ("like you never knew"), hinting that they're no longer a couple. Not being with him saddens her ("like the color blue") and maybe she's crossing lines just to show him how much she cares (like keep calling him on the phone and acting "fucking crazy" by doing that).

After a quick search, I found that Lana is referencing a song, Honey on the Vine, by Matt Monro. I listened to it, and it's a sweet, jazzy love song (from 1997?), and if we go back to the previous line, she might be asking what a world would be like if it had love like that. Maybe she's thinking back to her past, remembering when her world was sweet like that, and thinking that she no longer recognizes it today.

In the next lines, she's looking back to when she was still unknown and had grand dreams of her future. She dreamt of celebrities, namedropped singers, songwriters and artists in her own songs, imagining what it must be like to be one of them. Now, she knows what it means to be a celebrity and knows the backside of being one, and wonders why she even daydreamed of a life like this when she was young. Perhaps, her (ex-)lover is a musician too. ("I used to dream/sing about people like you")

She made it to California and Los Angeles ("home land of the gods" - or maybe the "gods" are movie stars), a place she'd been longing to experience and live at. Now that she is here, she kind of has fullfilled her goals, she has everything she dreamt of (well, except for love I suppose) so the question is... what left is there for her to have? What will her new goals in life be? She's feeling lost in the place she feels most at home and must find herself. Perhaps she's feeling lost if her (ex-)lover dumped her, and she's asking herself what she did wrong and is trying to find an answer.

:wowcry:

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

THE LYRICISM :squidward:

This is the woman who writes about crustaceans and tesla cars people. Same girl. Wtf.

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.