necessary sacrifice

Joni Mitchell

Hey are any of you other Lana fans also Joni fans? If there’s already a topic for this, I couldn’t find it so I’m sorry in advance.

I love love love Joni Mitchell just as much as I love Lana. In fact, Lana always gave me a strong “modern Joni” vibes which is one of the things that drew me to her. The things I love about Lana are largely the same things I love about Joni so I’m hoping other people feel that too.

I feel like Joni Mitchell is probably one of the few musical geniuses of the 20th century. Sometimes I can’t even put it into words, sorry. Her experimentation in her art is severely underrated. Everything about her music: her voice, her words, her instrumentation, were always just so breathtakingly beautiful.

So any Joni fans out there? Or maybe I just converted a few of you?

What are you favourite Joni albums?

They’re all so different and beautiful in their own ways, so it’s hard for me to choose, but mine’s probably The Hissing of Summer Lawns. Anyone who hasn’t listened to that probably wouldn’t regret it, especially Lana fans.

Anyway, I’d love to find other Lana fans who love Joni to talk to since they’re two of my favourites.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

although i have listened to most of her albums, i do have to admit i’m not as familiar with her music other than the notorious blue. my mom used to play that, lou reed’s berlin, the rise and fall of ziggy, the hounds of love and ray of light all the time back when i was little so i have some really fond memories of those. joni’s album covers really do embody the spirit of the music itself so well, i think that’s also why i enjoyed a lot of what i heard (i have a weird thing with letting the artwork of a project dictate whether or not i like the music). recently i’ve been toying with the idea of just dedicating a whole day to give a good chunk of her discog another listen. this guy i had a huge falling out with was a huge joni fan and he’s kinda tainted a lot of wonderful artists for me (kate bush, pj harvey, tori amos, bjork, etc.), so it does get a little bit hard to not think of him whenever i do listen to them.

I bought a copy of Wild Things Run Fast on a whim once but never really listened to her. Any recommendations for songs of hers?

Omg that’s one of my favourite albums of hers. I’d definitely recommend though anything from Clouds, Ladies of the Canyon, or Blue. That was kind of her classic period. Good ones to start with would be Both Sides Now, Chelsea Morning, The Gallery, Woodstock, Willy, Rainy Day House, Carey, California, A Case of You. Those seem like easy winners to start with. And a few of my personal favourites are Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire, Trouble Child, and Harry’s House/Centerpiece.

Yesss a thread for this legend. My favorite songs by her are Court and Spark and Little Green (so far because i haven't listened to all of her discography). Down to You, River and Free Man In Paris are also incredible. I'll definitely listen to The Hissing of Summer Lawns.  :flutter: 

tumblr_o3dsrkyP3X1ug1kl3o1_400.gif

I bought a copy of Wild Things Run Fast on a whim once but never really listened to her. Any recommendations for songs of hers?

if you're on a road trip and/or just want like an hour to contemplate things, her whole album Hejira is pretty great for that. Refuge of the Roads/Song for Sharon/Amelia in particular. 

I think anyone who wants to check out more of her discography, her first 10 albums are probably all good to choose from. Her music kept changing over that time but it’s all good. And tbh I think in general most of her albums would vibe well with Lana fans. Anything from the 80s and on are also really good (especially WTRF) but probably not necessary for new fans.

if you're on a road trip and/or just want like an hour to contemplate things, her whole album Hejira is pretty great for that. Refuge of the Roads/Song for Sharon/Amelia in particular.

I definitely second this. Also, For the Roses. Both those albums are the best for long drives.

Oh gosh, Joni always reminds me of an ex. She spent a few months overplaying Sweet Sucker Dance and... I think it was called Blue Room? She let me borrow her Blue cd ages ago and I never gave it back lol

9a32008aa9568555201e3b88bceeef59.jpg

Oh gosh, Joni always reminds me of an ex. She spent a few months overplaying Sweet Sucker Dance and... I think it was called Blue Room? She let me borrow her Blue cd ages ago and I never gave it back lol

I love Sweet Sucker Dance! The album that’s on (Mingus) is criminally underrated. And the other one is probably Blue Motel Room. It’s my favourite song on Hejira. And good, never give back Blue. Now you technically have a good start to your own Joni collection by having that haha.

Anyone who likes the visuals of Lana’s old homemade videos and want a taste of Joni Mitchell live, her Shadows & Light concert film is really good. It’s even all on YouTube. It cuts between Joni playing live and archive footage and idk I think it would really resonate with fans of Lana’s old homemade music videos. Anyway, here’s a link for anyone who’s got an hour to spare.

Hejira was like one of the best jazz/pop records of the decade. And having collaborated with Charles Mingus afterward (who asked to collaborate with her, I think) has gotta be a highlight in an artistic career (in terms of ego-stroking), even though she often spoke of that album as derailing her career (see also Dog Eat Dog). Lana can beat Joni on prolificness, if she keeps going the way she is, but not diversity; it remains to be seen if Lana can match her on anti-pop musical ambition (Don Juan's Reckless Daughter, Hissing of Summer Lawns). Hope she tries.

BTW, I suspect this is Joni on Lana's instagram (i.e., we know Joni's had a lot of illnesses and aged hard), but I was never sure and as nobody else I know of has mentioned it,  I'm really unsure. But it still looks like it might be her, so nows the time to ask, anybody know? If so, anybody know the older guy?

Hejira was like one of the best jazz/pop records of the decade. And having collaborated with Charles Mingus afterward (who asked to collaborate with her, I think) has gotta be a highlight in an artistic career (in terms of ego-stroking), even though she often spoke of that album as derailing her career (see also Dog Eat Dog). Lana can beat Joni on prolificness, if she keeps going the way she is, but not diversity; it remains to be seen if Lana can match her on anti-pop musical ambition (Don Juan's Reckless Daughter, Hissing of Summer Lawns). Hope she tries.

BTW, I suspect this is Joni on Lana's instagram (i.e., we know Joni's had a lot of illnesses and aged hard), but I was never sure and as nobody else I know of has mentioned it,  I'm really unsure. But it still looks like it might be her, so nows the time to ask, anybody know? If so, anybody know the older guy?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt9mDkXjlY7/

Yes, that’s Joni! The man is David Hockney, he’s an artist. Funny things is when she posted that I was on this weird week of “Lana is literally modern Joni” and then that was like my confirmation from the universe haha. But I truly think lana’s career is gonna unfold similarly to joni’s. Maybe I’m delusional but I’m convinced nfr will be her Summer Lawns moment where everything changes and lots of people get alienated but the music becomes a whole other level and if that comes true, I’m so excited for her future albums. I could spend hours piecing together how similar Lana’s musical growth has been to Joni’s at the same place in her career lol.

I’ve been so close to starting this thread a bunch of times!!! Words cannot fully express my absolute love for this woman’s discography even though I haven’t listened to 100% of it yet.

I started with Blue, then got into Court and Spark, then Clouds and For the Roses, and now I’ve listened to a few of her later albums as well.

I love love love love love her music!

I’ve been so close to starting this thread a bunch of times!!! Words cannot fully express my absolute love for this woman’s discography even though I haven’t listened to 100% of it yet.

I started with Blue, then got into Court and Spark, then Clouds and For the Roses, and now I’ve listened to a few of her later albums as well.

I love love love love love her music!

the hissing of summer lawns should be the next one you give a shot  :)

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

Omg the taste of all of you. Joni Mitchell is tucking amazing. Blue through Hejira is just all perfection 100%. Hejira might be my favorite. Amelia is devastating.

Dive right into the hissing of summer lawns.