necessary sacrifice

Joni Mitchell

On 12/26/2019 at 2:24 PM, scarlettohara said:

Not that anyone cares, but I finally acquired a copy of In Perfect Harmony!!!! Joni Mitchell and James Taylor recorded this live album together in 1970 and wanted to release it, by their labels wouldn’t let them, so they had them pressed themselves and gave out a limited amount. The one I got is even a first edition!!! I’m so excited! Now that I have this album, here’s my up to date Joni Mitchell vinyl collection. (The new one is the first album in the second picture)

CD1-EFEF2-0-E75-482-E-A353-71-EB14-F0894

303-A09-AC-8602-497-A-8-B05-99-BCD41-E38

803-A8198-1-E0-C-4854-8-E82-A8-BB1-FFB2-

B373-EF59-00-D5-4-A7-B-B9-F5-F5-F8887-AF

also i think it was after these pictures were taken but i think turbulent indigo (?) got released on vinyl for the first time

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

4 hours ago, the ocean said:

i just heard both sides now play in a movie and it reminded me of how much i want to get into her work more in depth

i'm pretty familiar with her earlier work (blue, ladies of the canyon, court & spark) but i haven't really delved into her later stuff so @scarlettohara do you recommend anything specifically? besides hejira cause that's essential listening for anyone getting into joni :silly:

the first album i always recommend bc its probably my favourite is the hissing of summer lawns plus i think its the one that would appeal to lana fans the most. don juan's reckless daughter is a good one too if you want something fun and chaotic but it could take some time to get into. then wild things run fast is really good too probably her happiest and most upbeat album. but i'd reccommend all her albums honestly. :lolno:

4 hours ago, the ocean said:

also i think it was after these pictures were taken but i think turbulent indigo (?) got released on vinyl for the first time

it was shine, her final album that finally got released on vinyl. sadly turbulent indigo, taming the tiger, both sides now, and travelogue have never been released on vinyl yet :pft: but now that she's doing the archive releases, those will probably get vinyl releases by 2025 :hype: 

also that reminds me with all the stuff that's come out since these pics, i should probably take another updated one :agree2:

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

hello beautiful friends, for those of you have have done a deep dive into Joni’s catalogue, how would you rank the albums or at least your top 5? I’ve been a fan since I was younger but really only ever listened to Blue all the way through and then just dabbled around, but I’d like to do full runs [on Apple Music now!]

1 hour ago, yourolllikethunder said:

hello beautiful friends, for those of you have have done a deep dive into Joni’s catalogue, how would you rank the albums or at least your top 5? I’ve been a fan since I was younger but really only ever listened to Blue all the way through and then just dabbled around, but I’d like to do full runs [on Apple Music now!]

Really the run from blue-Hejira is all superb and I couldn’t rank them if I tried. I’d say start with court and spark or hissing of summer lawns. 

I still need to listen to all of her 80s records. I’ve started them but they are definitely of lesser quality, largely because of the bad 80s production

5 hours ago, 13beachess said:

Literally the Dumbest shit ever. Really lost respect for her & Neil for this. Yeah let’s prohibit your fans from listening to your music. Who are they really spiting by doing this. 

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

7 hours ago, 13beachess said:

its clearly her handlers. this is so out of character for her but most things she's done since her brain aneurysm have been out of character for her. she doesn't know what she's doing so a bunch of opportunists are taking advantage of her. this isn't the joni mitchell we know and love but i don't blame her bc she probably doesn't even know its happening (she doesn't even run her site). i wonder who owns her music now and how connected to pfizer they are..... 

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

6 hours ago, 13beachess said:

Finding this truly brave of both of them. Not that Spotify is the only platform where dangerous conspiracy discourses are being spread, but it's definetly a honest move from people to which royalties may be as important as for them. May many other follow the example.

1 minute ago, sjatib said:

Finding this truly brave of both of them. Not that Spotify is the only platform where dangerous conspiracy discourses are being spread, but it's definetly a honest move from people to which royalties may be as important as for them. May many other follow the example.

i agree :true:

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

I never liked the Spotify UI anyways...Also their PR team + execs must be idiots if they're just gonna let this all happen. Just remove that idiot and his nonsensical "opinions". You're a private company, if you keep him on you're actively supporting HIM not "free speech". I wish more people realized what free speech means. Can't wait to stream Joni on AM :D

Screenshot-2024-04-17-at-6-31-05-PM.png

who's afraid of little old me?

4 hours ago, domandapiano said:

Really the run from blue-Hejira is all superb and I couldn’t rank them if I tried. I’d say start with court and spark or hissing of summer lawns. 

I still need to listen to all of her 80s records. I’ve started them but they are definitely of lesser quality, largely because of the bad 80s production

thank you sm! I appreciate the recs, this is super helpful :)