The Hissing of Summer Lawns

Shades of Scarlet Conquering

The Boho Dance

Sweet Bird

Edith and the Kingpin

The Jungle Line

On France They Kiss on Main Street

Shadows and Light

Since it’s my favourite album, it was surprisingly hard for me to rank them too. When starting my list, I was also only really sure of my top three songs. I’m actually listening to it now to help me.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

Here’s my Hissing of Summer Lawns ranking:

Harry’s House/Centrepiece

Don’t Interrupt the Sorrow

The Hissing of Summer Lawns

Shades of Scarlet Conquering

The Boho Dance

Sweet Bird

Edith and the Kingpin

The Jungle Line

On France They Kiss on Main Street

Shadows and Light

I’m curious what puts The Jungle Line and In France... at the bottom of your list

I’m curious what puts The Jungle Line and In France... at the bottom of your list

It’s really just that the other songs are just so good and something has to be at the bottom. It was so hard because I didn’t really feel anything belonged at the bottom of the list. I truly love every song on this album. I’m probably just more attached to the slower sadder songs for some reason.

It’s really just that the other songs are just so good and something has to be at the bottom. It was so hard because I didn’t really feel anything belonged at the bottom of the list. I truly love every song on this album. I’m probably just more attached to the slower sadder songs for some reason.

Usually I like ballad-type songs more as well.

For me, I don’t love The Jungle Line because the drums feel looped and repetitive, whereas the rest of the album has so much instrumental variety.

Usually I like ballad-type songs more as well.

For me, I don’t love The Jungle Line because the drums feel looped and repetitive, whereas the rest of the album has so much instrumental variety.

Tbh The Jungle Line was initially my least favourite song and it was the drums that distracted me most. Over time I started to like it though because sonically it started reminding me of Friends by Led Zeppelin. And I grew to like all the lyrics referencing Henri Rousseau and the jungle metaphors kind of like his paintings.

Also, In France They Kiss on Main Street was initially one of my favourites because I liked the 50s rock style and theme of it, but the more I listened to the album and the other songs grew on me, I guess it sank down the list.

lol I guess it’s just the two of us in this thread so here’s my ranking for Blue:

River

Little Green

Carey

California

A Case of You

My Old Man

This Flight Tonight

The Last Time I Saw Richard

Blue

All I Want

Every song on this album is basically perfect imo except for All I Want, but that one is still cute

Anyway I’ll do a For the Roses ranking if anyone wants to keep this going

For the Roses songs ranked:

Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire

Blonde in the Bleachers

Judgment of the Moon and Stars

Barangrill

Electricity

Lesson in Survival

Woman of Heart and Mind

Let the Wind Carry Me

See You Sometime

You Turn Me On, I’m a Radio

For the Roses

Banquet

@@Volta I’d like to see yours if you’re up for it!

@@recklessdaughter Sorry I was trying to reply but it didn’t go through. I’ll post my For the Roses ranking soon

My ranking:

See You Sometime/You Turn Me On I’m A Radio (tie)

Electricity

Blonde in the Bleachers

Lesson in Survival

Woman of Heart and Mind

Barangrill

For the Roses

Judgement of the Moon and Stars

Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire

Let the Wind Carry Me

Banquet

For any Joni fans, her poetry has finally been reissued for the general public as of today! It’s called Morning Glory on the Vine. The book is full of old poems and songs and drawings. Originally she made a limited amount of copies for friends and family for Christmas 1971. For years, it’s been known as “the Christmas book” and has been very rare and sought after. If you’ve been looking for it or if this is the first you’re hearing of it, I recommend picking up a copy. Even any poetry lovers who aren’t familiar with Joni would probably love it.

https://jonimitchell.com/library/viewmedia.cfm?id=147

Not that anyone cares, but I finally acquired a copy of In Perfect Harmony!!!! Joni Mitchell and James Taylor recorded this live album together in 1970 and wanted to release it, by their labels wouldn’t let them, so they had them pressed themselves and gave out a limited amount. The one I got is even a first edition!!! I’m so excited! Now that I have this album, here’s my up to date Joni Mitchell vinyl collection. (The new one is the first album in the second picture)

CD1-EFEF2-0-E75-482-E-A353-71-EB14-F0894

303-A09-AC-8602-497-A-8-B05-99-BCD41-E38

803-A8198-1-E0-C-4854-8-E82-A8-BB1-FFB2-

B373-EF59-00-D5-4-A7-B-B9-F5-F5-F8887-AF

9 hours ago, Volta said:

Joni Mitchell Archives Volume 1 - The Early Years (1963 - 1967) will be released on October 23rd!

I’m so excited to finally have these rare early recordings :flutter:

I’m so excited for this to come out! Almost everyday her team has been posting early days throwbacks n stuff and it’s been getting me so pumped. I have a few vinyl bootlegs of some of her early rare stuff, but it’s nice she’s finally releasing them on her own, mastered the way she likes them. Plus already there are some like Day After Day that are completely new to me. I’m a little jealous the CD boxset is bigger than the vinyl packs since I don’t buy CDs but at least it’ll all be on Spotify too. I hope this is just the beginning of Joni opening her vaults. In the past year with the commercial release of her poetry book, the vinyl reissue of Shine, and now these early years releases, she’s been giving us more than she has in years. Maybe she’s trying to get everything out, with her final say, so that there’s nothing left to mess with when she’s gone (that would be very in character for her).

On 10/9/2020 at 7:38 AM, recklessdaughter said:

I’m so excited for this to come out! Almost everyday her team has been posting early days throwbacks n stuff and it’s been getting me so pumped. I have a few vinyl bootlegs of some of her early rare stuff, but it’s nice she’s finally releasing them on her own, mastered the way she likes them. Plus already there are some like Day After Day that are completely new to me. I’m a little jealous the CD boxset is bigger than the vinyl packs since I don’t buy CDs but at least it’ll all be on Spotify too. I hope this is just the beginning of Joni opening her vaults. In the past year with the commercial release of her poetry book, the vinyl reissue of Shine, and now these early years releases, she’s been giving us more than she has in years. Maybe she’s trying to get everything out, with her final say, so that there’s nothing left to mess with when she’s gone (that would be very in character for her).

Yeah I can definitely see that being the case. I’m just happy that we are getting official releases of all these recordings so they can all be in one place. I thought about buying the CD set but I think I’ll just listen on Apple Music honestly because I don’t have that much money to spend on CDs lol and I don’t have a record player

Joni Mitchell has announced her second volume of archive releases, which just seems to be a boxset of her first four albums (Song to a Seagull, Clouds, Ladies of the Canyon, & Blue). If anyone has been recently getting into Joni and is looking to start a collection, this would be a great way to start. It comes out June 25th. The first volume came out last fall and was a collection of early rare performances and demos, if anyone missed that.

i just heard both sides now play in a movie and it reminded me of how much i want to get into her work more in depth

i'm pretty familiar with her earlier work (blue, ladies of the canyon, court & spark) but i haven't really delved into her later stuff so @scarlettohara do you recommend anything specifically? besides hejira cause that's essential listening for anyone getting into joni :silly:

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif