Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

37 minutes ago, whitelungswhitepalms said:

Puking over love song....the melodrama sheesh

and nfr almost ruining her career?

Yallllll I can’t help but laughhhhhhhhhhhh 

Love song had so much potential but she ruined it with those lyrics... 

Urban Outfitters no longer lists the pink color vinyl on their website 

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

As much as the terrible mixing and overall noisiness of the track still bugs me, How To Disappear is really growing on me lately :flutter: it's perfect for those frosty but clear blue winter mornings and afternoons, window open with the sound of the wind and the birds chirping ringing into ur home :flutter: :flutter: :flutter:

Wq9zHLl.jpg

I think this album has very strong masculine energy especially compared to her very feminine other albums (all of them, including sirens, except nfr). masculine both in the lyrics and sound. I know 'masculine energy' is vague but idk how to elaborate. and I think this is by far her most popular record amongst straight men, for this reason. its also my personal least favorite for this reason. I wish I could say more about why this one seems so masculine to me but I have no idea how....

1 hour ago, urgirl said:

I think this album has very strong masculine energy especially compared to her very feminine other albums (all of them, including sirens, except nfr). masculine both in the lyrics and sound. I know 'masculine energy' is vague but idk how to elaborate. and I think this is by far her most popular record amongst straight men, for this reason. its also my personal least favorite for this reason. I wish I could say more about why this one seems so masculine to me but I have no idea how....

“i’m your man” 

12 hours ago, urgirl said:

This is kind of ironic because I found NFR actually had stronger feminine energy than any of her previous albums. She’s gentler and more nurturing and more truly feminine in personality than ever before. In her previous albums she displayed more of that strong unyielding masculine side of her personality while exaggerating a feminine appearance, but this time she really embraced the feminine side of her personality while stripping back her appearance so that the gentleness of her personality could really shine through. Part of me thinks that her strong feminine energy is actually what made straight men give her a break this round, because she’s more gentle and submissive and what they expect women to be.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

NFR is such a comforting album for me. I used to get high a lot (lol) and it was such a great album to ground me back to reality if I got too anxious. A lot of people make fun of her lyrical choices in some songs (usually single lines from VB's verses, Love Song, HIAB, Hope, etc) but honestly their simplicity makes the album a lot more relatable for me compared to her more previous works. My favorite albums rotate between either UV or NFR a lot, but I honestly think it just depends on my current headspace. UV comforts me by allowing me to dwell in my turbulent feelings while NFR comforts me with its warmth and introspective nature because the album for me is a story of bitterness to apathy to acceptance. I do think some things could be changed (taking TNBAR out completely, HtD should've been a piano ballad with strings!, bridges) but I feel the same with all her albums tbh.

sgopYhV.gif

Hey!

Dont know if this has been discussed yet, but there happens to be a spanish cover of Nfr(song). Dont know how to embed the link, but its called "Puto Normando", by Irenegarry.

1 hour ago, sjatib said:

Hey!

Dont know if this has been discussed yet, but there happens to be a spanish cover of Nfr(song). Dont know how to embed the link, but its called "Puto Normando", by Irenegarry.

Oh, I remember this! It popped up on April of last year, and it was created by a friend of Spanish actor Omar Ayuso. Omar then shared the song on his Instagram story, kind of like, "hey, check out my friend's new song!" As for my opinion on the cover itself, I think it's really sweet and somewhat nostalgic, like an lo-fi mix or demo of NFR. Also think it's cool how someone was able to make a cover of a song in a different language. I do wish, however, that Omar or the artist would've mentioned this was a cover. I understand that Lana is somewhat of a big artist, but she's not a household name or known by every person in the world. When Omar shared the song on his story, and this being the first song by the artist, it felt as though it was more like, "hey check out this song made by my friend." Also, I think I remember seeing a comment that said, "wow, what a beautiful song; thanks for making it!" So yeah, but that's just me being nit picky, I guess, and kind of giving a personal opinion. 

BF77-AD48-C18-D-4144-B349-27-DC6-F78-CD7

I’ve given a LOT of thought lately about my disappointment about NFR, and I think I have it more figured out

I think the main thing for me was the fact that we had the melodies for at least the verses for almost every song, and some songs (like HIAB and Cinnamon Girl) we had almost everything in the form of snippets. Listening to HIAB for almost 2 years in the form of snippets made it feel super stale on arrival. (Not to mention the structure of the song is super weird and didn’t flow like I thought it was going to) Same thing with Cinnamon Girl, we didn’t know the kerosene line but the melody stayed the same, and she played the higher vocal part before the outro on her story, essentially giving us the full song in the matter of two Instagram posts and her story.

And then the problem with the singles (MAC and VB). They were almost A YEAR old by the time the record came and as much as I love them (MAC is a top 5 track for me) I think in my head its hard to think of them when thinking of NFR, like they were their own singles not related to an album (which I know is a me thing). And I get why she put Doin Time on the album but it reallllly didn’t fit. It’s probably my favorite cover she’s ever done but it really throws off the vibe of the album. 

so now that I’ve been contemplating where it went wrong with me, in developing more of an appreciation for it. Not that it’s suddenly my number one album but I do think the rollout and snippet situation really made me sour to the album and now that that’s going away I’m appreciating it more. (And the instrumental to HTD is iconic, sorry not sorry)

"Don’t forget me"

So its been a year and a half since my initial badly written review of NFR and I feel like sharing my updated thoughts on the album :creep:

Norman fucking Rockwell: I think its a cute track that I really like. Solid and safe and a nice title track.

Mariners Apartment Complex: Still love this song since the day it came out. It set my high and massively disappointed expectations for the album and is still a classic.

Venice Bitch: Still such a great song. I always listen through all 10 minutes of it when I stream it. I also loved the song since the day it came out but thats a given with VB and MAC.

Fuck it I love you: Initially I thought it was an okay song but its now one of my favorites off the album wasn't much of a competition for that though It never fails to get me in that good vibe and I can always just listen to it whenever. The end of the song especially is just mwah

Doin' Time: Don't really like this song still. Its good, yes, its also mainstreamy which isn't really a bad thing. I don't really vibe with the lyrics since it is such a straight guy song. Love the music video though.

Love song: Still hate it :hooker: The snippet was far superior than the rest of the song. I especially hate the prechorus part with the dress chest mess best test lyrics. The chorus itself isn't all that bad but basic at the same time. The verses are the best part of the song. :typewriter:

Cinnamon girl: My opinions haven't changed much for CG. Its a solid song and I quite enjoy it. I like it a lot but it is basic for Lana.

How to disappear: Its weird to me people like this song.

California: The biggest glow up for me personally. I disliked it at first because it didn't click with me, but then it did. Its such a great song now and I catch myself singing it in my head. The prechorus and verses especially get stuck in my head. The "and if you come back to california/america, just hit me uuuuuuppp" line to :oop2: I also think it uses the best throwback on the whole album with the "flipside" lyric. It felt natural whereas every other reference on the album felt forced Love song.

The Next Best American Record:

The greatest: I like the song quite a bit now! I don't really get why people think its like VB or MAC level but I do think its really good. I wish the guitar solo was more aggressive, for the type of song it is, about "the culturE", I feel like it would've benefited with that emotion in the production. Other than that I think the outro is beautiful and the transition to the rest of the piano ballads was a great detail.

Bartender: Still love this song. Feel like y'all hate on one of the better songs on the album too much. Rick could slap his dick on the mic and I'd still eat it up.

Happiness is a butterfly: Its such a cute song. Kinda forgot my initial thoughts on this track but its really cute. My favorite part has to be the part right before the prechorus in the second verse. Where shes like "I'll pick you up if you're in town on the corner, ah-ah-uh-ah" :omg::gurl: Always loved that part ever since she teased it in one of the million snippets.

hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but I have it: I actually really love the first verse and the first chorus. Its the second verse and second chorus that loses me. Feel like some of the lyrics were too intricate and so personal to the point where only she knows what shes singing about. Which to some is actually a positive, the mystery behind those confusing lyrics, but to me personally its not. I especially hate the iPad lyric I wish she never wrote that down. Everything else after I like though. But overall just usually pass on the song mostly because of this.

Now I think my main issue with the album is how overhyped it was. The critics praised it so hard and the GP were all over it and honestly I think it was because it was what was "popular" at that moment. NFR was trendy and we saw all the normies hop on it. They call it her best album when UV and HM are right there and the disregard to her previous work leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Obviously that isn't Lana's fault or Jack's fault or the album's fault. I don't think anyone could have predicted such a safe project to be so over hyped :rip: even Lana herself seems to feel that way, shocked about it, especially in the most recent interview. I don't think the album is bad at all, I actually do like it just definitely not as much as her other albums. I can't say I love it but I can say I do love some of the tracks individually.

I like the album a lot more than my first listen, but I still don't consider it anywhere near the holy trifecta. Its cute, I'll give her that, but when cute is next to gorgeous well gorgeous is going to devour cute :oprah3:

Y0jLcfB.gif.˚₊‧.༻𓆩❤︎𓆪 My love's pourin' 𓆩‪‪❤︎𓆪༺.‧₊˚. yxuiMLe.gif
34h2wyS.gif

°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||Like a waterfall.||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||

1:32━━━━━♡────2:42

⇆ | ◁◁ ▐ ▌ ▷▷ | ↺

this is a little random but since we’re all eagerly awaiting cocc i’ve been religiously listening to nfr to pass the time and i have to say that i really disliked TNBAR initially, it was always a skip when i listened to the album but last night i was in my feelings and i listened to it like it was the first time i’d ever heard it and i like it so much more now. i’ve been listening to it all morning  :flutter:

Just now, peachlipgloss said:

this is a little random but since we’re all eagerly awaiting cocc i’ve been religiously listening to nfr to pass the time and i have to say that i really disliked TNBAR initially, it was always a skip when i listened to the album but last night i was in my feelings and i listened to it like it was the first time i’d ever heard it and i like it so much more now. i’ve been listening to it all morning  :flutter:

(of course my top favorite tracks are still HIAB and cinnamon girl) <3

8 minutes ago, peachlipgloss said:

(of course my top favorite tracks are still HIAB and cinnamon girl) <3

I understand this because I never liked Bartender too too much until a few weeks ago I went on a frenzy and listened to it on repeat for days and I finally saw the light :crying5:

7 minutes ago, Distantly said:

I understand this because I never liked Bartender too too much until a few weeks ago I went on a frenzy and listened to it on repeat for days and I finally saw the light :crying5:

honestly i love when this happens! it’s happened to me more than once where a song of hers takes quite a while to grow on me but once it does it makes such a difference when im listening to the album all the way through. it pains me to say that blue jeans was a song that had to grow on me

14 minutes ago, Distantly said:

Godtender stans, rise!!!! :oprah3:

One of her most unique songs!!

The power

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating.