Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

On 3/18/2021 at 11:46 PM, whiteroses said:

not me switching up from hating venice bitch to liking it now:hype: might even luv it soon

Venice Bitch is THAT BITCH

On 3/17/2021 at 9:27 AM, Aphrodite said:

What's your favourite video from this era? 

I think mine is the Fuck it I Love You + The Greatest :hype: 

DOIN' TIME MV SUPREMACY :party:

If I get a little prettier can I be your baby?

Beskrivning saknas.

I believe in Flipside/Is This Happiness?/Your Girl supremacy

I listened to Norman again and repeatedly during this week. I still can't see the hype around it. This record doesn't say anything to me and doesn't even paint a beautiful landscape or story like her previous and COCC.

Most of the tracks sound the same, have annoying instrumentals and the lyrics are cringe. If you scrap Doin' Time, this album would be exactly like a Romantic Ballads Vol. 1 that you can buy for $3 at Walmart, kind of album

What can I do to appreciate it more? This is a serious question. I learned how to appreciate L4L turning the album into an EP. But with Norman, I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel and this makes me extremely upset

2 hours ago, BluebirdXO said:

I listened to Norman again and repeatedly during this week. I still can't see the hype around it. This record doesn't say anything to me and doesn't even paint a beautiful landscape or story like her previous and COCC.

Most of the tracks sound the same, have annoying instrumentals and the lyrics are cringe. If you scrap Doin' Time, this album would be exactly like a Romantic Ballads Vol. 1 that you can buy for $3 at Walmart, kind of album

What can I do to appreciate it more? This is a serious question. I learned how to appreciate L4L turning the album into an EP. But with Norman, I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel and this makes me extremely upset

You have to go through a heartbreak and hear this album all day long and feel the songs.

Mfhp.gif

2 hours ago, BluebirdXO said:

I liked the album at first, when I was going thru some "relationship" issues....lol. Now that I've moved on, I realised I stopped listening to this album as much. There are still songs that I like, but overall - not my favourite, so I kinda have the same problem as you rn :) I've learnt to really appreciate Honeymoon and now it's my fav, but Norman still just hasn't stuck with me for some reason

꧁ღ⊱♥ i lost my reputation, i forgot my truth, but i have my beauty and i have my youth ♥⊱ღ꧂

BRILLIANT.gif

3 hours ago, BluebirdXO said:

28 minutes ago, TerrenceLovesHoneymoon said:

You have to go through a heartbreak and hear this album all day long and feel the songs.

As Terrence said, this album really is a heartbreak album. In my opinion, this is her saddest album. So if you're in a generally happy point of your life, you may just not relate to it. With this album, you really just need to feel the emotion in the songs on a personal level to understand the full scope of it. This was a blessing and a curse for me because this album dropped during the worst point of my life, so it helped me through so much at the time, but now it's sort of hard to listen back to without all the old memories flooding back. The album is full of gorgeous songs though.

The saddest songs on the album are California, Cinnamon Girl, The Greatest, and Hope. Great songs to cry & lose your mind to.

How to Disappear, Norman Fucking Rockwell, Fuck it I Love You, Happiness is a Butterfly, and Mariners can be quite sad too if you're in a particular state of sad.

Also, if you've just gone through a breakup, listening to the happier love songs such as Love Song & Venice Bitch will also make you cry like a baby lol.

Really, the only "neutral" songs on the album are Doin' Time, The Next Best American Record, and Bartender.

So yes, I would revisit this album when you're sad, and you'll probably be able to relate to it more and grow an appreciation for it. (& of course, I don't wish sadness on you! honestly, it's probably better that you can relate more to and enjoy more of her happier albums.)

But again, I'm so thankful that this album came out at the right time for me to really help me through the worst time of my life, even if that means it being a little tricky to listen back to now. I really am so grateful for it x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

18 hours ago, TerrenceLovesHoneymoon said:

18 hours ago, honeymo0n said:

I liked the album at first, when I was going thru some "relationship" issues....lol. Now that I've moved on, I realised I stopped listening to this album as much. There are still songs that I like, but overall - not my favourite, so I kinda have the same problem as you rn :) I've learnt to really appreciate Honeymoon and now it's my fav, but Norman still just hasn't stuck with me for some reason

18 hours ago, Elle said:

As Terrence said, this album really is a heartbreak album. In my opinion, this is her saddest album. So if you're in a generally happy point of your life, you may just not relate to it. With this album, you really just need to feel the emotion in the songs on a personal level to understand the full scope of it. This was a blessing and a curse for me because this album dropped during the worst point of my life, so it helped me through so much at the time, but now it's sort of hard to listen back to without all the old memories flooding back. The album is full of gorgeous songs though.

The saddest songs on the album are California, Cinnamon Girl, The Greatest, and Hope. Great songs to cry & lose your mind to.

How to Disappear, Norman Fucking Rockwell, Fuck it I Love You, Happiness is a Butterfly, and Mariners can be quite sad too if you're in a particular state of sad.

Also, if you've just gone through a breakup, listening to the happier love songs such as Love Song & Venice Bitch will also make you cry like a baby lol.

Really, the only "neutral" songs on the album are Doin' Time, The Next Best American Record, and Bartender.

So yes, I would revisit this album when you're sad, and you'll probably be able to relate to it more and grow an appreciation for it. (& of course, I don't wish sadness on you! honestly, it's probably better that you can relate more to and enjoy more of her happier albums.)

But again, I'm so thankful that this album came out at the right time for me to really help me through the worst time of my life, even if that means it being a little tricky to listen back to now. I really am so grateful for it x

Thank you all ❤

I'll give another chance to it when I'm sad

its weird because i wasnt a fan when norman came out but i think for me this really does feel like her most ''full'' album?? like this is what i imagine a lana album should be, liking it also has to do with me listening to it during the summer, those happy emotions i felt at the time really add to my appreciation for the album :really:

I started my own version of VB a while ago. I couldn't finish it, because, for that, I was using instrumentals covers that I found on YT. No one posted a psychedelic electric guitar, a violin, and a harp cover. So my dream died on the beach.

Sharing because someone might have caught the same vibe that I got with this song and wanted to materialize 

This is how I wanted VB to sound like (the instrumentals are a little chaotic because I moved the acapella track and was too lazy to move all the instrumentals):

* Listen with earphones

Explaining my vision, because it can be kinda confusing:

Imagine a bucolic midwest-californian painting becoming real. 

You have this house in the middle of nowhere and everything is yellowish and goldish.

Everything is in peace. You can hear the birds chirping, the soft wind blowing. You can breathe warm and tenderly.

In the chorus, you can feel the wind blowing even harder, but not out of control.

When 2:10 arrives, you have a complete change of weather. The sky is grey mixed with orange. The wind goes wild and it creates a tornado. 

The house is still peaceful. Undefeated in the middle of the chaos. Everything inside is cozy and warm. Like watching an old movie when you're a kid on a rainy day. The world can be on fire, but you're safe.

Then everything outside is peaceful again. The birds come back chirping and the soft wind is blowing.

This is just a vision of what the music evokes in me and what I tried to do

On 3/25/2021 at 8:27 AM, BluebirdXO said:

It's my least favorite of her records. I only appreciate MAC, VB, TG and Hope, which I only listen to occasionally. CG was, for me, ruined by sloppy production. The rest of the songs, to me, sound like something she could have whipped up in a matter of hours, and are, again, for me, not convincing. 

Even though NFR isn't one of my favorite albums of hers, I'll give it one thing: California tops almost anything in her discography. This song is so high above the rest. She hadn't made a song that was this powerful in ages. The beautiful and haunting melody, the strength and subtlety of the production, the darkness and power of the atmosphere, the deep, heartbreaking lyrics, the coldness of it all mixed with such raw, such heartfelt, such emotional content, it simply blows my mind every single time I listen to it. Anyone that has met someone they loved who then went away can relate to it in the best possible way. It's so cathartic it enables the listener to find beauty in such loss. Her voice sounds both so powerful and so desperate at the end of the chorus, it never fails to hit me. I knew this would be a career highlight from the moment I heard the qobuz snippet.

46 minutes ago, salvatore said:

'shaking my ass is the only thing thats got this black narcissist off my back' 

I hate this line so much, even though I know that there's nothing wrong with it

Spoiler

I hate 60% of the words she choose to put on HIADT and that ruins the whole song experience for me

Spoiler

Actually I only like this line:

There's a new revolution, a loud evolution that I saw

Born of confusion and quiet collusion of which mostly I've known

5 minutes ago, BluebirdXO said:

Reveal hidden contents

I hate 60% of the words she choose to put on HIADT and that ruins the whole song experience for me

Hide contents

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, BluebirdXO said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

I agree completely. The lyrics ruin an otherwise sonically perfect song for me. 

No that black narcissist line was definitely questionable lol. Like at first I genuinely thought she was talking about Azealia too because it was around this time she was beefing with her. I wouldn't have thought the line was bad if there was no beef but it was just bad timing. Let's hope RCS doesn't cause too much controversy but we still need a little :creepna:

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

26 minutes ago, Bunny Mozart said:

No that black narcissist line was definitely questionable lol. Like at first I genuinely thought she was talking about Azealia too because it was around this time she was beefing with her. I wouldn't have thought the line was bad if there was no beef but it was just bad timing. Let's hope RCS doesn't cause too much controversy but we still need a little :creepna:

I think that line is inspired by Sylvia Plath’s strained relationship with her mother.