Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Not to hate on NFR, but the more I listen to COTCC and the more time goes by and perspective towards this album grows wider, the more it looks like a random bunch of songs (few outstanding ones -VB, Hope-, some nice ones -Bartender, MAC,NFR, HTD, FIILY- and many, many fillers and/or poorly written ones -HIAB, TG, LS, TBNAR, DT, California) casually thrown together as an album and getting a huge crittical acclaim I still cant get how came to happen apart than the album having some truly genius moments and being released at a perfect sociopolitical timing (Trumps impeachment and right before a worldwide apocallyptical pandemic, which came to set some messages on it as almost prophetic).

I love Lana and her output in a very special, compromised way, also this album, but with time Ive got to think that, as a whole, it may be her weakest one.

11 minutes ago, sjatib said:

Not to hate on NFR, but the more I listen to COTCC and the more time goes by and perspective towards this album grows wider, the more it looks like a random bunch of songs (few outstanding ones -VB, Hope-, some nice ones -Bartender, MAC,NFR, HTD, FIILY- and many, many fillers and/or poorly written ones -HIAB, TG, LS, TBNAR, DT, California) casually thrown together as an album and getting a huge crittical acclaim I still cant get how came to happen apart than the album having some truly genius moments and being released at a perfect sociopolitical timing (Trumps impeachment and right before a worldwide apocallyptical pandemic, which came to set some messages on it as almost prophetic).

I love Lana and her output in a very special, compromised way, also this album, but with time Ive got to think that, as a whole, it may be her weakest one.

I love how people are starting to come to their senses...

I feel like in 10 years this album will be as important as Paradise. Nice, but overshadowed by their cool cousins 

i honestly can't listen to this album anymore, for the time being

it brings me back to a really happy time for me (partly due to the fact there was no pandemic) and it really makes me sad

great album, but the nostalgia linked with it is too much for me

negAbhB.png

I love MAC so much, it's objectively one of her best songs ever. The second pre-chorus' line You can see my heart burning in the distance with its nod to the album's cover with the burning in the background almost always makes me head over to Violet and listen to LA Who Am I to Love You afterwards and it all just fits so perfectly together I could cry. :lange:

When Thunder leaked, I compared its bridge to The greatest's burn out. Fire and burning have always been used stylistically for passion. So in a way and very indirectly she tells us with the cover not only about her awareness of environmental issues, but also how much she still loves the city despite the complex relationship she shares with it. :krylie::oprah::oprah2::trisha:

Probably reaching and it also could have already been talked about here. It nonetheless makes me so happy to find something, that intertwines all her projects with each other in such  a way.

DYJRPfi.gif c5dd836305cb85b3253fce96ae00741c547fd6fd.gif SH8DzJM.gif
???????, ??? ??? ?? ?? ???? ?????

I took a walk along the seafront yesterday and made a short playlist to listen to while I'd walk. Obviously had to include Venice bitch. Needless to say, it was an other-worldly experience :hair:

3 hours ago, Redhydrangeas99 said:

Just found this on facebook. It looks like they’re really having trouble with vinyls lol

http://FA289-F16-BA9-D-4017-BD09-F5-B2-A35-C7-C

Can you elaborate? I'm naturally confused, so if you don't give the full info I'll be even more confused 

Spoiler

But one looks fake is that it?

6 hours ago, BluebirdXO said:

Can you elaborate? I'm naturally confused, so if you don't give the full info I'll be even more confused 

Hide contents

But one looks fake is that it?

One disc is opaque green (which is how the discs should be) and the other one is translucent green.

http://EB94-F944-4-FE0-4885-9-DE3-3-CC6-C68-A9-

The legacy

@ItsaWhale89 mentioned the NFR livestream she did and I watched it and I have THOUGHTS. So I’m spilling them here 

(I took notes and I’m just copying and pasting them and a little edit)

———————————————-

The background vocals in the chorus :bebe:

Redeeming her high notes

Jack “do you remember how the song (NFR) started? The old version :)”

Lana: “Mm. No.”

Jack “you don’t? :(“

Queen of knowing none of her lyrics!!

*Jack continues to sing the original version while Lana laughs and repeats him trying to remember*

She is so over sing the chorus by this point

*Jack continues to describe MORE of the song because he remembers the whole thing while she can’t remember any of it*

Lana: “yeah. That was cool.”

I LOVE hearing DBJAG demo. Still top 3 for me

Omg she has to sing the chorus AGAIN

I love how you literally watch her create the old song again, she gets SUPER good when she stops caring and just freestyles (that “you’re back in the bar again, hanging OUT with you stupid friends” sounds better than the whole first half of the livestream 

“They said the service is looking gewd” like! She’s incredible. 

L: “Fuck.” 

Two seconds later “thank you Jack you’re the shit”

Jack: “oh you don’t wanna sing more?:(“

Lana: “no” starts laughing at that outrageous assumption 

“I’m happy it’s (NFR) not a big secret anymore” Jack is over the fans harassing him, too. 

Lana: “do you remember the first song we did?”

Jack: “of course” silence. 

(Coming from the man who knew 95% of Bird World. He was waiting for her to say what it was because it probably wasn’t Love Song. It was probably LA who am I or some other random outtake)

I love that they call NFR Normie 

Mentions the triple video MONTHS before release 

WHERE IS THE BEACH INTERVIEW LANA

Oooh she described the beach interview as “interesting” while sounding a little annoyed

She described Love Song as “stark” and is “the kind of song you have to have a video for” 

Jack: “do you have a video?”

Lana: “I do. I’d like to paint it” add that to the thread of LIES

She realizes CG is the “sauciest”

The being “fucked up in Boston” time period inspired a lot of HTD and CG lyrics (and probably some of the poetry (sugarfish at the top of my head))

Jack: “Lana. What’s your favorite song”

Lana: *long pause while glaring* “Norman 

Jack: “Why”

Lana: *long pause* “I love ur chords”

She says Hope is eerie and weird to put out when you don’t know what your next record is going to sound like and you have no idea what your next step in life is. 

So when she said she wanted to surprise drop a new album in 12-13 months after NFR, she was just being hopeful

Lana thought Norman could have been completed when doing Love Song and Hope (which apparently were also the first two songs so that would have been a super short album)

L: “If they still made albums that were still A side and B side, we would have so many joint gems” YES!! I always say she would do best releasing dual singles

“Nobody is spilling shit Allison, fuck off” has me rolling

L: “Do you have any pets? No I do not. I was going to get a family of 2 German Shepard”

J: “don’t lie.”

L: *nervous laugher* “okay it was 4”

Jack is ROASTING Lana so hard omg

Now she has 2 cats and chickens love the growth 

L: “Chuck, what was our first show? When we went ice skating? In the arena?”

C: *confused look*

L: “shania Twain!” Ugh yes Stan Queen shania 

Love how Chuck seems just as clueless about things as Lana

Why the secrecy??? I wanna know what someone at Fish left behind that got them banned from lack placid 

“Do a video figure skating” I blame that person for her broken arm 

C+J: “I was obsessed with shania” “who wasn’t?”

Laura: “me.” Well fuck you bitch 

Mentions the three part video AGAIN

“Out in October around all of our shows” LIE

L: “Make sure I sign off before I say something FUUUCKED UP” 

*disconnects*

L: “I Fucking hate my fans” (I’m assuming)

"Don’t forget me"

20 minutes ago, Marius said:

Listening to MAC in a sunny day is something else. :icant: This album really is that bitch. 

I seriously cannot fathom why half of this fandom doesn’t like this album and never will be able to

i honestly think it’s mostly like being annoyed that this was the first time the critic-sphere really accepted her talents fully and feeling elitist and superior for turning their nose up at something so critically acclaimed but like ....

brain worms for those who don’t like this album