Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

22 minutes ago, Marius said:

Listening to MAC in a sunny day is something else. :icant: This album really is that bitch. 

I’ll never forget when she posted the first snippet of it..I loved it from that moment, and the whole song did nothing but make me love it even more :crying4:

"Don’t forget me"

16 minutes ago, littleredpartydress said:

I seriously cannot fathom why half of this fandom doesn’t like this album and never will be able to

i honestly think it’s mostly like being annoyed that this was the first time the critic-sphere really accepted her talents fully and feeling elitist and superior for turning their nose up at something so critically acclaimed but like ....

brain worms for those who don’t like this album 

people are allowed to not like the album as much as others, I could say the same about LFL because it’s my fave and everyone hates it :thumb2:

my problem is

1: the wait soured the whole era for me. Having snippets of almost every song for over a year was overkill (which I get is my own fault for listening to them)

2: I felt like the songs didn’t live up to their potential. MAC/VB/DT I loved the second I heard the snippet and the full songs made me love them more. Love Song, Cinnamon Girl, and Happiness (and even a little bit of title track) just didn’t go in a way I thought it would, and the full songs disappointed me

(The party dress I’m a mess line in LS still irks me to this day. The melody is cute but the lyrics feel so overdone. And the fact that we basically had all of CG in 18 and the last minute is such a tease because the ending instrumentals outdo the song itself)

I like the album more as joint songs (MAC/VB, CG/HTD, FIILY/TG, HIAB/Bartender) but as a whole it’s my least favorite collection of songs. The flow is super weird (LS following DT is a super weird choice as well as TNBAR in between California and TG)

edit: not to mention the demo of BAR fits more thematically than the version she put out (‘you did it all for fame, tell me how life treats you now’ fits the theme of self inflated ego artist more than ‘I’m taking off my bathing suit’)

edit again: like personally, HIAB hurt me SO BAD. I loved each and every snippet she posted and have never been so hyped for a Lana song, and then the full song came out and it is the most discombobulated song she’s ever released. It sounds like 3 very different songs shoved together in one. It doesn’t flow and they don’t fit with eachother 

Again; this is all my own personal opinion and we can all like and not like songs 

"Don’t forget me"

I remember when Norman came out, I knew it would be loved upon first listen by so many people. It feels very comfortable for Lana and stays true to that early 70s SoCal sound she has mastered while showing a lighter side of her lyrically. 

So many songs on the album have a certain production or other elements that made them feel like instant-classics in Lana’s universe when they were newly released - I think I can make that case for myself with every single song on the album!

I know a lot of people’s issues with the record on here lie within the production, the rollout, and how it feels “safe” - and don’t get me wrong, they’re completely valid in those feelings - but those are actually the reasons why I love Norman. It’s a mood record that’s very easy for me to listen to day-to-day (it’s perfect driving music, especially when you’re driving along the coast or when you’re driving in a beachtown) and I just love that sound in general. 

These are just my thoughts so, again, in no way am I trying to challenge anyone’s differing opinions on the album! <3 just thought I’d throw in that disclaimer because I know this album is a very divisive topic on the site lol.

kinda rando but I went to the location where that one clip in the Venice MV is located (the one in my sig)! it's in SF and it's called Ocean Beach and it's actually kinda close to my apartment but I haven't gone in a while since it's been foggy/windy. It was a clear day today though so :flutter: I never really appreciated the area until I saw the video and it's been one of my favorite places in SF ever since (i always listen to VB while watching the sunset!). it looks kinda different today because they've made changes over time but it still has the same charm and is absolutely beautiful during the sunset. the surrounding area is even more beautiful imo 

jJW01Bw.jpg  

this is what it looks like the opposite direction

gDtWa55.jpg

and how it looks like at the beach! 

pESuQN1.jpg

sgopYhV.gif

On 4/18/2021 at 7:16 AM, Redhydrangeas99 said:

Just found this on facebook. It looks like they’re really having trouble with vinyls lol

http://FA289-F16-BA9-D-4017-BD09-F5-B2-A35-C7-C

wait are these from two separate packages? or are they the 2 LP's that make up one package?

I'm glad that the majority consensus of HIADT seems to have changed from "it's ugly/boring" to people finally acknowledging that it's a masterpiece. It never deserved the hate it got in 2019 :dorothy2:

Though I do agree it's better within the context of the album and that choosing to release it as a stand-alone single was an odd choice. Nevertheless it's always been a v beautiful song 

I'm sure this has been said many times before, but I wish she had found some balance between the finished version of BAR and the demo.

I like the anger/vengeance and outro melody (so freaking good) of the demo, but I think the finished version fits in better with the rest of NFR and sounds more polished.

Also, the fact that Bartender is the least played song on NFR on Spotify is a CRIME. :kum:

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

This album reminds me of summer of 19’ before covid . Good memories 
i hope i feel more optimistic soon  :cat:

𝑳𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆