Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

This record brings me immense happiness. I don’t know if it’s because I live on the west coast + lead a very west-coast-centric life (casual, relaxed, slow living, etc.) that is totally in line with the mood of the album, but I really feel a resonance with its entire essence.

I know it’s a bit controversial to like this album on here, but I really do love it and think it was an amazing addition to Lana’s already consistently-superb discography at the time (her discography continues to be amazing and WILL continue to be as such!). 

Venice Bitch is my favourite song of all time and is a staple in Lana’s discography. The levels of simplicity and complexity that interact with each other throughout the song are beautiful.  

This whole record is art and is just so comforting to listen to. Love it :wub: just wanted to shower a bit of appreciation on this record as I really was reminded of how much I love it today. 

46 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

This record brings me immense happiness. I don’t know if it’s because I live on the west coast + lead a very west-coast-centric life (casual, relaxed, slow living, etc.) that is totally in line with the mood of the album, but I really feel a resonance with its entire essence.

I know it’s a bit controversial to like this album on here, but I really do love it and think it was an amazing addition to Lana’s already consistently-superb discography at the time (her discography continues to be amazing and WILL continue to be as such!). 

Venice Bitch is my favourite song of all time and is a staple in Lana’s discography. The levels of simplicity and complexity that interact with each other throughout the song is beautiful.  

This whole record is art and is just so comforting to listen to. Love it :wub: just wanted to shower a bit of appreciation on this record as I really was reminded of how much I love it today. 

Yess I agree and relate with everything you said (especially VB :flutter:) . I think this past year I drifted a bit away from it after seeing all the criticism it gets on LB, but listening to the instrumentals I really do see the magic again. It's really helped me appreciate songs I wasn't too fond of (HTD, TNBAR) but made me appreciate the ones I love even more (basically the rest, but special shout out to MAC/VB, FIILY, California, TG, HIAB, HIADT). I think especially now with Lana doing stuff with more producers, NFR is really starting to become a gem for me.

sgopYhV.gif

just came here to say that yesterday i listened to nfr again after a long tome and damn... it is still sooo good.

I never meant to be bad or unwell I was just living on the edge right between heaven and hell & I'm tired of it 

My relationship with this album is weird somehow...at first I absolutely loved it but then it started to age like milk  except a few songs.  Over the last year I wasn’t a big fan of it but today I decided to give it another go and i don't know what happened but I'm starting to really like it again. Still not one of my faves but something clicked with me today & I really appreciate this album. Maybe it's the summery weather & me missing the beach & sea a lot . Also it took me back to September 2019 again, I got my car in that summer & after NFR got released it was my soundtrack for driving  & I felt free, listened to VB on the beach...ugh beautiful memories...

I was more of a hater but fuck it this album has something magical 

Even the tracks I didn't liked grew on me today. I think I will stop to skip them :trisha:

Venice Bitch is still THAT bitch!!! One of my fave songs ever:oprah:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

It’s the first hot morning in LA in a while and I am currently strolling through neighborhoods sitting on benches walking through parks sitting under palm trees drinking iced coffee with this album on FULL BLAST and I swear … the reason y’all don’t like this is because you haven’t heard it how it’s truly meant to be experienced 

THE BEST FUCKING ALBUM OF ALL TIME I SAID WHAT I SAID !!!!!!!!

Venice bitch playing in venice omfg this is history. It’s history. 

m8wet4s.gif

Mariners apartment complex 

WTF! WTF! WTF!!!!0

so it's even more beautiful and heartbreaking and meaningful when u think about how she's at the port where goods come n go all the time around the world, but she's stationed there like she's overseeing it all in the greatest, mv. deserves a coke collaboration commercial i can see it on big screens 'fore the movie starts

UV/Honeymoon

50 minutes ago, Diamantes WILD said:

so it's even more beautiful and heartbreaking and meaningful when u think about how she's at the port where goods come n go all the time around the world, but she's stationed there like she's overseeing it all in the greatest, mv. deserves a coke collaboration commercial i can see it on big screens 'fore the movie starts

aww i love this description lol the fiily/greatest mv is really peaceful to me, really random but i've always liked its color scheme.

tbh this raises the point that NFR's music videos are obviously pretty different compared to her other eras. i think a lot of her videos have linear stories behind them, like LFL, BTD, BJ, WC. HBTB etc. but the NFR videos are just..vibey (except for Doin Time I guess). Even the FIILY/greatest mv's just showcase her crying, surfing, having fun at the dive bar, chilling in the sea port, etc. like, I know a lot of people don't like the venice mv because nothing really happens in it, but it's my favorite because of that. Even the NFR triple mv follows this and i personally just think it's cute (even though I don't watch it that much :creep:). i can only imagine how much fun she had recording all of these mv's.

sgopYhV.gif

I was finally able to listen to NFR at the sea and wow it fits perfectly. I'm shook how good NFR sounds while being at the sea. It made me fall in love with this album even more now. After that experience I think NFR is one of my faves albums. I love the sea so much & I always feel happy when I'm at the sea & NFR is the perfect soundtrack to it.  And supringisly California fitted to the sea so good!! I didn't expected it but wow listening to California while the sunset paints the sea & beach into a golden tone, birds flying around and you are with the feet in the sea is everything I ever needed. Always loved the sea visuals for NFR but wow yesterday it felt like I'm living in them.  NFR & the sea are truly perfection :krylie: you can tell that listening to NFR at the sea was truly a life changing moment :krylie:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

1 hour ago, JehovahThikness said:

aww i love this description lol the fiily/greatest mv is really peaceful to me, really random but i've always liked its color scheme.

tbh this raises the point that NFR's music videos are obviously pretty different compared to her other eras. i think a lot of her videos have linear stories behind them, like LFL, BTD, BJ, WC. HBTB etc. but the NFR videos are just..vibey (except for Doin Time I guess). Even the FIILY/greatest mv's just showcase her crying, surfing, having fun at the dive bar, chilling in the sea port, etc. like, I know a lot of people don't like the venice mv because nothing really happens in it, but it's my favorite because of that. Even the NFR triple mv follows this and i personally just think it's cute (even though I don't watch it that much :creep:). i can only imagine how much fun she had recording all of these mv's.

definitellllyyyy 

even MAC n VB are perfect visuals to just have while experiencing/remembering the connection w the songs. they had a stronger connection w each other towards a story forsure, it seemed a lot more linear. and yeah I knoooowww it spanned from like start, love, loss and moving forward. 

norman's video needed more oomph imo, but hiab was pretty nice feel-wise imo. the connection was there for me for it so it was great. 

DT was just flat out iconic. FIILY/TG's just incredible, a masterpiece. I know the place quite personally well too so it connects so well. that and just beach towns hahahahahaha but even more so. 

the vibes are just too great for me imo agree. there was a lot range and it all seemed pretty well painted thru-out in themes and imagery so I love it even more 

UV/Honeymoon

I was watching Road to Singapore earlier and Bob Hope wears a black sweater and white pants throughout the entire film and I swear he looked exactly like the guy on the NFR cover, it was kinda freaky. I don’t know if it was intentional, but Dorothy Lamour does wear her hair in a similar style to the one Lana has on the NFR cover, which makes me think it could be. 
vc73c.jpg
Road_to_Singapore.jpg

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

ok i don't want to spam this thread but I was on a trip to the sea & I personally needed that & it showed me personally some things & that overall made me happy & NFR was basically my soundtrack to it. I just can't stop saying how perfect NFR fits the sea, I could write a whole book about it.  NFR is one of my favourite & most personal Lana albums ever now & it's crazy when you think about that I didn't really  liked it some weeks ago. Totally can understand now when people say it's their favorite Lana album.  Basically NFR is something I always wanted from Lana but I was blind & I can't put in words how thankful I am for Venice Bitch :trisha:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

And fuck The Greatest really has become now one of my top 10 Lana songs & I didn't really liked it before but damn it's so good & I had a personal experience with it today which was life changing for me actually :trisha:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Damn just listened to all of the NFR instrumentals and wow Lana & Jack & the other producers truly snapped. I definitely love NFR even more now !!!  The production is better & fuller then I expected !! VB ,CG &  California instrumental are HEAVEN :krylie:  the bongos & finger picking guitar , the piano in VB , never noticed them before but I love them :angie:  THE SYNTH/ BASS RIGHT BEFORE THE OUTRO OF CG IS EVERYTHING  EARGASMN:oprah: But also noticed some Details in the other songs & wow fucking yes !!

This album is truly a classic:trisha:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Our dear Venice Bitch is 4ever THAT bitch :flutter: (also MAC. Wooow)

If I get a little prettier can I be your baby?

Beskrivning saknas.

I believe in Flipside/Is This Happiness?/Your Girl supremacy

I only recently understood the beauty of « California ». And all thanks to a Lisa Simpson meme with a caption like « when you start « California » again because the part that hurts didn’t hurt you bad enough » or something like that. 

Made me listen to the song for the first time in a long time and dang…

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

8 minutes ago, BlueJeans said:

I only recently understood the beauty of « California ». And all thanks to a Lisa Simpson meme with a caption like « when you start « California » again because the part that hurts didn’t hurt you bad enough » or something like that. 

Made me listen to the song for the first time in a long time and dang…

Oh, all hail to the amazing, amazing Cali <3 :crai: That song is truly something else

If I get a little prettier can I be your baby?

Beskrivning saknas.

I believe in Flipside/Is This Happiness?/Your Girl supremacy