Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

4 minutes ago, lanasbottom said:

nfr discourse again close this fucking thread :smokeney:

I have managed to force NFR to be my least favorite Lana album because of the discourse surrounding it. I am spiteful what can I say. 

(I still love all her albums)

Now that Doja Cat, Ariana, Camila, Cardi B, Kehlani and Nicki Minaj and Beyonce have had number ones with songs about being sexy, wearing no clothes, fucking, cheating etc - can I please go back to singing about being embodied, feeling beautiful by being in love even if the relationship is not perfect, or dancing for money - or whatever I want - without being crucified or saying I'm glamorizing abuse??????

If other albums deserved that title "Lana's best record" then why didn't they get that recognition? When Lana released NFR she came from L4L so the influence of having just released a good album couldn't have been the reason for NFR becoming her flagship album. I agree that there are albums that deserve more recognition, like Honeymoon, but I also think that if NFR gets that title it must be for a reason. 

Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters GIF - Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters -  Discover & Share GIFsin medias res: Gods and Monsters, Lana Del Rey

3 minutes ago, Selfloathinpoet said:

If other albums deserved that title "Lana's best record" then why didn't they get that recognition? When Lana released NFR she came from L4L so the influence of having just released a good album couldn't have been the reason for NFR becoming her flagship album. I agree that there are albums that deserve more recognition, like Honeymoon, but I also think that if NFR gets that title it must be for a reason. 

I definitely do understand that and get your point. My take is critics had been shitting on her for a while when I believe they should not have been (like btd), so to see them hype up NFR but hate on her past album just upsets me. 

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

Just now, Selfloathinpoet said:

but I also think that if NFR gets that title it must be for a reason. 

because it’s basically watered down lana. it’s a cute album but nothing on it is mind blowing or that different from her earlier work, it’s just easy to digest (sonically and lyrically compared to hm or uv) for critics who are mostly just idiots and don’t like anything that’s too out there 

3 minutes ago, mssainttropez said:

I definitely do understand that and get your point. My take is critics had been shitting on her for a while when I believe they should not have been (like btd), so to see them hype up NFR but hate on her past album just upsets me. 

I see your vision and I agree with you!

Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters GIF - Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters -  Discover & Share GIFsin medias res: Gods and Monsters, Lana Del Rey

Oh lord, it's again time when Analboards starts trashing NFR! and praises HM as the better album. Delusion works in mysterious ways. Someone said that on ATRL. And it is so true, why do you always have the same argument?

1 hour ago, Selfloathinpoet said:

Oh lord, it's again time when Analboards starts trashing NFR! and praises HM as the better album. Delusion works in mysterious ways. Someone said that on ATRL. And it is so true, why do you always have the same argument?

Because music is subjective but the production is objectively more layered and “unique”. Tell me five albums off the top of your head like Honeymoon-I could do this for NFR in a heartbeat.

Anyways Jack peaked with one of the best pop rock songs ever made and was never able to recapture it.

1 hour ago, Selfloathinpoet said:

And to think that in the LFL pre-release era, HM was called a snooze fest… :toofunny: 

2 hours ago, Fingertips said:

Norman's lyrics aren't better or worse than her previous albums. She just started writing about different things in a different style that people, including me, found very refreshing.

Exactly! :true:

To me, with Norman, we began to see lyrics where she revealed a bit more. Not that she was « dishonest » before, not at all. All of her albums always have her beautiful songwriting, but I feel like some barriers «fell » with Norman, where she let us in a bit more and more «directly » into her inner world

- Give me Hallmark, one dream, one life, one lover

- don’t ask if I’m happy, you know that I’m not but at least I can say I’m not sad

- if you hold me without hurting me, you’ll the first who ever did. 
- I fucked up, I know that but Jesus, can a girl just do the best she can?

- why wait for the best when I could have you? / if he’s a serial killer then what’s the worst that could happen to a girl who’s already hurt? 
COCC has some of those moments too, BB also. And the Tunnel title track has some very honest lyrics as well. 

Listened to this album again after a really long time and wheww Mariners, Venice Bitch,  Cinnamon Girl, Godfornia & The Greatest FLOORED ME:lange:

Overall  such a great album,  I truly forgot that :oprah: I truly regret being a NFR hater everytime I listen to the album

Even Love Song gave me goosebumps today & while I prefer TNBAR Demo the released version slapped & hit :trisha: skips? I don't know her

Forever grateful this album exists & forever stanning Mariners, VENICE BITCH, Filly  Cinnamon Girl , The Greatest ,California , Bartender & Hope :true:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

I've been lazy the last few months and have only listened to this on streaming, but yesterday I went for a drive and put the actual CD on, and the sound quality is just stunning. Little details I'd forgotten about just jumped out. I think I'm going to have to upgrade NFR in my ratings.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

On 8/29/2019 at 11:07 PM, TrashMagiq said:

I wanna make it clear that asking what y’all think the vinyl color’s gonna be is still relevant since new vinyl colors keep popping up. Y’all should have a list of colors ready. This is important discussion we should be having.

Gold, Like Target’s pressing of ABBA’s greatest hits.

But it’s a 4?LP 45rpm Set with Season of the Witch & Looking for America…

:ma:

On 1/21/2023 at 3:40 PM, The Siren said:

which version of FIILY is on the music video? the digital or physical version?

The alternate version was only on initial pressings to my knowledge, The reissue CD & Vinyl should have the actual version…

EDIT:

Ok I could’ve sworn that Both Vinyl & CD were reissued early 2020.

But on Discogs I’m only seeing the 2019 for CD?

I don’t think that’s correct. Because I think I had contemplated buying it to have the actual version of the song on CD.

Idk…

IMG-3521.jpg

28 minutes ago, DeadSeaOfMercury said:

The alternate version was only on initial pressings to my knowledge, The reissue CD & Vinyl should have the actual version…

EDIT:

Ok I could’ve sworn that Both Vinyl & CD were reissued early 2020.

But on Discogs I’m only seeing the 2019 for CD?

I don’t think that’s correct. Because I think I had contemplated buying it to have the actual version of the song on CD.

Idk…

Can anyone confirm this? There might have been a different master used without making it obvious on the packaging. I just want someone who has bought the CD in the past year to let us know if it has the more bare bones first version or the 'surf drums' version that's on the video.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

5 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

In what sense was NFR! about ‘world building’? Any thoughts? 

At least in one way—The Greatest—it wa about world destroying. 

In the sense that the songs were carefully written , produced and curated to create what we know today as NFR. She was trying to achieve specific melodies and get across certain messages in the lyrics, in other words she had a specific vision, or creating the NFR world. Now it’s more impromptu 

7 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

In what sense was NFR! about ‘world building’? Any thoughts? 

At least in one way—The Greatest—it wa about world destroying. 

i guess it's the whole Laurel Canyon connection throughout the album and the love story with a self-obsessed man loser and the way that it was originally titled "Bird World"

while for Ocean Blvd, it's more like an introspective diary type of "vibe" album

giphy.gif

20 minutes ago, LanaBalkana said:

In the sense that the songs were carefully written , produced and curated to create what we know today as NFR. She was trying to achieve specific melodies and get across certain messages in the lyrics, in other words she had a specific vision, or creating the NFR world. Now it’s more impromptu 

Thank you.

If that's accurate, it's ironic for me, as it's my least-favorite of all her works, the one I consider the least Lana-like, and I consider some tracks--like HIAB--to be subpar and below her. As I see it, there are 5 good or great tracks and the rest is mediocre and unchallenging at best.

I consider both COCC and BB to be vastly better and truer in spirit to the Lana I recognize. 

Just listened to Venice Bitch for the first time in a while and the fact that it wasn’t the closing track for NFR is just :trisha:

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・