Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Lol @ Doin’ Time flopping in the poll

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

ok so let me pretend that i never listened to the leaks and i’m about to listen to the album for the first time

"Some days are for falling in love with people, some days for cities, and some for your time in solitude."

Before we fully start out this post-release thread I just wanna make it clear that ‘hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but I have it” slander is unacceptable and I will NOT tolerate it.

qfrWuBl.png

So what color’s the vinyl gonna b

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

Before we fully start out this post-release thread I just wanna make it clear that ‘hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but I have it” slander is unacceptable and I will NOT tolerate it.

I voted for it as my favorite track :)

Ladies and gents and everyone in between... we have survived THIS.

This is long just so you know

- Lana and Jack Antonoff start working together. (First week of) January.

- In an interview with Pitchfork, Lana says, “I’ve got a couple of other tracks. I’ve got this weird track called ‘Bartender’ that doesn’t belong to a record yet.”. She hopes to create a music video for the song. January 28th.

- Fan hears Lana speaking of a new song, Sylvia which is inspired by Sylvia Plath, and a new project during a concert of her L.A. To The Moon Tour. San Diego, February 15.

- Teases (demo) snippet of Happiness Is A Butterfly on Instagram, March 29th

- Mariners Apartment Complex announced September 7th

- BBC1 Radio Interview by Annie Mac, September 12th

--- Mariners Apartment Complex release

--- Reveals having an album in the works: "I don't think it will be out until the top of the next year"

--- Mentions working on a poetry book

--- Mentions some inspiration for the sound of the album: "[...] in the vein of a Laurel Canyon sound. And it kind of transformed a little bit, 'cause there are some surf elements to some of the songs. I mean, it's not really surf-y, like Dick Dale(?), just a lot of, like... I don't know. Electric guitar. Yeah, maybe a little Red Hot Chili Peppers influences in there."

- Beats1 interview by Zane Lowe, September 18th

--- Venice Bitch release (announced the day before)

--- Reveals album title, Norman Fucking Rockwell, and mentions the sound of it.

"I don't usually like to put something new out unless I know what the whole record's gonna sound like. Jack and I started working in the first week of Januray and even then, I kinda knew, by Labour Day I'd probably be pretty close to finishing most of the record. [...] I told him I had three songs that I already liked for a new record [...] And we sat down in this studio in New York, and he kind of started everything 'cause he would just play chords for hours, and he's so good at piano- Some of the stuff he writes, melodically, is kind of classical and, in my case, it ended up turning more folky. [...] and in our first week, I had two songs that I just thought were maybe, like, two of the best songs I had written."

"He just sat down at his piano, and started - I don't know if he was thinking of The Beetles at the time, but he had a lot of, really, kind of (sorry, I can't hear the word - queery???), Sgt. Pepper-y - I mean, to me, that's how it sounded - little arrangements."

"It was the album title since March, and I never thought it was going to be something else. [...] The title track is called Norman Fucking Rockwell, and it's kind of about this guy who, like, he's such a genius artist but he thinks he's the shit and he knows it, and he, like, won't shut up talking about it, but it's like, so often ended up with, you know, being the creative type or not and he just goes on and on about himself, like 'yeah, yeah'. But there's also a little bit of narrative to it also, I mean, the art's so good. I just liked the title track so much that I was like 'okay, I definitely want the record to also be called that.'".

--- Mentions working on a poetry book, Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass. She mentiones having 13 poems.

--- Mentions that the album will have 11 tracks

--- Mentions that she's considering putting out a "stand alone" single in October. "It's not a fun one, just a serious one, thoughtful one." (I'm guessing this is Sylvia/hope is a dangerous thing...)

- How to Disappear snippet on Instagram, October 5th

- Second snippet of Happiness Is A Butterfly, October 6th

- Cinnamon snippet, October 13th

- Second snippet of Cinnamon, October 15th

- Posts snippet of (Sylvia Plath most likely renamed to) hope is a dangerous thing..., October 25th

- Jack Antonoff plays around with adding beats to How To Disappear in the studio, October 27th

- Sings Venice Bitch and How To Disappear live at Apple's event, New York, October 30th

- (Posts pictures from Yosemite, November 26th)

- Sings Hey Blue Baby and Stupid For Being So Happy live at Ally Coalition Talent Show, New York, December 5th

- The Fader mentions, December 6th, that NFR will be released in March

- MTV and Complex magazine article, December 6th: release date for NFR is March 29th 2019

- Instagram live, December 30th:

--- Mentions that NFR is "finished and mastered"

--- Mentions that she will re-shoot the album cover because Ben didn't like the first idea

--- "Deeply, instrospective, thoughtful, sad girl shit"

--- No photoshoots with Neil (Krug)

- Mentions sometime during the year that the album will be released in early 2019

- Mentions again that the album is done

- An unknown song with Lana’s voice in it can be heard in an Instagram story by her sister, Chuck. Sometime during the second half of 2018.

- Snippet of unknown song, dubbed as In Your Car by fans, January 1st

- Writes on Instagram that some shows will be cancelled and that the poetry book was finished the week before, January 2nd

- Third snippet of Happiness Is A Butterfly, January 11th

- iD article, February 6th: mentions that the album will be released in March, 2019

- Harper's Bazaar interview, February 7th: NFR has 13 tracks, last 3 tracks of the album has rock undertones, "no bangers" will be on the album

- hope is a dangerous thing..., released January 9th

- Briefly talks about NFR for Vanity Fair, February 25th.

"It was kind of an exclamation mark: so this is the American dream, right now. This is where we’re at—Norman fucking Rockwell. We’re going to go to Mars, and [Donald] Trump is president, all right. Me and Jack, we just joke around constantly about all the random headlines we might see that week, so it’s a slight cultural reference. But it’s not a cynical thing, really. To me, it’s hopeful, to see everything as a little bit funnier. The chaos of the culture is interesting, and I’m hopeful that there’s room for there to be some movement and excitement within it."

- Posts a picture of her poem Happy, February 20th

- February 22nd: Ben denies on Instagram that the release day is March 22nd 2019. He also replies that there is yet no set date for the release of the album.

- ELLE Canada interview, March 4th:

--- She's not planning a big launch for the album

--- "It’s not too bombastic, sonically. It’s very easy-going and I have a couple more songs I’m gonna release before [the album is out]. It’s very pretty."

--- "(Jack) is the most easy-going producer I've ever met. [...] He was good at just leaning back and letting whatever came out of each session come out. It’s really important to work with somebody who says yes a lot and is open to more experimental sounds. I got lucky with him."

--- "It was my most chill recording process. [...] We were recording just a few miles from my house. So I felt really spoiled to be able to go grab my own coffee and spend a couple hours [in the studio]. I think for that reason I really like the tone of this record."

--- " I think with this record I have the least like, plan, I’ve ever had. I definitely don’t feel like there’s a plan. Or that there needs to be, which is kind of fun. I feel like the music goes where it’s supposed to when it’s not shoved in any direction. I’m a little bit of a purist that way, much to the dismay of everybody I work with."

--- "Even though I record close to home, I write a little further away. I always go like 80 miles north or south of LA and just have my own thing going on there. I had a couple of towns in mind when I’m writing, a laid back vibe, some of my friends. A lot of the songs are just a day in the life. There’s a little bit of a nod to cultural things but not really in a big way. I think the melodies are some of my best, which is good because that’s something you can’t force."

Things she mentioned about her poetry book, Violet Bent Backwards Over The Grass, can be read in the interview.

- March 6th, 25th: shares poems and haikus from her upcoming poetry book

- Tweets from her MissDaytona account, March 21st: “album is done lil b but who knows when it will come out.”

- March 22nd: mentions during BUKU Project, New Orleans, that she's "putting it [the album] out kinda slowly"

- Teases snippet of an unknown song on Instagram, April 3rd

- Posts a new poem on Instagram, April 11th

- Abigail Rockwell confirms on Twitter that the album delay is not due to a conflict with the Rockwell estate regarding the album’s name, April 11th

- Posts two poems on Instagram and Twitter, April 20th

- Mentions that she has a couple of songs she wants to release before the album. I currently lost the source and date for this, but it was before the release of Doin' Time if I'm not mistaken.

- May 6th: AllAccess reports that a song called Doin’ Time will have radio impact on May 20th

- May 7th: Confirmation that Doin’ Time is a cover of Sublime’s song and is intended for a documentary of the band and will (most likely) not be included in Lana’s album.

- May 15th: Lana announces on social media that Doin' Time will be out on May 17th. Spotify New Zealand released it at midnight.

- Ben Mawson comments under his own Instagram post that “It’s going to be a good year... album(s) coming too”, June 1st. No confirmation if he meant Lana’s album or not. Lana liked the comment.

- New poem, "Bare feet on linoleum", gets printed in Vogue Italia's July issue, June 2nd.

- Teases snippet of the title track, Norman Fucking Rockwell, on Instagram, June 15th.

- Rumors about a collaboration with Ariana Grande and Miley Cyrus, June 18th. There are also rumors of a collaboration with Taylor Swift after a “Norman Rockwell” painter was seen in one of her music videos, and after Swift mentioning one of Lana’s songs being her favorites.

- Charlie’s Angels gifs on Giphy tagged Lana, Ariana and Miley on one of the gifs, basically meaning that the collaboration is true and the song will be for the soundtrack of the upcoming movie. June 22nd.

- Mentions while on stage, Malahide Castle, Dublin, Ireland, that the album will be out in two months. June 22nd.

- Confirmation from Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus and “Charlie’s Angels” director and actress Elizabeth Banks that Lana will be in the soundtrack for the upcoming movie and that a trailer will be released the day after. Lana updates her social media of the news some hours later. June 26th.

- Rumors emerge that some kind of information about the album will come on July 2nd

- Jack posts a picture on Instagram where Lana is seen in the studio, July 3rd

- Is seen in California with her sister Chuck, backup dancer Alex, an actor and a film director(?), and her make up artist is in California as well. She left a film camera emoji in the caption. Instagram, July 4th.

- A comment on Sublime's Facebook page said they were contacted by Lana's team to sell them a van used by the band. July 13th?

- Lana says the album will be “coming out next month”, FIB Festival, Spain, July 20th.

- Lana’s official music store can only be accessed by typing in a password. July 22nd.

- Lana's stage manager, Will Whitney, posts on a picture of BBC Radio 1's Live Lounge studio on his Instagram and comments "LDR *radio emoji* promo" with a link to BBC Radio 1. He commented shortly after that it will air sometime in September. Hours later, he confirms that two songs were performed: neither is from NFR and one which we already have heard. According to a fan, Lana said she’ll be back to the UK in February next year. July 23rd.

- Russian web stores write that the album release day is August 30th. July... 25th?

- Lana reveals on social media the name of two songs, fuck it I love you and the greatest and that two videos were shot for them. Bodybuilder Brad Swanick is seen posing with Lana in the two pictures she shared from the video shooting, and Rich Lee is the director. July 26th.

- (A screenshot of an old Instagram conversation with Lana in private messages is revealed where Lana writes that three “longform” videos were filmed by Chuck, and that Rich Lee will direct two videos in December 2018. July 27th.)

- Tweets two poems (or one poem and a quote?). July 27th.

- URL link to stream the album is up (https://lana.lnk.to/NFR). July 29th.

- Two French and a Chinese web store says that the album release date is August 30th. July 29th.

- Fan-titled In Your Car and Stronger/Be Stronger (snippet from April 3) Cinnamon are recognized as Love Song, California and Cinnamon Girl respectively by Shazam. July 30th.

- Lana finally reveals the cover art, track list and release date for Norman Fucking Rockwell!: August 30th. Pre-order on August 1st. The official website is updated with a new layout. July 31st.

August 2019

- Australian webshop JB Hi-Fi takes orders for blue vinyls of NFR. Pre-order page on Lana’s web shops open (with initial mental breakdown of confusion when the European store only had 12 tracks, missing Bartender and California, instead of all 14 songs). Second mental breakdown when US and EU tour dates are announced. Third mental breakdown when the album trailer is revealed. August 1st.

- PPL shows that the playtime for hope... is 35 seconds longer on the album than the previous released version. Lana's official German webshop and a local German record store call the track hope... (Entended Version), making fans suspect that the album version will have one additional verse or chorus. August 2nd or 3rd.

- LanaBoards user @@Eclipse tweets that Lana’s cover of Season of the Witch for the horror movie Scary stories to tell in the dark by Guillermo Del Toro will be released August 9th. The song is 4 minutes and 7 seconds long and was originally by Donovan. August 4th.

- (Lana shares a new song on her Instagram TV which she quickly made in one day together with Jack Antonoff, called Looking for America. She writes that she was emotionally affected by the recent mass shootings and wanted to write a song, despite that she’s “not a politician and don’t I don’t try to be so excuse me for having an opinion”. August 5th.)

- A picture of a paper of Lana looking for people to be in an upcoming music video leaks. The video needs one headmaster and young people to act students. The description says the video will be inspired by Grease and have a 50’s theme. Recording starts 8th and 11th of August (I think?). August 5th.

- Snippets from NFR leak. August 6th.

- Lana follows the official Instagram account for Disney's Malecifent 2. Speculations that she might have recorded another soundtrack start again. August 7th.

- Season of the Witch and Looking For America get released. August 9th.

- Lana follows Pitchfork reporter Meaghan Garvey on Instagram, who had previously tweeted that she thinks that Venice Bitch is perfect and a reply, “don’t worry i’ve got something coming soon on her...”. It’s possible that Pitchfork has interviewed Lana for an article coming out in the future. August 9th.

- Lana’s officiall merch store is locked. August 11th?

- Lana is seen in the studio with rapper Kevin Abstract. Later the same day, she posts a new poem on her Instagram. August 13th.

- Rumors that two new music videos will be released on August 16-17th emerge. August 13th.

- The Greatest got leaked by Google Play. Fuck It, I love You leaks too for a few minutes by being uploaded/released on Lana’s official YouTube account. August 15th.

- The album leaks when someone records the audio from their cassette on their phone and uploads on the internet. August 17th.

- Lana announces the double MV release to be on August 22. Fuck It I Love You leaks? August 20th.

- August 22nd:

-- BBC Radio 1 premiere of The Greatest and Fuck It I Love You and Billboard interview.

-- Billboard publishes an interview.

“Every time my managers write me, ‘Album art?,’ I’m just like, send!” she cackles, pantomiming taking a selfie. “And they just send the middle-finger emoji back to me.”

That has crept into her music, too. Del Rey says she hadn’t realized until recently how isolating her creative process had been for so long. These days, studio sessions feel more like cozy jam sessions, according to Laura Sisk, the Grammy-winning engineer who worked closely on the record with Del Rey and Antonoff. “Something I love about Norman is how much of the energy of the room we’re able to record,” says Sisk. “We often don’t use a vocal booth, so we’re sitting in a room together recording, usually right after the song was written and the feeling is still heavy in the room.”

Her newest songs are some of her most personal, particularly the album closer, “hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have -- but i have it” (a title only Del Rey could pull off). It also hovers anxiously on the margins of the #MeToo movement, though never in such broad strokes. “It was staggered with references from living in Hollywood and seeing so many things that didn’t look right to me, things that I never thought I’d have permission to talk about, because everyone knew and no one ever said anything,” she says in a tangle of sentences as knotty as the lyrics themselves. “The culture only changed in the last two years as to whether people would believe you. And I’ve been in this business now for 15 years! “So I was writing a song to myself.” She exhales deeply, sinking back into the sofa. “Hope truly is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have, because I know so much.” Del Rey pauses. “But I have it.”

Even the cover of Norman Fucking Rockwell, Del Rey says, was designed to cultivate a sense of community. For the first time in her discography, she’s not pictured by herself. She’s on a boat at sea, one arm wrapped around actor Duke Nicholson (a family friend and grandson of Jack), the other reaching out to pull the viewer aboard. As she explains the idea, Del Rey rifles through her sizable mental rolodex of quotations and offers this one from Humphrey Bogart by way of Ernest Hemingway: “ ‘The sea is the last free place on earth.’ ” A place, in other words, where you can finally just be you.

Del Rey says her album covers tend to be self-fulfilling prophecies -- whatever energy she puts out tends to shape the next chapter of her life. She’s eager to see how this one, with its open arms and sense of adventure, manifests itself. “We’re going somewhere,” she says with a mysterious grin. “I don’t know where we’re going. But wherever it is, my feet are going to be on the ground.”

- August 27th:

-- The album leaks.

-- BBC Radio 1 interview with Annie Mac, full interview:

About the significance of Norman Rockwell: "Well, when I was younger, he wasn't necessarily an artist that I personally thought all around, but when I was writing - I can't say the title track [on radio air] *laughs* - but when I was writing Venice... Biatch *laughs*, I had this line in the second verse that was about being in love and having someone painting me blue, and I just randomly threw out... paint me blue like Norman Rockwell. And it just kind of made me smile, 'that's cute, that would be an interesting title if you played with it'. And you know, obviously, I'm not a huge political writer, I haven't in the past had a lot of political songs but it also kind of reminded me that if I put the f-ing in between the 'Norman' and 'Rockwell' it would be like a little bit of a-, for me, it's a little bit of a commentary, like an exclamation point on the American dream. 'Where are we now in the American dream?' Like, "Well, Norman f-ing Rockwell!" This is where we've come! We're kind of in a state of exclamation and... culturally everything is super different, I feel like today, than it was ten years ago. It's a lot more fiery and fun, and there's a lot more different personalities. So yeah, it's definitely a more interesting time, called for an interesting title. *giggles*"

- August 28th and 29th: a shitload of radio interviews and an interview with NY Times. So many it's hard to keep up with, some with similar questions and answers; lurk the forum threads if you wanna go back to them and check, I'm too lazy to summarize them lol.

- Video out for Doin’ Time. August 29th.

- Album day!!! August 30th.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png