Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

good morning here's my ranking 

1. california

2. TNBAR

3. Cinnamon Girl

4. Bartender

6. NFR

7. Venice Bitch

8. HIAB

9. HTD

10. MAC

11. FIILY

12. The Greatest

13. Love Song

14. HIADT

Kind of random but what's up with that random photo of Chuck in the CD booklet?...

That's chuck? I thouht it was Chase.

good morning here's my ranking

1. california

2. TNBAR

3. Cinnamon Girl

4. Bartender

6. NFR

7. Venice Bitch

8. HIAB

9. HTD

10. MAC

11. FIILY

12. The Greatest

13. Love Song

14. HIADT

Not you having her worst song as second best.

Mfhp.gif

I went to target first thing this morning to get the cd with the poster and they didn’t have it. So sad. They ordered it for me and it will be delivered in a week or so... I have bought literally 5 physical copies of NFR and I don’t have any of them yet lol. The album is sooooooooo good.

there’s nothing wrong with the mixing, half of you guys can’t even mix or produce music lmao. it’s never going to be perfect but i mean it’s auite consistently fine across the board.

I'm a singer-songwriter and producer for a living. There's a lot of technical issues with the mixing + the master is weak for some songs. But if you wanna deny it idc, whatever helps you cope lol. I love the record by the way, but I'm not deaf.

Oh No. Not again (though I am sure many of us suspected this had to be true). Will 13 months turn into 18? Will we have a thread with 5,000 pages? No word on the producer though.

And the Alice project in between.

What Alice project?

I'm a singer-songwriter and producer for a living. There's a lot of technical issues with the mixing + the master is weak for some songs. But if you wanna deny it idc, whatever helps you cope lol. I love the record by the way, but I'm not deaf.

As someone else wrote, perhaps the messy mixing was done on purpose? What songs do you hear it on? I hear it on CG—do you?

I think most of us are sort of cynical about all aspects of the production on her records after LFL, and I would personally extend that to parts of UV and HM. For me, Paradise has the best over all production.

My interpretation of it: Lana says that they were writing the next best American record because they were just that good. And I take the echoing backing vocals as a voice inside Lana's head that reminds her that they did it for fame. As someone else said, this album seems to be a juxtaposition of the cruel reality of the world and an idyllic relationship inside Lana's mind. TNBAR is one of the songs she idealises the relationship but deep down she knows it's not that good. The idealisation is saying they were writing because they were amazing, they were matching like fire and gasoline, but the truth is, they did it for fame.

I think they left the "fame" backing vocals just for ambience. You can't even understand she's saying "Fame", we only know that because we've heard the leaked version. You only hear "aim, aim, aim....". If they used that delay effect on "good" it would just sound like "oo, oo, oo..." and it's not that cool. I assume that was intentional and I like it.

What Alice project?

Ella has started a thread about it—LDR is writing songs, which she described as ‘cute,’ for a film about the real lives of the people involved in the writing of the Alice in Wonderland books in the 19th century, which will also include, apparently, vignettes from the Alice stories themselves.

i was talking about this in the other thread but can we discuss the last minute of cinnamon???????? it creates such an atmosphere and it's kind of reminiscent of 4:48-5:22 of the TBD instrumental. i really wish jack had gone more in this direction because it was so much more interesting than his acoustic stuff.

As someone else wrote, perhaps the messy mixing was done on purpose? What songs do you hear it on? I hear it on CG—do you?

I think most of us are sort of cynical about all aspects of the production on her records after LFL, and I would personally extend that to parts of UV and HM. For me, Paradise has the best over all production.

The ones that bothered me the most were CG for sure, HIAB and HTD.

On the first verse of CG the main vocal is split in two takes but they were done in different mics. It doesn't sound continuous at all.

I don't know what you're talking about but I'd like to understand. Can you give some examples (with timestamps) please? And what makes you say they are issues and not creative/stylistic choices?