Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

This album. This ALBUM. 

:godlaugh: :smokes4: :thankyou: :rock:

Right?? It truly is an underrated masterpiece. I just shared my thoughts about the track in its lyrics thread.. truly, one of her best tracks to date. It's just so raw, vulnerable, and personable.. I can't fathom how more people don't love this track.

It's magic shows through in the winter months when it is snowing.

A MOOD

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

Right?? It truly is an underrated masterpiece. I just shared my thoughts about the track in its lyrics thread.. truly, one of her best tracks to date. It's just so raw, vulnerable, and personable.. I can't fathom how more people don't love this track.

Agree. It's my absolute favourite song of hers now.

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

My favorite lyrics from each song:

1. Norman Fucking Rockwell: "God damn man child you act like a kid even though you stand six foot two"

2. Mariner's Apartment Complex: "I'm the board the lightning the thunder Kind of girl who's gonna make you wonder Who you are and who you've been"

3. Venice Bitch:"You're in the yard I light the fire And as the summer fades away Nothing gold can stay You write I tour we make it work You're beautiful and I'm insane We're american made"

4. Fuck It I Love You:"I like to light up the stage with a song Do shit to keep me turned on But one day I woke up like Maybe I'll do it differently"

5. Doin' Time: "Evil we've come to tell you that she's evil most definetely Evil ornery scandalous and evil most definetely"

6. Love Song:"Oh be my once in a lifetime Lying on your chest in my party dress I'm a fucking mess but I Oh thanks for the high life Baby it's the best passed the test and yes Now I'm here with you and I"

7. Cinnamon Girl:"There's things I wanna say to you but I'll just let you live Like if you hold me without hurting me You'll be the first who ever did"

8. How To Disappear: "But I love that man like nobody can He moves mountains and pounds them to ground again"

9. California:"You're scared to win scared to lose I've heard the war was over if you really choose The one in and around you You hate the heat you got the blues Changing like the weather oh that's so like you The Santa Ana moves you"

10. The Next Best American Record:"My baby used to dance underneath my architecture He was '70s in spirit '90s in his frame of mind"
(I DID AN ART INSPIRED BY THESE LYRICS: https://www.instagram.com/p/B16rNdwgmva/)

11. The Greatest:"And I'm wasted Don't leave I just need a wake-up call I'm facing the greatest The greatest loss of them all The culture is lit and I had a ball I guess I'm signing off after all"

12. Bartender:"All the ladies of the canyon Wearing white for their tea parties Playing games of levitation Meditating in the garden"

13. Happiness Is A Butterfly:"Happiness is a butterfly We should catch it while dancing I lose myself in the music baby Every day is a lullaby Try to catch it like lightning I sing it into my music I'm crazy"

14. Hope: "There's a new revolution a loud evolution that I saw Born of confusion and quiet collusion of which mostly I've known A modern day woman with a weak constitution 'cause I've got Monsters still under my bed that I could never fight off A gatekeeper carelessly dropping the keys on my nights off"

p7rOzu0.gif

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

NFR now has a score of 88 on Metacritic based on 18 critics and I'm almost crying, Lana deserves it so much

Still have to add 75 score. But maybe it won't fall. And of course I think there's gonna be some more reviews so they better come through and give her some 90s.

Edit: they added it. Its 87 now again.

giphy.gif

Interesting to see –– but I guess not surprising –– the almost universal love-fest for Rockwell on this board. Several listens in and I'm afraid to say this is a big drop in quality from the sublime Lust for Life.  :(

Interesting to see –– but I guess not surprising –– the almost universal love-fest for Rockwell on this board. Several listens in and I'm afraid to say this is a big drop in quality from the sublime Lust for Life.  :(

prepare to be attacked 

very inch resting indeed

TjRQ.gifLczfoG7.gifTjRQ.gif

:thumb3:

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

California has the weakest chorus on the album in my opinion. I’m surprised it’s the fan favorite.

I think the chorus is brilliant. The verses and pre-chorus build to something more emotional and dramatic so we're expecting her to keep going in that direction, but instead she slides back into something very casual on the surface, but also desperate in nature which makes the song a lot more heartbreaking for me. She really, really wants this guy to come back to California, but she doesn't want to know him how badly she misses him or how much guilt and regret she feels from their relationship, and it really doesn't feel like he's ever coming back.

I think the chorus is brilliant. The verses and pre-chorus build to something more emotional and dramatic so we're expecting her to keep going in that direction, but instead she slides back into something very casual on the surface, but also desperate in nature which makes the song a lot more heartbreaking for me. She really, really wants this guy to come back to California, but she doesn't want to know him how badly she misses him or how much guilt and regret she feels from their relationship, and it really doesn't feel like he's ever coming back.

See & that’s what I didn’t like about it; the build up of the pre-chorus is so beautiful that when the chorus hits, it feels so flat to me. It wasn’t the dramatic payoff I wanted or expected from the song, just totally disappointed me with the OOOHHHHH ILL PICK YOU UPPP & I personally don’t think her vocals in the chorus are all that flattering. The way she sings “just hit me up” also doesn’t sound very good in my opinion.

14417469274.gif

"boring" like define boring

For me rap is boring but it's totally subjective, what does boring even mean, some people enjoy listening to it and it's not boring to them.. Boring it's not a review it's not an argument

...just you and me feeling the heat even when the sun goes down...