Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

My brother said he’d listen to NFR! since it got such a high score on metacritic! :poordat: I’ve caught him playing Million Dollar Man before so I hope he’ll like the album too!

Update: He said he liked Venice Biiiiitch! :hooker:

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I disagree. God Only Knows has a completely different sound - it is far more upbeat and surfy. There is literally no similarity between the two songs at all, other than the fact that they both have bells. Maybe God Only Knows is what they were going for, but if so, it didn't work.

Honestly, if you're gonna say that it sounds like God Only Knows then it's also fair to say that it sounds like Jingle Bells, because it's about as similar to the former as it is to the latter.

Didn't say they had the same sound, but that doesn't prevent the use of sleigh bells from being (as I said) a nod to the Beach Boys who used them in multiple songs including Dance, Dance, Dance, I Can Hear Music and God Only Knows. 

578c68b668f2f515fc750b6860a1213b--torch- Ever since my baby went away... its been the blackest day..... its been the blackest day

not gonna lie, i expected half the album to age with time

it just got better  :cumming:

Agreed! I haven't listened for a few days cause so much new music came out over the last few days but I'm currently relistening and WOW I'm FLOORED again it's like listening for the first time lmao

FzytWEW.png

I'm not surprised LDR was angry about the Ann Powers review on NPR.

It's fine for Powers to intellectualize and analyze as she did in the review and to publish her thoughts--those are her interpretations, perceptions and standards--but to hold LDR, or any other artist, to those standards, or particular vision, when those interpretations are that complex and that individualized is absurd.

LDR is not Ann Powers, just as Powers is not LDR and does not have LDR's often-extraordinary music talent. LDR is a pop star who is also branching out into other kinds of writing, like poetry, and artist. LDR's talent would probably come to a screeching halt if she tried to 'intellectualize' her every creative impulse to attempt to meet some sort of impossibly high standard that in fact has nothing to do with her life or even with music ` that in fact, belongs to someone else. A massive case of writer's block would result, even if only temporary. 

I say, 'Art For Art's Sake,' first and always, and then yes, let the artist take responsibility for whatever she or he creates, as art that is made public in any way does not exist in a vacuum. 

I think of really creative artists like Blondie and Kate Bush, who have written songs about virtually everything--adult/child sexual attraction (Bush, 'The Infant Kiss'), alien abduction (Blondie, 'Shayla'), sister-brother incest and suicide (Bush, 'The Kick Inside'), the Israeli-Palestinian conflict (Blondie, 'War Child'), death pacts between young lovers (Blondie, 'Suzy & Jeffrey'), bank robberies (Blondie, 'The Hardest Part,' Bush, 'There Goes A Tenner'), sound weapons created by the government used against the public (Bush, 'Experiment IV'), Wilhelm Reich (Bush, 'Cloudbusting'), the end of the world by meteor and by nuclear war (Bush, 'Hello Earth' and 'Breathing'), seductive computer programs that paralyze the user (Bush, 'Deeper Understanding'), sex for sale (Blondie, 'Call Me'), blue collar life (Blondie, 'Union City Blues'), etc.--that have had absolute creative freedom to write about whatever interests them at the moment or strikes their fancy. The burden of history should not rest on their shoulders every time they pick up their pen or sit at their keyboard. 

Elisabeth Grant, over the course of her musical career, including before she became LDR, has written about a great number of things, and I have been saddened to see the scope of her writing getting narrower with time and with what seems like necessary seriousness ~ thus I am happy with the ending of 'The Greatest,' which suggests she and others are watching the end of Earth from another planet. Serious yes, but visionary and literally other-worldly. 

Maybe it's just me but I am only able to listen to Lana's album since it leaked. I only listened to Melanie's album once and didn't watch the film. Also I did not listen to Taylor's new album more than once. Also many singles dropped...I am like: WTF I don't wanna lose time with basic music- want to listen to Norman FUCKING Rockwell.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-3260-1375807715-35.

Maybe it's just me but I am only able to listen to Lana's album since it leaked. I only listened to Melanie's album once and didn't watch the film. Also I did not listen to Taylor's new album more than once. Also many singles dropped...I am like: WTF I don't wanna lose time with basic music- want to listen to Norman FUCKING Rockwell.

omg you are the coolest one. like, wow what a cool human being. trash everything except lana! yes. that's definitely what we should do.

i think nfr is starting to age for me   :ohno:  it doesnt feel THAT great anymore, but i guess its natural to not be so hyped about an album after the release.

and then they switch like *******

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating.