Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Do any of you feel like Cherry and Cinnamon Girl are similiar songs?

Β 

not remotelyΒ 

... I don’t think you can compare Venice to Bohemian Rhapsody. Venice is a great track with dreamy, psychedelic vibes but Bohemian is just something else, mixing several styles (opera, rock, ballad) just like that... I don’t think anyone else could dream that up.

They’re both great tracks but just so different, I wouldn’t compare them to each other.

i dont want to be ignorant but i never got the hype for bohemian or any queen song... though if they're so legendary there must be a reason, so my opinion is invalid!

i dont want to be ignorant but i never got the hype for bohemian or any queen song... though if they're so legendary there must be a reason, so my opinion is invalid!

Well, I suppose the hype for it was on its peak back in like β€˜75 and none of us were born then, but, yeah, it’s a brilliant song. :hooker: Just teasing, you don’t have to like it. :kiss:

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Well, I suppose the hype for it was on its peak back in like β€˜75 and none of us were born then, but, yeah, it’s a brilliant song. :hooker: Just teasing, you don’t have to like it. :kiss:

Β 

oh yes i mean, it's definitely brilliant and by no means a bad song. it wouldn't be as popular if it wasn't. it's just not for me! i guess the most similar thing to queen i actually like is The Wall by Pink Floyd, which is my favorite album ever

you mean to play it louder because apparently when they recorded the album they had no idea what a baseline was :facepalm:

Β 

Edit: In case my comment didn't make sense. I meant to say that while the album is great, to me personally, it just lacks bass and percussions. Like the production and mixing of the album feels somewhat flat and bland to me.

im listening to the album on a Sony srs speaker and it literally sounds amazing and so full. what lana tried to convey with this album really comes out on a speaker

bol.com its dutch

shipping is almost as ridiculous as the UO one :rip:

i cant believe i got the same vinyl twice with expensive ass shipping for both, thinking theyre different

Β Β 

it's legit but it's just the uo one so it's kinda scam, look at my reply up here

( bol.com)

Thank you!

I pretend I’m not hurt and go about the world like I’m having fun

hi this might be random, but i was able to write a review on NFR! for my college's newspaper. it's short and rushed and i missed a lot of points cuz the deadline was quick, but i figured some of you might want to read it. also, i obviously had to sensor some songs like FIILY and VB. anyway, happy reading!Β 

Β 

Β 

The alternative singer and songwriter, Lana Del Rey, released her sixth studio
album β€œNorman Rockwell!” or β€œNFR!” on August 30. NFR! has already gotten
high-praise from music critics and websites. It is her highest-rated album on
Metacritic with a total score of 87.

Del Rey starts the record off strong with an alluring, yet slightly vulgar song,
which is also the title track. The beginning starts off with gorgeous instrumentals
that sound straight out of a Disney film.

The next two tracks, β€œMariner’s Apartment Complex” and β€œVenice”, were released
in September of 2018. Though, introduced a year ago, the songs have not seemed
to age. β€œVenice” one of Del Rey’s most unique songs to date being almost ten minutes
in length and full of psychedelic instrumentals.

β€œI love you” is the fourth song on the record which has an upbeat, surf-guitar
vibe to it. Even though she frequently refers to mortality in the song, her
dreamy vocals seem to mask the dark undertones.

Afterwards, comes Del Rey’s cover of β€œDoin’ Time” from the California-based
band, Sublime. Although not as classic as the original, she does put her own
spin on the summertime song. If still alive today, Bradley Nowell would definitely
support her take on the track.

The sixth track of NFR! is called β€œLove Song” which, fittingly titled, is an ode to
her partner. It is a simple and somber track for Del Rey, yet hauntingly beautiful.
One of the best lines from the songs states, β€œYou know that I’d just die to make
you proud.” It is a bit dark, but entirely relatable for anyone who is in or has
experienced a relationship.

β€œCinnamon Girl” comes next in the track-list and seems to be one of the most
popular songs on the album. The song is much more upbeat and seems like it
could fit on her first record, β€œBorn to Die”.

Next, is β€œHow to Disappear” which is probably my least favorite due to some of
the instrumentation. That being said, I still love and appreciate the song for what
it is, especially lyrically.

Out of all the songs on NFR!, β€œCalifornia”, has taken the number one spot for me
personally. The verse starts out slow with just piano, but then the chorus explodes
with Del Rey’s impactful, monotone voice. Both lyrically and sonically, it is an
amazing song.

β€œThe Next Best American Record” comes after and is another song that begins
slow with just acoustic guitar, but then climaxes into a heavy chorus.

The eleventh song, β€œThe Greatest”, contains a dark theme about the current
world. Analyzing the lyrics makes it appear to be a track about the end of the
Earth. Del Rey even name-drops rapper Kayne West, describing him as β€œblonde
and gone”.

β€œBartender”, the third to last song on the album, is another favored track of mine.
It is a song that can potentially grow on its listener. The lyrical content reflects
Del Rey’s strong songwriting skills. In a previous interview, she describes β€œBartender”
as a weird track.

Once again, Del Rey combines gloomy lyrics with gorgeous vocals and instrumentation
in β€œHappiness is a Butterfly”. In the pre-chorus she sings, β€œIf he’s a serial killer than
what’s the worst that can happen to a girl who’s already hurt”. Though, she sings this
with such a sweet tone that the listener could almost look past the tragic context.

Finally, the record closes with β€œHope is a Dangerous Thing...”. It is Del Rey’s most stripped
down song in her discography. With only piano for instrumentation, she references
herself as a β€œ24/7 Sylvia Plath” and talks about having hope as a β€œwomen like her”.

Overall, in my opinion, this is Lana Del Rey’s most raw and real album so far. It displays
her best songwriting yet. β€œNorman Rockwell!” beats all her past records and has
been moved to my favorite record of hers.

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Β 

55-DE2-A0-B-B97-D-4347-B872-77-FA28787-E

miss born to lose

i just listened to the album (for the thousand time today) and hope hit me specially right now. i can't with this song.