Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

At the end of the day the record sounds like how Lana wanted it to sound. We've known since Ultraviolence that she has absolute creative control. Yes, Dan Auerbach pushed her, but at the end of the day its was her call, no one else's, and its hard to say how much head butting there even was. "There were moments when she was fighting me. I could sense that maybe she didn’t want to have anybody think she wasn’t in control" but he also said "Her demos were so good, her songs were so strong that I wanted to get my musicians in who I love and get my sound that I get here with her songs and that’s it. I didn’t want to mess it up." Its tiresome to go album cycle after cycle and hearing fans blame everyone around Lana for how her work comes out. "Chucks visuals suck," "Rick's production is bland," "Jack's production is messy" (and lol because occasionally you get "Born to Die was too polished" as well). Maybe Lana's work comes out exactly how she envisions it and you guys just don't like it? That is ok, but don't insult the people around her for it when they have track records with other people that prove they can produce good work. 

Very true. If you look at Chuck's work with other artists, it's a striking difference. Her stuff with Lana is bland and boring looking, but look at what she's done with other artists like Bjorn and Jesse Jo Stark and it's gorgeous. I can picture Lana being a control freak and not letting people do their work. I think that's why when it comes to pictures, she likes working with Chuck because Chuck doesn't fight back and lets Lana take over. Lana can't do that with Neil Krug or other professional photographers. The same can go with producers. The album is beautiful but bland sound-wise, just like her photos with her sister. 

How To Disappear was a choice.

The way I see it,we have 2 versions of the song now. One is very melancholic and the other is very cheeky and introspective. The album version gives it a very vintage feel,like shes reflecting back on all the years behind her and the ones to come.

Tomorrow Never Came, Heroin, Get Free. 

Those three songs redeem that entire sucky album

giphy.gif

Get Free? You mean the Radiohead derivative?

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

Get Free? You mean the Radiohead derivative?

First of all: how dare you?

Second of all, they had already ripped off this song from The Air That I Breathe and had to pay copyrights to The Hollies. So to accuse Lana of ripping them off was a bit of a stretch, and I genuinely believe that the similarities in the chord progression was a coincidence on her part. 

Third of all, it's literally the best song on that godawful record.

tenor.gif

do yall think that DCMA will boost NFR's sales this week? Like it may go up 1 or 2 spots on BB 200?

Yes. The album is predicted to stay in top 10 for its 3rd week (maybe it's because people enjoying it) - LFL was out after 1st. 

giphy.gif

Okay but where is that earth shattering bass from the snippets of Cinnamon she posted in the past.

I would like to see (hear) it.gif

She was listening to the song in her car and the bass always sounds stronger in a car

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

is HIAB about a grindr hookup?

"dropped a pin to my parking spot" ????

"if he's a serial killer then whats the worst" ???

OMGOMGOMG

I can totally envision this.... "Don't be a jerk don't call me a taxi crying in the backseat"   Totally the words to either a bad hookup/one night stand OR her getting drunk and wild and the guy having enough of the nonsense and calling a taxi to take her back home.

Or maybe I am just placing myself into the song to much :(

is HIAB about a grindr hookup?

"dropped a pin to my parking spot" ????

"if he's a serial killer then whats the worst" ???

Eye- :rip:

I wonder how long until the album instrumentals begin to leak.

Although what I really wish for is the instrumental of AKA Yayo to surface. It is so dreamy.

THIS. Also I wanna jam to the Jump instrumental tee bee aych

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

Re: Bird World I’m still 80% sure it was Burned/Burnt World; it just makes more sense

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif