Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

If your copy of NFR sounds “tinny”, try the digital version on good headphones or get the standard black vinyl. They sound full and dynamic. But even the UO vinyl of NFR isn’t half as tinny as the UO vinyl of HM. I can’t vouch for the CD, but if it sounds that tinny, try a different format. You don’t have to give up, there’s a version for everyone. The standard black vinyl sounds very dynamic and organic and if you close your eyes, it will feel like Lana’s right in the room with you. I recommend this format if you want a full and raw sound.

But then again if you feel like the production on your format feels unfinished and choppy, then actually do try the UO vinyl or whatever other formats are compressed too. You can probably even do it yourself with a flac converter if the UO vinyl isn’t an option. Compressing it will make the sound less dynamic and you’ll lose the raw sounds in the process, so you’ll achieve the more slick and tin sound. I know we all have different tastes, so I wanted to cover both sides of the spectrum.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

This is a really interesting Interview. I don't know if this has been posted.

at 2:02 "cause we do a two hour soundcheck before each show"

Sorry but I have to laugh, this bitch barely stays on stage for an hour and fifteen minutes. Her fucking mind.

giphy.gif

literally why is it so hard for some of you to use the right threads  :deadbanana:

For reeeeeaaal. I'm about to go through this entire thread beginning to end and move all off-topic posts to other threads they should belong in. I just did this with the WHF thread and about moved 320 posts aka 16 pages worth of posts to the threads they should have been posted in.

Please be better about not going off topic, guys. If your post does not have to do with the NFR album, please post it in its proper topic. & If a fitting topic doesn't already exist, make a new one! x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

For reeeeeaaal. I'm about to go through this entire thread beginning to end and move all off-topic posts to other threads they should belong in. I just did this with the WHF thread and about moved 320 posts aka 16 pages worth of posts to the threads they should have been posted in.

Please be better about not going off topic, guys. If your post does not have to do with the NFR album, please post it in its proper topic. & If a fitting topic doesn't already exist, make a new one! x

nnn my laptop runs too slow to attempt that  :deadbanana:

For real though just think before you hit post "is this relevant to thread?" if it's not, take it to the correct thread. If you're wanting to continue an off topic conversation with someone @ them in the relevant thread and continue there. It's not fair to lurkers and less active members (the vast majority of the forum) who have to scroll through dozens of off topic pages when trying to find new info.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

remember when NFR was the most anticipated album of all of 2019 and when it came out it fizzled like a damp firework and all the critics who used to trash Lana threw her some accolades bc they felt bad ab it, like what they did to Fiona Apple except her writing is actually brilliant and her music has meaning.

i think my biggest wish for Norman Fucking Rockwell is that it included more references to teletubbies.

if you hold me without hurting me, youll be the first who ever did :hae: :quote:

I swear the production of NFR is so flawed that you can hear Lana's stomach digest matcha tea in HIAB at 2:24, her fart in HTD at 3:07 and Jack adjusting the dick in his pants while playing the guitar in TG at 3:51

You forgot Laura and Jack making out while Lana's singing Love song at 1:47 and Jack blowing his nose at 3:12 in The greatest. So many flaws, I can't believe it, oh ma gad

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

agree with most but LFL is clearly season 7 of teletubbies, not 5. S7 aired in 2016 in the wake of president trump's elect, but the episodes themselves focus on being carefree, having fun and holding out hope even in the face of fascist turmoil - episodes like "silly sausages" see children having fun in the park, "sing song" sees laa laa make up a pretty little song that she then shares with the other teletubbies, "ballet" features dipsy and the tiddlytubbies dancing all episode long. when the world was at war we kept dancing indeed. however, it was not a season that completely ignored the cultural climate surrounding it - much like LFL as an album, it had moments of reflection and personal introspection. take the episode "reflections", for example - the teletubbies notice their reflection in a puddle (a statement on our ever-shifting climates, when you consider that towards the end of the episode the sun comes back out, shining bright as if its a hot summer day) then as dipsy bends down to further inspect his reflection in a way he hasn't before, his hat falls off and gets wet, emphasising the idea that now our titular characters are beginning to understand these personal investigations into their mind, their mirrored images and their entire state of being not only have an existential and philosophical value, but a real world one, too. while dipsy is undoubtedly disappointed to have gotten his hat wet, it urges him to consider how he can apply these internal ideas into external life, because these personal reflections of ours not only exist in the real world but can impact it too. change is a powerful thing, people are powerful beings.

:lmao:

If your copy of NFR sounds “tinny”, try the digital version on good headphones or get the standard black vinyl. They sound full and dynamic. But even the UO vinyl of NFR isn’t half as tinny as the UO vinyl of HM. I can’t vouch for the CD, but if it sounds that tinny, try a different format. You don’t have to give up, there’s a version for everyone. The standard black vinyl sounds very dynamic and organic and if you close your eyes, it will feel like Lana’s right in the room with you. I recommend this format if you want a full and raw sound.

But then again if you feel like the production on your format feels unfinished and choppy, then actually do try the UO vinyl or whatever other formats are compressed too. You can probably even do it yourself with a flac converter if the UO vinyl isn’t an option. Compressing it will make the sound less dynamic and you’ll lose the raw sounds in the process, so you’ll achieve the more slick and tin sound. I know we all have different tastes, so I wanted to cover both sides of the spectrum.

The first time ever I listened to NFR was on FLAC files, can't get any "better" than that, and it sounded unfinished and tinny. :rip:

To each their own, but to me, NFR lacks depth, it sounds like I'm listening to Demos or like the unfinished version of an album. Some of fans here like the "organic"/unfinished approach on NFR. But personally, I don't. I don't mean to sound pretentious, but it sounds hella iffy to the audiophile that I am.

I swear the production of NFR is so flawed that you can hear Lana's stomach digest matcha tea in HIAB at 2:24, her fart in HTD at 3:07 and Jack adjusting the dick in his pants while playing the guitar in TG at 3:51

Stop it I'm screaming and Im at work #deadBanana

remember when NFR was the most anticipated album of all of 2019 and when it came out it fizzled like a damp firework and all the critics who used to trash Lana threw her some accolades bc they felt bad ab it, like what they did to Fiona Apple except her writing is actually brilliant and her music has meaning.

i think my biggest wish for Norman Fucking Rockwell is that it included more references to teletubbies.

if you hold me without hurting me, youll be the first who ever did :hae: :quote:

Agree, looking back now, I feel like Lust for Life never existed, like Love came on shuffle the other day and I was confused for a moment, then I remembered what song it was, this entire album fell into complete oblivion to me. I honestly expect NFR to follow this path too. Like it's been what two months since its release? The only song I actually listen to every other day is the title track, and sometimes once every blue moon I'll listen to The greatest, but that's about it. Such a forgettable record.

The accolades on NFR are the cherry on top to me, like imagine being this interesting and polarizing artist and for years you get little to no media coverage, but when you do it's because you said something "controversial" or that people are out to bash your newly released album (because yOu ArE nOt AuThEnTiC !!1!). Now all of a sudden you get this weird round of applause from the very same people that "hated" you all along, basically praising you for releasing what is your most subdued and least "controversial" album thus far.

NFR is the joke that keeps on giving for me.  :thumb3: