Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Oh good for Lana seriously. Although, maybe in the eyes of critics NFR will have bigger shoes to fill, but comparatively to her first three records and fan appreciation/perception, this could easily be surpassed.

Β 

Can't wait for what she brings next!Β  :flutter:

I'm not going to sugar coat it. Writing better/more epic album opener/title track than Norman Fucking Rockwell and better closer than Hope Is A Dangerous Thing For A Woman Like Me To Have-But I Have is going to be really hard and almost impossible. But I definitely think she can make a better album as a whole package if she further improves her songwriting and steps even more out of her comfort zone. It's a good thing that this acclaim is putting pressure on her because who doesn't love a good challenge?Β 

Β 

tenor.gif

I'm not going to sugar coat it. Writing better/more epic album opener/title track than Temptation Waits and better closer than You Look So Fine is going to be really hard and almost impossible. But I definitely think she can make a better album as a whole package if she further improves her songwriting and steps even more out of her comfort zone. It's a good thing that this acclaim is putting pressure on her because who doesn't love a good challenge?Β 

tea beautifulgarbage was really a good shift from version 2.0

CAUSE BACK IN SCHOOL

WE ARE THE LEADERS OF IT ALL

I feel like Lana going out of her comfort zone would be working with totally different producers, ditching Rick Nowels, Kieron Menzies (wherever he is) and of course: Jack.

Β 

Improving her songwriting? I mean I feel like Honeymoon was her peak as far as great lyrics go. Lust or Life did feel like somewhat of a regression in that regards, with a bunch of futile and juvenile lyrics (though there were some very introspective songs: Get Free & Heroin). NFR while there were great lyrical moments (Hope is probably one of her best, if not her best song as far lyrical structure and content are concerned), there are also very subpar lyrics, that while some fans live for them, they are still that: subpar. Although it was overall an improvement from LFL, yet lightyears behind Honeymoon. But that's my two cent.

Β 

For her next record, Lana needs to work with someone completely different and create something unexpected. I pray Jesus everyday that Lana and Kevin Parker get in the studio together.Β  :legend:

Β 

While it's obviously going to be different, I feel like the spirit or vibe of the next record will be similar to NFR; as Jack so elegantly put it: this fucked up sorta folk album.

Β 

We'll see.

tea beautifulgarbage was really a good shift from version 2.0

Β 

i agree! leaning all the way in with shut your mouth as the opener? power move if ever i heard one

it's just the way i feel

I'm so scared of Lana repeating Norman's sound in the next album. She never did that, each album has its own and unique sound but I can't see Jack going that far away from Norman's production and style. I really hope she surprises us.

into your eyesΒ tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gifΒ my face remains

Also, don't stone me (again, again and again), but I hate when Lana talks about her next move this early. The roll out of her albums are always messy, unprepared and not thought out. I feel like she's already foreshadowing another beige record with what she wrote on Instagram. Like she's talking about her next move this early and her latest album was released less than four months ago. Sis, enjoy that praise while it lasts, work a little on your Grammy campaign (because it desperately needs a little kick) than go undercover and work on your music and don't (over)tease it every so often. That way you won't already feel like your album will be fall flat like you said so.

If Lana played you NFR without telling you who produced it, would you have ever guessed it was produced by Jack? I don't think so. Lana is the one who's in charge here. It's her vision.Β 

Β 

tenor.gif

I'm so scared of Lana repeating Norman's sound in the next album. She never did that, each album has its own and unique sound but I can't see Jack going that far away from Norman's production and style. I really hope she surprises us.

white hot forever is going to be a kid a/amnesiac cover album

CAUSE BACK IN SCHOOL

WE ARE THE LEADERS OF IT ALL

If Lana played you NFR without telling you who produced it, would you have ever guessed it was produced by Jack? I don't think so. Lana is the one who's in charge here. It's her vision.Β 

Β 

tenor.gif

Β 

I don't know... from the artists I've seen working with Jack I think St. Vincent was the one who had the most control and took him far away from his usual sound. Of course Masseduction has songs like Happy Birthday Johnny and New York that scream Jack but others like Masseduction and Smoking Section doesn't sound like his work. But when it comes to Lorde, Taylor and Lana I can pinpoint certain similarities about the songs he produced for them, especially when it comes to piano ballads. Yeah, each of them has their "signature" but Jack's style is very apparent.

Β 

(p.s. who's the guy from the gif? I feel sorry for him because I already hate him from how much you spammed this goddamn gif in the last four months lmao)

white hot forever is going to be a kid a/amnesiac cover album

Β 

I wish I knew what this means but I have zero knowledge when it comes to RadioheadΒ  :toofunny:

If Lana played you NFR without telling you who produced it, would you have ever guessed it was produced by Jack? I don't think so. Lana is the one who's in charge here. It's her vision.

Β 

tenor.gif

You're right about that though. From what I've listened NFR is different than what he has also produced in the past. But, to the risk of annoying some of y'all again (not sorry about that), the production and mastering was still not it. Am I blaming Jack for the shortcomings of this album? Absolutely. But Lana was in charge of all of that for sure as well. She's as equally responsible if not more. Hence me saying she needs to ditch all previous collaborators and find someone brand new, someone more challenging than a Yes man.

Β 

tenor.gif

Also, don't stone me (again, again and again), but I hate when Lana talks about her next move this early. The roll out of her albums are always messy, unprepared and not thought out. I feel like she's already foreshadowing another beige record with what she wrote on Instagram. Like she's talking about her next move this early and her latest album was released less than four months ago. Sis, enjoy that praise while it lasts, work a little on your Grammy campaign (because it desperately needs a little kick) than go undercover and work on your music and don't (over)tease it every so often. That way you won't already feel like your album will be fall flat like you said so.

Β 

while a see your anxieties about a record coming soon, we must remind ourselves that she teased NFR waaaay back in like August/September when MaC/Venice Bitch was released and it took a year later to come out so I mean it could be another year or so till the next album. I hope she does not over tease the songs tho like she did with NFR!

Is she actually working with Jack again? It wasnt ever confirmed was it? Anyway, there's no way in hell i'm listening to any teasers or snippets this time around. I'll only be listening to the singles. Lana will continue to screw up her album rollouts but at the end of the day, its down to you to take control of it. Its only bad if you go along with her ways

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β 7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Β 

What Jack says at around 1:27 and continues till the end of the video

Β 

Β 

I couldn't disagree more. I don't wanna imagine. I want to hear it.

Born to die gave us everything our brains could possibly handle. That's why it did so well for so many years and still is.

Does anyone else have a major problem with him thinking this is what makes the album great?

Β 

I can't :defeated:

What Jack says at around 1:27 and continues till the end of the video

Β 

Β 

I couldn't disagree more. I don't wanna imagine. I want to hear it.

Born to die gave us everything our brains could possibly handle. That's why it did so well for so many years and still is.

Does anyone else have a major problem with him thinking this is what makes the album great?

Β 

I can't :defeated:

Β 

I mean props to him for going in a totally different way than Lana's previous producers/collaborators, and bringing this new horizon of songs. But like I said a million times before I just do not like his style of production on this record. It lacks the level of intricacy and the cinematic, mysterious and enchanting vibe the past albums had.

Β 

The other albums you can dig into them and be amazed after listening to them for a thousand times. NFR is great, but it's very much surface level to me.Β 

It lacks the level of intricacy and the cinematic, mysterious and enchanting vibe the past albums had.

Β 

The other albums you can dig into them and be amazed after listening to them for a thousand times. NFR is great, but it's very much surface level to me.Β 

Β 

Oh wow thats what I've been feeling about this album but couldn't put into words, thanks.

Β 

It definitely lacks the cinematic/mysterious vibes the other albums had, and it's funny how Jack said his intention was to leave some space for imagination when, for me, this is her most straight forward album. As you said, it's pretty straight forward so it doesn't leave much for you to figure out or a situation to create on your own mind.

Β 

But on the other hand I like this album because it doesn't require much thinking, if that makes sense? Lana herself said this is a mood album and I love to listen to it while doing nothing, it's a great album to listen while lying in bed staring at the ceiling lmaoΒ