Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

"Unamused but never fully disengaged, Lana Del Rey stormed into the middle of 2019 with a softly raging album that took the world by surprise. While plenty of fans have insisted since “Video Games” that Lana had a masterpiece in her, subsequent releases have been good, and even great, but never had the year-defining force that Norman F*cking Rockwell does. A self-assured, introverted beach philosopher with a heart of gold, and the go-to crooner for soundtracking marquee movies, Lana has so often been fascinated by singing stories of the past. On Rockwell though, she belts and sighs about the state of union, Kanye West, and the ever-present ache of falling for a man child. While we all live in a world ruled by those, Lana’s sharp observations offer a welcome balm. “F*ck It, I Love You” is the most worthy antidote for despair, and happiness has delicate wings, but no matter how strange and slippery hope is, with Lana, we have it."

one of my favorite year-end reviews (no. 1 spot of course) i 100% agree with the bold part.

"Unamused but never fully disengaged, Lana Del Rey stormed into the middle of 2019 with a softly raging album that took the world by surprise. While plenty of fans have insisted since “Video Games” that Lana had a masterpiece in her, subsequent releases have been good, and even great, but never had the year-defining force that [/size]Norman F*cking Rockwell does. A self-assured, introverted beach philosopher with a heart of gold, and the go-to crooner for [/size]soundtracking marquee movies, Lana has so often been fascinated by singing stories of the past. On [/size]Rockwell though, she belts and sighs about the state of union, Kanye West, and the ever-present ache of falling for a man child. While we all live in a world ruled by those, Lana’s sharp observations offer a welcome balm. “F*ck It, I Love You” is the most worthy antidote for despair, and happiness has delicate wings, but no matter how strange and slippery hope is, with Lana, we have it."[/size]

one of my favorite year-end reviews (no. 1 spot of course) i 100% agree with the bold part.[/size]

Omg, this is awesome, but you’re about to trigger the same members that post how much they hate NFR and Jack lol.

Inb4 100+ pages filled with the same members and the same type of posts and think pieces about what’s wrong with NFR and Lana.

Wheww imagine If sis wins AOTY, I can already imagine the meltdowns lol.

Like I don’t understand why some people just can’t move on and go to the LDR7 pre-release thread or any other thread. I honestly think it’s because this thread is more active and they fear they won’t get their post seen or any attention lol. Oh well.

at least we're not ugly, you can't relate xx

Interesting that you guys think so...I mean you‘re not less ugly at all, you lil victims.

Hope Siri reminds you NFR haters to take your meds and to log out forever!

Merry Christmas!

mod note: user was warned for this post

Edited by admin
please do not joke about mental illness

I can't believe I missed out writing in french. SACRED BLUE! 

TIENS~! California is the MVP for the album. 

Like I don’t understand why some people just can’t move on and go to the LDR7 pre-release thread or any other thread. I honestly think it’s because this thread is more active and they fear they won’t get their post seen or any attention lol. Oh well.

But all the conversation in this thread is about NFR, either the acclaim, the production or our opinions! I will talk about Jack's sloppy production on the new album when the time comes!  :flutter:  

3lfQEhw.png

Interesting that you guys think so...I mean you‘re not less ugly at all, you lil victims.

Hope Siri reminds you NFR haters to take your meds and to log out forever!

Merry Christmas!

i-dont-know-what-the-hell-she-saying-at-

It's only my dark city, only my new man...

Another thing, I don’t understand why those same weirdos think it’s ok to keep posting the same negative things and rage as soon as someone comes in and calls them out, but god forbid anyone or @@Jared for example comes in here and posts something positive about Jack, Lana, the album or the era as a whole, they instantly attack that person or post paragraphs about why that person is wrong lol. And if you do contradict them they instantly say “omg are you Jack!!? Omg are you on jacks payroll!! You’re wrong!! I can’t connect to NFR, so you have to hate the album too! Lana peaked in 2012, Lana peaked in 2014, Lana peaked in 2016!!” Etc etc. lol, at this point issa joke already, hang it up flat-screen lol.

I also thought it was funny that before NFR was released or nominated for AOTY, some people hated Billie and now they suddenly love her?? Lol.. like I think it was yesterday, that I saw someone say “oMg iMaGiNe BiEnG JeAlOuS oR ThReAtEnEd bY a TaLenTeD 18 yEaR oLd” when before y’all would say she sucked or was fake depressed/emo. BilLiE eYeLaShEd sUcKzZzZ!!!111

Anyway, Doin Time fits so perfectly on the album! Imo lol. It’s such an awesome song lol. I hate the YouTube comments lol. They’re all filled with the same damn annoying comments “omgahh!!1 people really think she made this song!! If people think this is her original song they’re sooooo dumb!!11” actually, you know what? The comment section on the video for Doin Time is very similar to some of the same weirdos on here lol, who would have thought, huh. Lol.

Oh and today I was watching the 3 part video on my big screen T.V with the surround system, and idk why but Bartender finally hit me today... I- I think I finally grew to love it. Wow... and I’d like to add that the Bartender and the video for it imo go together so well. And it was actually very enjoyable imo. Don’t @ me and debate your grandmother lol. The scene with Lana and her friends sitting on the rocks posing is so iconic.

Omg, this is awesome, but you’re about to trigger the same members that post how much they hate NFR and Jack lol.

Inb4 100+ pages filled with the same members and the same type of posts and think pieces about what’s wrong with NFR and Lana.

Yeah like, people have been stanning for a decade and now that shes on her way to become a legend, is getting universal acclaim and has found a musical soulmate, her OWN FANS are being negative af... if you dont like the album it is more than okay to post why you feel its not good, but being mad at lana, jack, the album and the critics all at the same time is just :rip:

Girl wyt we'll be happy for her  :creep:  at the end of the day I defend NFR against people that hate it because they hate lana. I only feel comfy actually analyzing it and giving my actual opinion to people that don't have vitriolic hate for her lmao. Anyway, it's not as though she's up against much lmao. You're projecting again.

Also I hope that y'all were full of nothing but praise on the LFL page. 

Also kind of curious why a mod is alright with people slinging BPD as an insult when someone was warned for calling someone a b-tch on another thread? I sure hope it's not because he agrees with their NFR opinion.

locals only

I can't believe I missed out writing in french. SACRED BLUE!

TIENS~! California is the MVP for the album.

But all the conversation in this thread is about NFR, either the acclaim, the production or our opinions! I will talk about Jack's sloppy production on the new album when the time comes! :flutter:

Lol, but the point is that people keep beating the same dead negative horse. Lol. Like many other people have said, state your negative opinion it’s fine, but to keep doing it over and over to the point where it’s the same negative opinion on every page, it gets annoying to see. When many people just want to come here and have a good conversation about the album/era and everything that’s going on and etc.

Wait, didn’t you hear? “Jackoff” is no longer producing any future LDR albums, Lana came on here and read all the negative posts about NFR and Jack therefore canceling jack and any future collaborations. The ONFRH rejoice!

Yeah like, people have been stanning for a decade and now that shes on her way to become a legend, is getting universal acclaim and has found a musical soulmate, her OWN FANS are being negative af... if you dont like the album it is more than okay to post why you feel its not good, but being mad at lana, jack, the album and the critics all at the same time is just :rip:

Yea, that has kind of left me a bit confused, lol. I think it’s because they’re scared that their little secret gem of an artist is finally getting the praise she so rightfully deserves lol. I mean, imagine being mad at an artist that you love is getting acclaim all over the place, just because she released an album that YOU PERSONALLY don’t like. I mean damn, if I acted that way towards any other of my favorite artist like Bone Thugs-n-Harmony or Nicki Minaj for example... I’d probably stop stanning them and stop checking for their music, because lord knows that they’ve released some bad stuff. But I state my opinion maybe a handful of times and then keep it moving and then wait for their next release to see what happens. I mean, they even think these “professional music critics are wrong... like wtf. Lol.

Also - NFR is Album of the Year for The Music (Australian street-press publication)!

https://themusic.com.au/news/the-music-writers-poll-2019-album-of-the-year-lauren-baxter/9tTi6Ovq7ew/24-12-19/

Lol, but the point is that people keep beating the same dead negative horse. Lol. Like many other people have said, state your negative opinion it’s fine, but to keep doing it over and over to the point where it’s the same negative opinion on every page, it gets annoying to see. When many people just want to come here and have a good conversation about the album/era and everything that’s going on and etc.

Sure - but I wouldn't go and discuss NFR anywhere else but this thread. Which is what I responded to when you asked why people were posting here instead of "LDR7 pre-release thread or any other thread." This is literally the post-release discussion thread where people want to chat about the album. Although yes, I think we get that certain people are set in their camps now.  :creep:

Ps what is ONFRH? (only Norman Fucking Rockwell haters?)

Yea, that has kind of left me a bit confused, lol. I think it’s because they’re scared that their little secret gem of an artist is finally getting the praise she so rightfully deserves lol. I mean, imagine being mad at an artist that you love is getting acclaim all over the place, just because she released an album that YOU PERSONALLY don’t like. I mean damn, if I acted that way towards any other of my favorite artist like Bone Thugs-n-Harmony or Nicki Minaj for example... I’d probably stop stanning them and stop checking for their music, because lord knows that they’ve released some bad stuff. But I state my opinion maybe a handful of times and then keep it moving and then wait for their next release to see what happens. I mean, they even think these “professional music critics are wrong... like wtf. Lol.

I'd love Lana to win the Grammy for this album! The more people realise her genius, the better. I really am hoping she will win. But it'd be a bit like Natalie Portman winning an Oscar for Black Swan, when she should have won one for Closer. By which I mean, I think there are other entries in her body of work more worthy of what is supposed to be highest distinction in the musical field. I am more upset that she missed out on accolades for those, which are now retroactively being lauded as landmark works that altered pop music in the 2010s. I'm not mad. NFR is a banger and I listen to it regularly, but it does miss the hallmarks of her OG work. 

I'm sure a swathe of other members here can (and will) carry this baton on in discussion for me.  :deadbanana:

Also as a side note, it's really detrimental to any form of intelligent conversation to say someone must be an expert in a field to have their opinions in it validated. I am not a professional singer, but I can tell when someone is singing out of tune. I also don't run a country, but I can have a say on issues like climate change. As I mentioned in another thread earlier today, art is subjective and just because you're a 'professional' in the industry doesn't mean you're wholeheartedly correct. Throughout history "professional music critics" have dismissed ground breaking works including Carmen, Born to Die, The Rite of Spring and Les Misérables, in consideration of what the zeitgeist is and theorising how GP would react against the standard of the time. Looking back they're hilariously out of touch, soooo don't just rely on what critics say at the time although there is a grain of truth in everything!  :teehee:

TL;DR - I love the album even with its flaws! I think other albums were more deserving, but I want Lana to win AOTY and get that praise! I want everyone to know about Lana and acknowledge how great she is. Critics don't mean shittttt (although they are lovely additions).

3lfQEhw.png

The issue that causes some people (e.g., me) to resist the critical acclaim she's getting now is a kind of perceived dishonesty in critics for why they are giving her the acclaim. They attribute their praise to something she did differently in NFR rather than just for their critical opinions changing about what she does over releases. The capsule review you cited above kind of hedges it both ways. Unlike people who believe NFR is blasé, I believe NFR acclaim is warranted; however, I also believe that had LFL been her most recent release (and NFR released after HM), LFL would be up for album of the year, with maybe one of its singles (change?) up for song of the year. I could be wrong, of course, but nobody can prove me wrong, lol.

LFL???? Lol delulu album was nominated for a Grammy Chile but it ages like rotten spoiled milk. It made zero noise a year after. Literally forgotten.

NFR is already her second LONGEST charting album right after BTD. In case, y’all haven’t noticed NFR is still top 20 on iTunes.

I have a theory. I genuinely think how her vocals are mixed effects how the gp consumes her. BTD and NFR are the only album with clear crisp vocals that aren’t masked by the tin sounding effects (tho HTD has that effects too but the mix is clearly loud and over the production). 

Clear vocals = success. The flavor. 

I have a theory. I genuinely think how her vocals are mixed effects how the gp consumes her. BTD and NFR are the only album with clear crisp vocals that aren’t masked by the tin sounding effects (tho HTD has that effects too but the mix is clearly loud and over the production). 

now perhaps i have hearing damage but like half that album has that piece of paper muffling shit

CAUSE BACK IN SCHOOL

WE ARE THE LEADERS OF IT ALL

It certainly helps. I remember when I was a new fan I was baffled how poorly recorded UV was, and certain songs on LFL were totally unpalatable . . . BPBP and TNC ugh.

3lfQEhw.png

I must be alone but I love it when they put lots of effects on her voice. For example how she sounds like an emotionless robot on Body Electric. It just works for me. It's beautiful. And we have the live version when we want more flavor.