Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Just announced the nominees for AOTY & played a clip of Bartender for NFR.. interesting choice x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

I just started to listen to this album and I'm legit in tears I don't know how this masterpiece got robbed jesus

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

I just started to listen to this album and I'm legit in tears I don't know how this masterpiece got robbed jesus

The Grammys and Oscar awards are ALL ABOUT THE MONEY and Business interests. No one in the industry cares

about what is really good art anymore.

Some companies spend over 2+ million dollars a few weeks before the awards to entice the judging to nominate a certain film or record album to win.

It is ALL RIGGED !!

-

How depressing.... agreed also that if she didn’t win with this one with all the critical reception then what chance does she ever have. Had billie’s album come out before 2012 it would have been trashed. I think Billie is very talented but NFR is such a superior album and Lana has done her time releasing album after album which have been under-recognised. 

578c68b668f2f515fc750b6860a1213b--torch- Ever since my baby went away... its been the blackest day..... its been the blackest day

I will admit, I would like to be in a fandom where an artist wins for once. However, I don't live my life liking things based on what awards they get, so I'm not too fussed! It would have been a deserving win, but on reflection here are some factors I think of why NFR didn't:

• Little to no campaigning from Lana to actually win the award. No interviews, long stretches on social media with no content related to the album, no TV performances or high profile talk shows to build and maintain hype. Is this her management or her? I'm inclined to think her.
  • Shambolic roll-out of the album, including confusion over the singles. Venice Bitch and MAC weren't even confirmed inclusions until the track list came out, and at the time were called something dumb like 'fan singles'? The slow roll out of some of her strongest and well-received pieces (Venice Bitch, MAC and even Hope) meant they almost entirely dropped out of public view, and lead to an ineligibility of those tracks leads to none of them being able to nominated for Song of the Year. Norman Fucking Rockwell simply didn't have the same appeal. Also releasing the 
  • Norman Fucking Rockwell was never, ever, EVER going to win song of the year. It didn't even have a film clip until very late last year. It wasn't sent to radio stations, and wasn't radio friendly. 
  • She never sung her singles at her concerts. She balks at performing new material, and has fucked up with shaky performances live more than once. She didn't even perform at the awards. This is basically cementing the perception that she is still living in 'Born to Die' territory. Again, this is self-sabotage. 
  • The title of the album, and the singles ('Venice Bitch', 'Norman FUCKING!! Rockwell', 'Fuck It I Love You') put prudes off, affected YouTube algorithms and search results on Google, and would have diluted aggregated results for the album due to the different titles (Norman Fucking Rockwell OR NFR! or Norman F**king Rockwell OR Norman Rockwell OR whatever else). The album didn't have the same appeal as things that regularly popped up like Bad Guy. The sacrifice of this title didn't really resonate with a lot of people and an artistic choice that probably put people off.
  • The awards are rigged (discussed as recently as this week from the President of the Grammys), and most likely a committee was wanting to pick something popular to stay 'in touch' with current trends.
  • It's still not 'cool' to like Lana del Rey. 
  • Obviously she would be proud of the music, but apparently she can't even produce nice artwork for her singles, or format the titles of her tracks correctly. That really projects a feeling like she couldn't care less. If she doesn't care, why bother giving it to her? 
  • Maybe controversially, it's simply not as good as her previous albums (?) and didn't have as many hits.

While I wish she'd won, I think if she DID win, it would undeservingly absolve a lot of these issues that we were unhappy with during the roll-out of the album. If she is truly driven, and keen on winning the Grammy, then for the next album hopefully she will trust her managers a touch more, and we will see a refreshed approach, with a more considered approach to promotion and sensible choices. But maybe she actually doesn't care! (we know she does but eh). 

3lfQEhw.png

This Lemonade all over again. Both NFR and Lemonade were the most acclaimed records of their year but didn’t win the Grammy. I hate award shows.

I was a bit concerned for WHF if NFR won AOTY, that she might rethink it all over so WHF would be « as good as ». At least, this is out of the picture :/

I will admit, I would like to be in a fandom where an artist wins for once. However, I don't live my life liking things based on what awards they get, so I'm not too fussed! It would have been a deserving win, but on reflection here are some factors I think of why NFR didn't:

• Little to no campaigning from Lana to actually win the award. No interviews, long stretches on social media with no content related to the album, no TV performances or high profile talk shows to build and maintain hype. Is this her management or her? I'm inclined to think her.
  • Shambolic roll-out of the album, including confusion over the singles. Venice Bitch and MAC weren't even confirmed inclusions until the track list came out, and at the time were called something dumb like 'fan singles'? The slow roll out of some of her strongest and well-received pieces (Venice Bitch, MAC and even Hope) meant they almost entirely dropped out of public view, and lead to an ineligibility of those tracks leads to none of them being able to nominated for Song of the Year. Norman Fucking Rockwell simply didn't have the same appeal. Also releasing the
  • Norman Fucking Rockwell was never, ever, EVER going to win song of the year. It didn't even have a film clip until very late last year. It wasn't sent to radio stations, and wasn't radio friendly.
  • She never sung her singles at her concerts. She balks at performing new material, and has fucked up with shaky performances live more than once. She didn't even perform at the awards. This is basically cementing the perception that she is still living in 'Born to Die' territory. Again, this is self-sabotage.
  • The title of the album, and the singles ('Venice Bitch', 'Norman FUCKING!! Rockwell', 'Fuck It I Love You') put prudes off, affected YouTube algorithms and search results on Google, and would have diluted aggregated results for the album due to the different titles (Norman Fucking Rockwell OR NFR! or Norman F**king Rockwell OR Norman Rockwell OR whatever else). The album didn't have the same appeal as things that regularly popped up like Bad Guy. The sacrifice of this title didn't really resonate with a lot of people and an artistic choice that probably put people off.
  • The awards are rigged (discussed as recently as this week from the President of the Grammys), and most likely a committee was wanting to pick something popular to stay 'in touch' with current trends.
  • Obviously she would be proud of the music, but apparently she can't even produce nice artwork for her singles, or format the titles of her tracks correctly. That really projects a feeling like she couldn't care less. If she doesn't care, why bother giving it to her?
  • Maybe controversially, it's simply not as good as her previous albums (?) and didn't have as many hits.
While I wish she'd won, I think if she DID win, it would undeservingly absolve a lot of these issues that we were unhappy with during the roll-out of the album. If she is truly driven, and keen on winning the Grammy, then for the next album hopefully she will trust her managers a touch more, and we will see a refreshed approach, with a more considered approach to promotion and sensible choices. But maybe she actually doesn't care! (we know she does but eh).

You made so many valid points! I had a sliver of hope but honestly the odds were against her and some of it was due to her poor decisions. I was hoping this would push her to work harder for the next album but I’m really doubting it.

You made so many valid points! I had a sliver of hope but honestly the odds were against her and some of it was due to her poor decisions. I was hoping this would push her to work harder for the next album but I’m really doubting it.

I also agree with almost all the points made. Generally, people shy away from chaos and confusion, and NFR had PLENTY. I also think it was a very weak record for the most part (not all).

I will admit, I would like to be in a fandom where an artist wins for once. However, I don't live my life liking things based on what awards they get, so I'm not too fussed! It would have been a deserving win, but on reflection here are some factors I think of why NFR didn't:

Thanks for the well written posts. I see no lies.

I will admit, I would like to be in a fandom where an artist wins for once. However, I don't live my life liking things based on what awards they get, so I'm not too fussed! It would have been a deserving win, but on reflection here are some factors I think of why NFR didn't:

After the anger at what happened at the Grammy yesterday... That's the feeling!

If not even Lana seems to take herself seriously, why would other people consider her?

Some people said that the culprit for Lana losing the awards is Interscope.

But in place of Interscope, you would bet your chips on a lazy artist, who loves her art, but doesn’t endeavor to promote it, who doesn’t perform live, except on tour (and even then, it seems she does it only out of obligation) and disappears for days while she should be committed to her work?

She has a loyal fanbase, but she doesn't have a lot of visibility among the general public... Some things don't sustain alone.

I don't know if she "doesn't really care" or self-sabotages (which is sad).

But part of the bad things that happen in her career end up being the fault of her "choices"... Unfortunately! :(

giphy.gif