Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Doin' Time had the potential to get one of her biggest hits like Summertime Sadness. They sent it only to "alternative" radio stations if I remember correctly. They should have sent it to bigger radio stations as well. I talked to my best friend today and Doin' Time was playing in the background and she usually doesn't listen to Lana at all. This reminded me that I could have been a bigger hit than is it. But we know Lanas Team/ Management :scoff:

Lana doesn't need to have big hits on the radio but it would have been nice. The only songs I hear on the radio of her are Summertime Sadness and Video Games (at least in my country). I don't listen to the radio that often but it would be nice if they would play a newer song from Lana even it's a sublime cover.

Yess, they should have sent it to pop radio as well... DT has 110mln streams on Spotify and the song isn’t even one year old so it is not bad.

giphy.gif

No shade, but I actually heard DT on the radio like 3-4 times? First time I was in Long beach and I was like YES???

That sounds great..being in Long Beach and hearing Lana suddenly on the radio :defeated:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

Doin' Time had the potential to get one of her biggest hits like Summertime Sadness. They sent it only to "alternative" radio stations if I remember correctly. They should have sent it to bigger radio stations as well. I talked to my best friend today and Doin' Time was playing in the background and she usually doesn't listen to Lana at all. This reminded me that I could have been a bigger hit than is it. But we know Lanas Team/ Management :scoff:

Lana doesn't need to have big hits on the radio but it would have been nice.  The only songs I hear on the radio of her are Summertime Sadness and Video Games (at least in my country). I don't listen to the radio that often but it would be nice if they would play a newer song from Lana even it's a sublime cover.

Definitely agreed - a bar I was at played Doin Time and my friends (who aren't familiar with Lana) loved it as well and asked me the name after I said it was by Lana! Easily one of my all time faves from her tbh. With all the hype and success of NFR, this was a big missed opportunity for sure.

Cinnamon Girl is the most streamed album track from NFR: Can someone explain why?

it's not? At least on spotify. Doin' Time, Mariners Apartment Complex, hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it, Venice Bitch, Fuck it I love you, and Norman fucking Rockwell all have more, in that order.

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

it's not? At least on spotify. Doin' Time, Mariners Apartment Complex, hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it, Venice Bitch, Fuck it I love you, and Norman fucking Rockwell all have more, in that order.

they said album track. those are all singles 

WTF :facepalm:

Sputnik have finally released their decade-end list

37. Lana Del Rey – Norman Fucking Rockwell!

LanaDelRey_NormalFuckingRockwell.jpg

Lana Del Rey’s immense level of talent has always been self-evident. Her vocals soar with a sense of eloquence and dire purpose; a voice that sounds like it was meant to speak to an entire generation. The problem is that across five full-length LPs, that destiny was never fulfilled. She wrote some absolute hits – namely ‘Born to Die’ and ‘Video Games’ – but she could never quite string together a complete album of songs worth listening to. Well, Norman Fucking Rockwell! is the album that we’d been screaming for since she first flashed potential at the beginning of this past decade – a front-to-end masterclass in songwriting that, in partial debt to Jack Antenoff’s brilliant production, showcases her voice to its maximum potential. All of this liberates Del Rey to do what she does best: wax poetic about America – or in this case, its demise.

Norman Fucking Rockwell! revels in its apathetic apocalypse; Del Rey sits back coolly and sings about it all like a passive spectator – someone who can easily see the fire on the morning’s horizon, yet knows that it’s too late to turn the Earth backwards to yesterday. With this mindset, we’re given drunken nights spent partying, fucking, and getting high – it’s a “too late” mentality that is rather certain of what our fate will entail after the next page-turn within the book of life (“If this is it, I had a ball” / “I guess I’m signing off after all”) and very much in a state of post-panic. Within Norman Fucking Rockwell!‘s almost shell-shocked calm, we’re given a handful of Del Rey’s most breathtaking ballads: ‘Venice Bitch’ in its nine minutes of clear-eyed lucidity, dreamy soft-rock elements, and psychedelia; the breathy whispers of ‘Mariners Apartment Complex’ underpinned by gorgeous classical pianos; the momentous anthem for women’s rights that is ‘​hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have – but i have it’; the subtle jabs at the presidency in the title track; the humor and sadness that ‘Happiness is a butterfly’ emits with that ridiculously infectious chorus…it’s all here. Norman Fucking Rockwell! beckons for us to join in on the anarchal apathy, light one up, and gaze into the eyes of a loved one. Because after the record stops spinning, we don’t know if we’ll get another chance. –Sowing

She wrote some absolute hits – namely ‘Born to Die’ and ‘Video Games’ – but she could never quite string together a complete album of songs worth listening to.

Another entitled idiot who didn't took the time or the effort to listen to anything else by her after Born to die and Video Games, yet has the audacity to despise the inmense records she has put out since day one. Worse, yet: another coward that would surely have tried to ridiculise her if it was still the tone on the industry, yet feels authorized enough to give herself validation when the mainstream opinion finally decided to do it.

If there's anything that makes me respect Lana a ton within all this rubbish critics, is that the last thing she was going for with NFR was validation. Keep your vision going, Lana.

Another entitled idiot who didn't took the time or the effort to listen to anything else by her after Born to die and Video Games, yet has the audacity to despise the inmense records she has put out since day one. Worse, yet: another coward that would surely have tried to ridiculise her if it was still the tone on the industry, yet feels authorized enough to give herself validation when the mainstream opinion finally decided to do it.

If there's anything that makes me respect Lana a ton within all this rubbish critics, is that the last thing she was going for with NFR was validation. Keep your vision going, Lana.

lmao nfr haters really mad af

this publication has been praising her since the beginning

UV 4.3/5 - superb -  https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/62846/Lana-Del-Rey-Ultraviolence/

Paradise 3.5/5 - great - https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/54172/Lana-Del-Rey-Paradise/

LFL - 4/5 - excellent - https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/74333/Lana-Del-Rey-Lust-For-Life/

BTD - 4/5 - excellent - https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/47721/Lana-Del-Rey-Born-to-Die/

damn, their BTD review says:

Born to Die is a brilliant album, but it's one that leaves room for a few improvements, and inspires confidence that they'll happen.

keep your vision going  :teehee:

"but she could never quite string together a complete album of songs worth listening to"

wow, i would have to disagree with this statement, i know it's all opinion etc. but for me personally i find ultraviolence and honeymoon to be her most cohesive and fulfilling projects - with no skips.

lmao nfr haters really mad af

this publication has been praising her since the beginning

UV 4.3/5 - superb -  https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/62846/Lana-Del-Rey-Ultraviolence/

Paradise 3.5/5 - great - https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/54172/Lana-Del-Rey-Paradise/

LFL - 4/5 - excellent - https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/74333/Lana-Del-Rey-Lust-For-Life/

BTD - 4/5 - excellent - https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/47721/Lana-Del-Rey-Born-to-Die/

damn, their BTD review says:

keep your vision going  :teehee:

First: "NFR hater", who?

Second: Talking about the critic, not the publication. Go and check who wrote the review on NFR for the decade-end list, he/she isn't the same who wrote the other album ones (but LFL, with a 4/5 -sure many here have reasons to not agree on that either).

And yes, please, Lana, keep your vision going!

First: "NFR hater", who?

Second: Talking about the critic, not the publication. Go and check who wrote the review on NFR for the decade-end list, he/she isn't the same who wrote the other album ones (but LFL, with a 4/5 -sure many here have reasons to not agree on that either).

And yes, please, Lana, keep your vision going!

um, you dont say? lol i know perfectly well how they work. but to choose a year-end review and spot they all have to agree. that's why it's a mainstream publication. they have an ideology, a concept and a goal.