Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Tbh where’d the narrative that Lanas best writing is about America/the state of the world/current events even come from??? She doesn’t even have songs like that until LFL, and those songs weren’t the stronger songs on the record. But I feel like every review of NFR is saying Lana’s calling is representing “the world”... it’s so weird to me

Tbh where’d the narrative that Lanas best writing is about America/the state of the world/current events even come from??? She doesn’t even have songs like that until LFL, and those songs weren’t the stronger songs on the record. But I feel like every review of NFR is saying Lana’s calling is representing “the world”... it’s so weird to me

Because, in my opinion of course, NFR does function as both, a deeply intimate album about her current state of mind and as a commentary about the current state of the world. This duality, double entendre if you wish, started with the song "Change", which is essentially about her change of self-perspective, well-being and mental health, a process that took place at the same time the world is changing at such unique pace. She connects her wish and will to change with the current environmental, social, cultural and political change of the world. It just feels right to have NFR in 2019-20.

For instance, "hope is a dangerous thing..." is definitely a song about her; about her past and the strength and hope she knows she has inside in order to be a better version of herself, but it also works as a feminism commentary, a critique of the music industry and the current feeling we all have of uncertainty. Sort of reminds me of Beyoncé's "Freedom"; political commentary but still works perfectly fine within the theme of the album which was her troubled relationship with Jay-Z.

Because, in my opinion of course, NFR does function as both, a deeply intimate album about her current state of mind and as a commentary about the current state of the world. This duality, double entendre if you wish, started with the song "Change", which is essentially about her change of self-perspective, well-being and mental health, a process that took place at the same time the world is changing at such unique pace. She connects her wish and will to change with the current environmental, social, cultural and political change of the world. It just feels right to have NFR in 2019-20.

For instance, "hope is a dangerous thing..." is definitely a song about her; about her past and the strength and hope she knows she has inside in order to be a better version of herself, but it also works as a feminism commentary, a critique of the music industry and the current feeling we all have of uncertainty. Sort of reminds me of Beyoncé's "Freedom"; political commentary but still works perfectly fine within the theme of the album which was her troubled relationship with Jay-Z.

Thanks for answering, I really like your description of how Lana can do songs with duel meaning both relating to the individual and to the society. 

I agree she has songs about those themes of state of world/social politics, But to me the obvious answer about what Lana writes about best would be something like romantic love or deep emotion, not politics. and like you said, the songs about the world are more recent in her discography. so that's why I think its very strange and out of the blue to consider that the topic she is most skilled at writing about. I hope that makes sense

"but she could never quite string together a complete album of songs worth listening to"

wow, i would have to disagree with this statement, i know it's all opinion etc. but for me personally i find ultraviolence and honeymoon to be her most cohesive and fulfilling projects - with no skips.

exactly! i wouldn't skip a single track on UV and HM but you definitely won't hear me listening to How to Disappear ever. I never listen to NFR eagerly like I do with other albums, it's more reluctant. 

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189

exactly! i wouldn't skip a single track on UV and HM but you definitely won't hear me listening to How to Disappear ever. I never listen to NFR eagerly like I do with other albums, it's more reluctant.

This! If anything I have a shorter playlist with the only listenable songs from NFR on it LOL. Leak HTD DEMO 2020

Thanks for answering, I really like your description of how Lana can do songs with duel meaning both relating to the individual and to the society. 

I agree she has songs about those themes of state of world/social politics, But to me the obvious answer about what Lana writes about best would be something like romantic love or deep emotion, not politics. and like you said, the songs about the world are more recent in her discography. so that's why I think its very strange and out of the blue to consider that the topic she is most skilled at writing about. I hope that makes sense

Oh I can see what you mean now. Well, then I think one of the things that shocked critics is the fact that the songwriting and themes on NFR are actually so well crafted! When NFR came out, I was confused and indifferent about it regarding the music itself (now I love it) but the lyrics were always the strongest point imo. Her more intimate and mature lyrics are definitely much more beautifully written than those of doom and tragic romance. Don't get me wrong, I love those lyrics, and I believe the lyricism on Honeymoon is fantastic (perhaps because she was hinting the upcoming themes? Since Honeymoon is more introspective and self-empowering). I just mean happy and thoughtful Lana is better than dramatiqué Lana. (I M H O)

I- maybe I'm like oversimplifying or something. but. I think this record's a lot to do with love.

Like, Born to Die's about transformation, making the most of what she knew.
Paradise is, about reaching that identity she wanted for herself.
Ultraviolence is about living with everything she's got, but dealing w the fact that life's still not perfect even with all the success.
Honeymoon is about clinging to what she still has. Taking care of herself. 
Lust for Life is about trusting herself, and opening up to the world. Being able to let go of her demons and joining society, not just thru her bubble. 
NFR! is her testing herself,  and actually letting herself be vulnerable. even if that means that she's left all alone. 

UV/Honeymoon

As much as I love Lana’s music, I was never able to find myself much in it before NFR, except for some songs I’ve always cherished. Maybe because I never was one of these people who have an extravagant life, who "live fast die young". But with NFR, it’s different. This album is about simple things in life (dancing, going to the beach, crying late at night, daydreaming), simple love affairs, simple issues... It’s a down to earth album. To me, there’s nothing more beautiful but also more painful than simple things.

Not everyone can like this album, because I feel like it’s about Elizabeth Woolridge Grant, not Lana Del Rey, however, no sensible person should say the album is not good.

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

So...NFR is now Lana’s most listened album on Apple Music worldwide with 2.9mln points and has surpassed LfL. NFR has also gained 6000 points today (LfL 689). This chart exists since July 2017.

giphy.gif

After all this time I think my trinity would be Love Song - California - Mariners Apartment Complex.

They really hit me where it hurts.  :poordat:

Hope is really close though. 

its crazy how with every album she has completely surprised us and outdone herself (besides LFL but thinking back to 2017 the record was so necessary for that summer and the prerelease era will always have a special place in my heart) 

tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo4_250.gif   tumblr_otaqmarVHa1u9dqtjo3_400.gif  tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo7_250.gif

So...NFR is now Lana’s most listened album on Apple Music worldwide with 2.9mln points and has surpassed LfL. NFR has also gained 6000 points today (LfL 689). This chart exists since July 2017.

Link?

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

tbh, NFR has the best music videos out of all her eras.

Not when the NFR/Bartender/HIAB video exists. The NFR part was kinda cute but the rest :biblio:

Fuck it I love you and The greatest video is very good. The visuals are amazing :flutter:

The Doin' Time video was iconic though

Mac and Venice Bitch videos don't count as real music videos for me..more like some cute visuals

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

tbh, NFR has the best music videos out of all her eras.

18.gif

What do you mean? The embarassing triple-video that completely destroyed the atmosphere of the songs? Or the uninspired MAC/VB loops?

FIILY/TG double video had nice visuals, but was super anticlimatic. Especially the TG part was just empty af.

The only good vieo here is DT

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!