Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Idk if this sounds strange and I’m not even entirely sure what I mean by this, but I feel like out of all Lana’s records, UV has the biggest crackwhore vibe.

:fabcat:

I don't know if that was discussed before, but today I thought that Fuck it I love you is an unintentional sequel to West Coast.

In West Coast, Lana finds herself in a dilemma between her career and her lover. She obviously chose her ambition and now that she made her dreams true, she still needs her lover (Fuck it I love you). Now she's stronger, more stable and successful, so she's ready to go back to him (a recurrent theme throughout all of NFR!). Also both songs share this trippy, psychedelic, surf rock instrumentation.

I'm relating to NFR! so much lately :defeated:

I don't know if that was discussed before, but today I thought that Fuck it I love you is an unintentional sequel to West Coast.

In West Coast, Lana finds herself in a dilemma between her career and her lover. She obviously chose her ambition and now that she made her dreams true, she still needs her lover (Fuck it I love you). Now she's stronger, more stable and successful, so she's ready to go back to him (a recurrent theme throughout all of NFR!). Also both songs share this trippy, psychedelic, surf rock instrumentation.

Slightly off topic, but I always attributed her soft background vocals contrasted w how imo drunkedly low she sang the chorus back to love, and mm yeah hard agree bout it possibly being connected to FIILY :lanacry2:

UV/Honeymoon

NFR really does seem like one long (musical) Missed Connections post on craigslist.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg

Doesn’t it happen once in a while? Like some glitch... Same happened last year with her albums and Taylor’s. It came back a few days later. We thought it meant NFR was coming when there were no news of the damn thing.

I know there've been others contesting like the lack of atmosphere of this record, never personal like that just an observation, but. well what's it like to ya's ? 

I'm thinking it might be overall the stripped back sound, which kinda lends to thought of just being in one place, or being stationary. 

Personally think it's perfect for when it's just real hot outside, night or day, and you've some moments to yourself before really doing anything. so, kinda like, being grounded, back to real life, which, is such a reverse sorta move to how outwardly cinematic her past stuff's been.. 
it's like it's quietly cinematic

UV/Honeymoon

I've been relistening to AKA this morning and, in a way, it feels like NFR is its little sister, to the album closer to it. It's the same Lana, in a way, only she is younger on AKA and older on NFR, but she is still in the same state: just in the middle between good and bad, between wanting what's best for her and complying to self-destructive boyfriends or situations. It's specially true on Gramma.

So, in a way, the whole story of her discography is «Good girl gone bad»: She's right in the middle on AKA, and it gets further down until UV. HM has her still being in the end of the rope, but with hints of hope; LFL is the threshold... and she lands, with NFR, somewhere in the middle of good and evil, with just a bit more experiences, and owning who she is. 

HM, UV. 
BTD, paradise. 
NFR
LFL

and not to say this album's horrible, far from- it's actually just pretty difficult to even rank her records bc she does put a lot of effort in putting out something w quality. 

still. think it's the most comforting out of all of her stuff.

if LFL didn't exist, strangely enough I feel like there wouldn't b much of a discussion about which album was bad tbh 

UV/Honeymoon