Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

3,741 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Get Free? You mean the Radiohead derivative?

First of all: how dare you?

Second of all, they had already ripped off this song from The Air That I Breathe and had to pay copyrights to The Hollies. So to accuse Lana of ripping them off was a bit of a stretch, and I genuinely believe that the similarities in the chord progression was a coincidence on her part. 

Third of all, it's literally the best song on that godawful record.

tenor.gif

do yall think that DCMA will boost NFR's sales this week? Like it may go up 1 or 2 spots on BB 200?

Yes. The album is predicted to stay in top 10 for its 3rd week (maybe it's because people enjoying it) - LFL was out after 1st. 

giphy.gif

is HIAB about a grindr hookup?

"dropped a pin to my parking spot" ????

"if he's a serial killer then whats the worst" ???

OMGOMGOMG

I can totally envision this.... "Don't be a jerk don't call me a taxi crying in the backseat"   Totally the words to either a bad hookup/one night stand OR her getting drunk and wild and the guy having enough of the nonsense and calling a taxi to take her back home.

Or maybe I am just placing myself into the song to much :(

is HIAB about a grindr hookup?

"dropped a pin to my parking spot" ????

"if he's a serial killer then whats the worst" ???

Eye- :rip:

I wonder how long until the album instrumentals begin to leak.

Although what I really wish for is the instrumental of AKA Yayo to surface. It is so dreamy.

THIS. Also I wanna jam to the Jump instrumental tee bee aych

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

Re: Bird World I’m still 80% sure it was Burned/Burnt World; it just makes more sense

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

Slate's Culture Gabfest podcast had a nice lengthy discussion of the album here from about 21:04 - 40:04:

https://slate.com/podcasts/culture-gabfest/2019/09/american-factory-lana-del-rey-writers-residency

I looked at the transcript only, which they post at the website. They have points both complimentary (about her new "maturity") and critical (her response to Ann Powers). I don't know these guys as mover/shakers though. On the topic of interesting discussion of LDR/NFR, The Atlantic gave both a good NFR review (doesn't count for metacritic) and a rejoinder to Ann's think piece.

The Atlantic famously endorsed both Abraham Lincoln and Hilary Clinton (not at the same time, LOL).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Atlantic

yall we really paid FIILY/TG video dust...poor thing doesn't even have 10 million views. I just rewatched it on a large screen during sad boy hours and it's so beautiful

It’s because it’s a double mv + she released Doin’ time too quickly after that 

yall we really paid FIILY/TG video dust...poor thing doesn't even have 10 million views. I just rewatched it on a large screen during sad boy hours and it's so beautiful

Because it’s too long... it’s proven that people don’t watch long music videos... The ones with more views are the shorter ones always

For anyone following my NFR butterflies, the final one (Hope) was born today. She has a crippled wing tho and can’t fly. It’s pretty common for butterflies and I’ve been lucky that most of the ones I’ve raised have been healthy. Hope is resting comfortably with some sugar water and I think she enjoyed the Lana tunes I played for her this afternoon.

The Chelsea Hotel live she just did. oh my god.

:defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:

So beautiful and moving. I know she did it way back and live since, but I wish she could have included it on this record too. It seems to really fit with the NFR theme. ughhhhh 

E A T            T̷ H̷ E̶            R̶ I̷ C̵ H̴             tumblr_o31zf4pNq61ufd98oo4_500.gifv

It’s because it’s a double mv + she released Doin’ time too quickly after that 

Because it’s too long... it’s proven that people don’t watch long music videos... The ones with more views are the shorter ones always

None of this matters. Explain K-12 having 20 million views then. Plenty of long videos have great views. It has not been proven and you’re making shit up.

what true is

The main reason is because the video isn’t censored. YouTube has an algorithm that filters out explicit words. 

If you look at ANY interviews she’s done with the album. The title is always censored. As well as reactions videos. At least they know about YT rules and policy.

Lana doesn’t know about that or she doesn’t care. 

If they are really going to push “The Greatest” as a single (according to someone here), they better start uploading a separate video ASAP. The streaming will never take off because YouTube will continue to block it.