Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

ummm... the Paradise era was clearly the best.  Ride, Blue Velvet, (bonus track/video) Burning Desire + TROPICO (Body Electric, Gods & Monsters, Bel Air) makes 6 videos for that era.  And between Ride and Tropico these videos were coming straight from Lana's creative vision.  No lazy iphone videos.  These were top notch visionary.  I'd love to see her top this era someday, but it's feeling less and less likely as the years go by.

the paradise visuals were so good

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

after some thinking and some time i really do feel like NFR is an autumn album (contrary to most people's opinions  :ohno: )

NFR - this is pretty seasonally neutral i guess, but i interpret it as an autumnal or even winter song; the horn (?) sound gives me december vibes for some reason, and the lack of percussion in the song makes it feel like a kinda "stay at home and cosy up" track as opposed to a "get dressed get ready and go out into the world to have fun" track

MAC - sometimes this feels like a summer song, but sometimes it gives me "sailing the stormy seas in cold weather" vibes

VB - okay now THIS is a summer song

FIILY - another obvious summer jam

DT - okay this is another summer song obviously

LS - kinda neutral, but the minimalism and emptiness of the track - particularly in the reverb on the piano notes during the verses - makes something about this song feel cold. but then the strings, for some reason, give me kind of a summer vibe.... so idk about this one

CG - during summer the song gives me warm vibes, during winter it gives me cold vibes  :P  so idk

HTD - straight up sounds like a christmas song

California - this song defffff gives me sad, empty autumn feelings, nothing about it screams summertime to me, maybe it's something to do with the vocal style on the chorus?

TNBAR - despite the lyrics ("topanga's haaaaawt tonighttttt"), this song doesn't feel like summer at all; the windy echoing sounds at the start of the song lay down a chilly vibe that the minimal, spaced-out guitar then emphasises, the sounds that kick in during the pre-chorus sound almost like the beginning of a storm and the chorus (which i love btw) feels kind of... strangely empty and cold?? this a song i can only really listen to in the colder months

TG - this is another one that could kind of go either way, kinda neutral but right now it's feeling really appropriate for the more melancholic cold months. to me it doesn't really sound like summer, it sounds like missing summer.... if that makes sense

Bartender - this song sounds like the audible version of snowfall

HIAB - i do get slightly summery vibes from this track because of the subtle guitar and strings, but nothing major - piano ballads tend to remind me of fall in general

Hope - a sad, cosy autumn song no doubt

idk i mean i'm british so our summer is over pretty quickly and i vividly remember the day the album came out it rained heavily  :flop:  so that's bound to colour my opinion somewhat, but yeah, idk i just can't view this a summer album like say HM or UV

Wq9zHLl.jpg

Lana sang TNBAR record acapella last night!!

But you could barely hear her bc some fans were singing so loud...

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

after some thinking and some time i really do feel like NFR is an autumn album (contrary to most people's opinions :ohno: )

NFR - this is pretty seasonally neutral i guess, but i interpret it as an autumnal or even winter song; the horn (?) sound gives me december vibes for some reason, and the lack of percussion in the song makes it feel like a kinda "stay at home and cosy up" track as opposed to a "get dressed get ready and go out into the world to have fun" track

MAC - sometimes this feels like a summer song, but sometimes it gives me "sailing the stormy seas in cold weather" vibes

VB - okay now THIS is a summer song

FIILY - another obvious summer jam

DT - okay this is another summer song obviously

LS - kinda neutral, but the minimalism and emptiness of the track - particularly in the reverb on the piano notes during the verses - makes something about this song feel cold. but then the strings, for some reason, give me kind of a summer vibe.... so idk about this one

CG - during summer the song gives me warm vibes, during winter it gives me cold vibes :P so idk

HTD - straight up sounds like a christmas song

California - this song defffff gives me sad, empty autumn feelings, nothing about it screams summertime to me, maybe it's something to do with the vocal style on the chorus?

TNBAR - despite the lyrics ("topanga's haaaaawt tonighttttt"), this song doesn't feel like summer at all; the windy echoing sounds at the start of the song lay down a chilly vibe that the minimal, spaced-out guitar then emphasises, the sounds that kick in during the pre-chorus sound almost like the beginning of a storm and the chorus (which i love btw) feels kind of... strangely empty and cold?? this a song i can only really listen to in the colder months

TG - this is another one that could kind of go either way, kinda neutral but right now it's feeling really appropriate for the more melancholic cold months. to me it doesn't really sound like summer, it sounds like missing summer.... if that makes sense

Bartender - this song sounds like the audible version of snowfall

HIAB - i do get slightly summery vibes from this track because of the subtle guitar and strings, but nothing major - piano ballads tend to remind me of fall in general

Hope - a sad, cosy autumn song no doubt

idk i mean i'm british so our summer is over pretty quickly and i vividly remember the day the album came out it rained heavily :flop: so that's bound to colour my opinion somewhat, but yeah, idk i just can't view this a summer album like say HM or UV

To me, the title track is neutral too. MAC is a summer morning song and VB is a summer evening song. FIILY is another summer evening to me. DT is obviously a summer jam. LS appears to me as a spring song, or end of winter. CG gives me strong autumn vibes. HTD sounds like a winter song. California is end of summer. TNBAR is kinda cold to me despite her singing about how Topanga's hot, so autumn or winter. TG is like MAC, a summer morning song. Bartender is a winter song. HIAB is a spring song. And finally, Hope is a sad winter song.

But as a whole, the album is the perfect end of the summer/beginning of autumn record!

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

ummm... the Paradise era was clearly the best.  Ride, Blue Velvet, (bonus track/video) Burning Desire + TROPICO (Body Electric, Gods & Monsters, Bel Air) makes 6 videos for that era.  And between Ride and Tropico these videos were coming straight from Lana's creative vision.  No lazy iphone videos.  These were top notch visionary.  I'd love to see her top this era someday, but it's feeling less and less likely as the years go by.

I forgot about paradise... But still its not like we got nothing in this era. 

578c68b668f2f515fc750b6860a1213b--torch- Ever since my baby went away... its been the blackest day..... its been the blackest day

Lana sang TNBAR record acapella last night!!

But you could barely hear her bc some fans were singing so loud...

arghhhhhhh 

578c68b668f2f515fc750b6860a1213b--torch- Ever since my baby went away... its been the blackest day..... its been the blackest day

idk where else to post this but harry styles is selling tickets to his forum show where he’s playing his whole new album live before it’s released next month and tix are only $25.... apparently artists have to agree to the whole platinum/tiered seating/tickets thing on ticketmaster which harry doesn’t have cuz ALL the tickets are $25 (and he’s using ticketmaster as well) i just can’t lmao.... lana lit rally hates us

UbsOye5.png

idk where else to post this but harry styles is selling tickets to his forum show where he’s playing his whole new album live before it’s released next month and tix are only $25.... apparently artists have to agree to the whole platinum/tiered seating/tickets thing on ticketmaster which harry doesn’t have cuz ALL the tickets are $25 (and he’s using ticketmaster as well) i just can’t lmao.... lana lit rally hates us

I think artists don't have a lot to say on the price of their tickets most of the time. Maybe Harry's team is super cool with him and agreed for a low price on the tickets? The situation is kind of ambiguous. At first, Billie Eilish was selling tickets for 20$ too, but the prices increased a lot as she got famous and she said she hated that. In 2011, Sia was negotiating the price of her tickets to be able to sell them as cheap as possible, but again, as she got more known a few years later, the prices increased.

I guess Lana never really cared about the prices and her team kept selling expensive tickets. I don't think it's Lana's decision, she's too lazy to care haha

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

I was listening to Lover (I know, rip) and noticed that False God has some of the industrial noises that are in the Cinnamon Girl outtro

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

Jack has three of the most acclaimed and beloved albums of the decade under his belt, possibly two AOTY nominees, all in the span of 2 years. No other Lana producer can compare or compete with him!

220px-St_Vincent_-_Masseduction.png220px-Lorde_-_Melodrama.png220px-Lana_Del_Rey_-_Norman_Fucking_Rock

tenor.gif

Who's the artist for the first album cover? The one with the lady bending over? 

To me, BTD can be any season. Paradise rings fall to me. All the others are summer albums, just not the same moment of that season: UV is a dark hot summer, HM is just before fall (Nothing gold can stay...), LFL is warm spring going into hot summer (really fits my mood in that season; super optimistic in spring and then realize summer is just another season with its deceptions), and NFR is August going into fall.

I LOVE the piano in The Greatest! It makes the song even more sad.

I bet these outros are there to keep the album together.

Love Song and California are great for that reason. It's cute that these songs don't have a bridge.

Mfhp.gif

Not being picky though, it's literally the first thing I hear on the very first track of the album, how "flat" the vocal track sounds like, and also how the entire instrumentation of the title track sounds tinny, like it has this sorta cheap metallic sound (?) like at some point it legit sounds like loose change in a pocket. Still love the song, but much like the vast majority of this record I'm honestly perplexed about what happened, or didn't happened, when they produced/mastered this record.

The so called flaws are obvious.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76110736a2d8d7d5a7d4ef

that’s hot. can we make out

BE4-BF75-D-1-C25-4-A49-AE3-E-558-FB954-A