Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

anyone know why she continues to trash her own fukin lyrics on stage... like last night in Kansas City she was like “exactly fuck that” when singing NFR.... like does she not like the song ? i’m ... confused... then i saw a fan video in barricade asking her to sing Terrance Loves You and she rolled her eyes?

I think she was trying to be edgy with NFR but what she said literally makes no sense:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LanaDelReyFans/status/1195326938929389568

"Why wait for the best when I could have you? Exactly. Fuck that!" 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Fuck I cannot stand this puta

(1234th post woot woot)

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

this is such a tough one. not saying our feelings are lana's responsibility bc, of course, they're not!! but even if she feels differently now to how she felt when she wrote and recorded those songs, a lot of us love those songs so much because we connect to them on a deep, personal and emotional level. even if we no longer feel how we did when we first connected to them in the same way lana probably doesn't (i mean many of us were just babiesssss when born to die was released!) it's still cathartic to relive or even bury those emotions thru the music. that's why live shows are so awesome when you have a deep connection to the artist. i can sing "I HAVE NOOOOTTTHHHIIIIIINNNGGGG WITHOUT YOUUUUU" while actually laughing at the fact that i once felt that way towards someone, now that my mentality's changed. lana clearly has a very different mindset. she seems SO determined to distance herself HARD from her past work, as if she's embarrassed she ever felt or wrote those things. i get it, in a way, but i also find it to be such a shame. we love the music, we connect to it, why won't she embrace that? let us have our melodramatic i looooooost myself when iiiii loooost yooooooou moment while singing along to TLY lana, dammit!!

I don't buy this, though. She's been singing UV (including "he hit me and it felt like a kiss"). She's spoken in interviews about how she is no longer in that place, and before she sang it in (Seattle?) she said, "do you ever look back on something you wrote and ask yourself 'what was I thinking?'"

So it doesn't make sense that she'd sing that but TLY is out of the question. 

Someone go a step further and give her a sheet of TLY lyrics at the next show challenge

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

I think she was trying to be edgy with NFR but what she said literally makes no sense:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LanaDelReyFans/status/1195326938929389568

"Why wait for the best when I could have you? Exactly. Fuck that!" 

Lana trashing her own damn lyrics live is getting so old now, what's the matter with her??

I don't buy this, though. She's been singing UV (including "he hit me and it felt like a kiss"). She's spoken in interviews about how she is no longer in that place, and before she sang it in (Seattle?) she said, "do you ever look back on something you wrote and ask yourself 'what was I thinking?'"

So it doesn't make sense that she'd sing that but TLY is out of the question. 

Someone go a step further and give her a sheet of TLY lyrics at the next show challenge

true also!!! i mean, of course, she might just be lazy... which is typical lana  :toofunny:

Wq9zHLl.jpg

current album favs: HtD, NFR, HiaB, hope

I think my favs when the album came out were CG, LS, California, FiiLY. It's interesting how much my preferences have shifted.

I've also been listening to Fine China a lot while listening to NFR and now my brain thinks it belongs on the album. I think it'd work nicely after HtD or Bartender.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

As much as I love love love Venice Bitch, I think over time my favourite has become The Greatest. I love how the song is set up with the guitar solo before the second verse then ending with a piano solo. It’s different, you don’t see that a lot. Reminds me of Rhiannon a bit that way. And somehow The Greatest also is like one of the most versatile songs. I feel like every single time I’ve listened to it, I’ve been in the type of mood to relate but always in different ways.

I think How to Disappear is my other favourite too. I’ve talked it up so much though that I don’t think it’s necessary to list everything I love about it (it’s probably annoying for everyone to read again).

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

I just watched the clip where she's rolling her eyes and I don't think she was rolling her eyes because someone asked for TLY, I think she was rolling her eyes because she had 20 people yelling different things at her and she probably got overwhelmed.

https://mobile.twitter.com/secondcasey/status/1195202859257733125

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

I can see where you are coming from with this, believe me I get it. We are very much aware that we are beating a dead horse... I mean it's been what almost three months since the album was released? I know we're talking ill of it, but we're basically keeping this record alive with this thread. I know we're being harsh here, but at the same time if it wasn't for us keeping the discussion alive about this record, I'd personally rather see us discuss the album's production/mastering and lyricism than coming here and seeing comments like "who thinks that Cinnamon Girl is the best song on NFR??!!1!". We can agree to disagree.

You see, I've also been called rude or negative because I criticised stuff other people hyped. Everyone should have their opinion and I think it's great you can elaborate yours so good. Criticism is important for art either way, as it can be extremely constructive. And I'm totally there for arguments about music, as long as they deliver good counterpoints (something a lot of the members here are not capable of, they are either YAAAASSing or talking about how something is THE.WORST.THING.EVER.)

BUT

Coming to the thread everyday to post on and on about why you think it's such a bad album is not really much above coming here just to post how much you love song X. You made your point, you worded it well, however if there is no real discussion about it going on, then it's quickly getting annoying if you just keep shoving out negativity.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!