Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

3,741 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

it's not? At least on spotify. Doin' Time, Mariners Apartment Complex, hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it, Venice Bitch, Fuck it I love you, and Norman fucking Rockwell all have more, in that order.

WTF :facepalm:

Sputnik have finally released their decade-end list

37. Lana Del Rey – Norman Fucking Rockwell!

LanaDelRey_NormalFuckingRockwell.jpg

Lana Del Rey’s immense level of talent has always been self-evident. Her vocals soar with a sense of eloquence and dire purpose; a voice that sounds like it was meant to speak to an entire generation. The problem is that across five full-length LPs, that destiny was never fulfilled. She wrote some absolute hits – namely ‘Born to Die’ and ‘Video Games’ – but she could never quite string together a complete album of songs worth listening to. Well, Norman Fucking Rockwell! is the album that we’d been screaming for since she first flashed potential at the beginning of this past decade – a front-to-end masterclass in songwriting that, in partial debt to Jack Antenoff’s brilliant production, showcases her voice to its maximum potential. All of this liberates Del Rey to do what she does best: wax poetic about America – or in this case, its demise.

Norman Fucking Rockwell! revels in its apathetic apocalypse; Del Rey sits back coolly and sings about it all like a passive spectator – someone who can easily see the fire on the morning’s horizon, yet knows that it’s too late to turn the Earth backwards to yesterday. With this mindset, we’re given drunken nights spent partying, fucking, and getting high – it’s a “too late” mentality that is rather certain of what our fate will entail after the next page-turn within the book of life (“If this is it, I had a ball” / “I guess I’m signing off after all”) and very much in a state of post-panic. Within Norman Fucking Rockwell!‘s almost shell-shocked calm, we’re given a handful of Del Rey’s most breathtaking ballads: ‘Venice Bitch’ in its nine minutes of clear-eyed lucidity, dreamy soft-rock elements, and psychedelia; the breathy whispers of ‘Mariners Apartment Complex’ underpinned by gorgeous classical pianos; the momentous anthem for women’s rights that is ‘​hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have – but i have it’; the subtle jabs at the presidency in the title track; the humor and sadness that ‘Happiness is a butterfly’ emits with that ridiculously infectious chorus…it’s all here. Norman Fucking Rockwell! beckons for us to join in on the anarchal apathy, light one up, and gaze into the eyes of a loved one. Because after the record stops spinning, we don’t know if we’ll get another chance. –Sowing

She wrote some absolute hits – namely ‘Born to Die’ and ‘Video Games’ – but she could never quite string together a complete album of songs worth listening to.

Another entitled idiot who didn't took the time or the effort to listen to anything else by her after Born to die and Video Games, yet has the audacity to despise the inmense records she has put out since day one. Worse, yet: another coward that would surely have tried to ridiculise her if it was still the tone on the industry, yet feels authorized enough to give herself validation when the mainstream opinion finally decided to do it.

If there's anything that makes me respect Lana a ton within all this rubbish critics, is that the last thing she was going for with NFR was validation. Keep your vision going, Lana.

Another entitled idiot who didn't took the time or the effort to listen to anything else by her after Born to die and Video Games, yet has the audacity to despise the inmense records she has put out since day one. Worse, yet: another coward that would surely have tried to ridiculise her if it was still the tone on the industry, yet feels authorized enough to give herself validation when the mainstream opinion finally decided to do it.

If there's anything that makes me respect Lana a ton within all this rubbish critics, is that the last thing she was going for with NFR was validation. Keep your vision going, Lana.

lmao nfr haters really mad af

this publication has been praising her since the beginning

UV 4.3/5 - superb -  https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/62846/Lana-Del-Rey-Ultraviolence/

Paradise 3.5/5 - great - https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/54172/Lana-Del-Rey-Paradise/

LFL - 4/5 - excellent - https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/74333/Lana-Del-Rey-Lust-For-Life/

BTD - 4/5 - excellent - https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/47721/Lana-Del-Rey-Born-to-Die/

damn, their BTD review says:

Born to Die is a brilliant album, but it's one that leaves room for a few improvements, and inspires confidence that they'll happen.

keep your vision going  :teehee:

"but she could never quite string together a complete album of songs worth listening to"

wow, i would have to disagree with this statement, i know it's all opinion etc. but for me personally i find ultraviolence and honeymoon to be her most cohesive and fulfilling projects - with no skips.

lmao nfr haters really mad af

this publication has been praising her since the beginning

UV 4.3/5 - superb -  https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/62846/Lana-Del-Rey-Ultraviolence/

Paradise 3.5/5 - great - https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/54172/Lana-Del-Rey-Paradise/

LFL - 4/5 - excellent - https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/74333/Lana-Del-Rey-Lust-For-Life/

BTD - 4/5 - excellent - https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/47721/Lana-Del-Rey-Born-to-Die/

damn, their BTD review says:

keep your vision going  :teehee:

First: "NFR hater", who?

Second: Talking about the critic, not the publication. Go and check who wrote the review on NFR for the decade-end list, he/she isn't the same who wrote the other album ones (but LFL, with a 4/5 -sure many here have reasons to not agree on that either).

And yes, please, Lana, keep your vision going!

First: "NFR hater", who?

Second: Talking about the critic, not the publication. Go and check who wrote the review on NFR for the decade-end list, he/she isn't the same who wrote the other album ones (but LFL, with a 4/5 -sure many here have reasons to not agree on that either).

And yes, please, Lana, keep your vision going!

um, you dont say? lol i know perfectly well how they work. but to choose a year-end review and spot they all have to agree. that's why it's a mainstream publication. they have an ideology, a concept and a goal.

Tbh where’d the narrative that Lanas best writing is about America/the state of the world/current events even come from??? She doesn’t even have songs like that until LFL, and those songs weren’t the stronger songs on the record. But I feel like every review of NFR is saying Lana’s calling is representing “the world”... it’s so weird to me

Tbh where’d the narrative that Lanas best writing is about America/the state of the world/current events even come from??? She doesn’t even have songs like that until LFL, and those songs weren’t the stronger songs on the record. But I feel like every review of NFR is saying Lana’s calling is representing “the world”... it’s so weird to me

Because, in my opinion of course, NFR does function as both, a deeply intimate album about her current state of mind and as a commentary about the current state of the world. This duality, double entendre if you wish, started with the song "Change", which is essentially about her change of self-perspective, well-being and mental health, a process that took place at the same time the world is changing at such unique pace. She connects her wish and will to change with the current environmental, social, cultural and political change of the world. It just feels right to have NFR in 2019-20.

For instance, "hope is a dangerous thing..." is definitely a song about her; about her past and the strength and hope she knows she has inside in order to be a better version of herself, but it also works as a feminism commentary, a critique of the music industry and the current feeling we all have of uncertainty. Sort of reminds me of Beyoncé's "Freedom"; political commentary but still works perfectly fine within the theme of the album which was her troubled relationship with Jay-Z.

Because, in my opinion of course, NFR does function as both, a deeply intimate album about her current state of mind and as a commentary about the current state of the world. This duality, double entendre if you wish, started with the song "Change", which is essentially about her change of self-perspective, well-being and mental health, a process that took place at the same time the world is changing at such unique pace. She connects her wish and will to change with the current environmental, social, cultural and political change of the world. It just feels right to have NFR in 2019-20.

For instance, "hope is a dangerous thing..." is definitely a song about her; about her past and the strength and hope she knows she has inside in order to be a better version of herself, but it also works as a feminism commentary, a critique of the music industry and the current feeling we all have of uncertainty. Sort of reminds me of Beyoncé's "Freedom"; political commentary but still works perfectly fine within the theme of the album which was her troubled relationship with Jay-Z.

Thanks for answering, I really like your description of how Lana can do songs with duel meaning both relating to the individual and to the society. 

I agree she has songs about those themes of state of world/social politics, But to me the obvious answer about what Lana writes about best would be something like romantic love or deep emotion, not politics. and like you said, the songs about the world are more recent in her discography. so that's why I think its very strange and out of the blue to consider that the topic she is most skilled at writing about. I hope that makes sense

Born to Die will forever be iconic. But since I've been sheltered in place for almost a month now and listening to albums non-stop, there's an obvious quality difference between BTD and NFR. NFR is supreme

DJhy65Q.gif

"but she could never quite string together a complete album of songs worth listening to"

wow, i would have to disagree with this statement, i know it's all opinion etc. but for me personally i find ultraviolence and honeymoon to be her most cohesive and fulfilling projects - with no skips.

exactly! i wouldn't skip a single track on UV and HM but you definitely won't hear me listening to How to Disappear ever. I never listen to NFR eagerly like I do with other albums, it's more reluctant. 

m8dL5mn.png

exactly! i wouldn't skip a single track on UV and HM but you definitely won't hear me listening to How to Disappear ever. I never listen to NFR eagerly like I do with other albums, it's more reluctant.

This! If anything I have a shorter playlist with the only listenable songs from NFR on it LOL. Leak HTD DEMO 2020

Thanks for answering, I really like your description of how Lana can do songs with duel meaning both relating to the individual and to the society. 

I agree she has songs about those themes of state of world/social politics, But to me the obvious answer about what Lana writes about best would be something like romantic love or deep emotion, not politics. and like you said, the songs about the world are more recent in her discography. so that's why I think its very strange and out of the blue to consider that the topic she is most skilled at writing about. I hope that makes sense

Oh I can see what you mean now. Well, then I think one of the things that shocked critics is the fact that the songwriting and themes on NFR are actually so well crafted! When NFR came out, I was confused and indifferent about it regarding the music itself (now I love it) but the lyrics were always the strongest point imo. Her more intimate and mature lyrics are definitely much more beautifully written than those of doom and tragic romance. Don't get me wrong, I love those lyrics, and I believe the lyricism on Honeymoon is fantastic (perhaps because she was hinting the upcoming themes? Since Honeymoon is more introspective and self-empowering). I just mean happy and thoughtful Lana is better than dramatiqué Lana. (I M H O)

I- maybe I'm like oversimplifying or something. but. I think this record's a lot to do with love.

Like, Born to Die's about transformation, making the most of what she knew.
Paradise is, about reaching that identity she wanted for herself.
Ultraviolence is about living with everything she's got, but dealing w the fact that life's still not perfect even with all the success.
Honeymoon is about clinging to what she still has. Taking care of herself. 
Lust for Life is about trusting herself, and opening up to the world. Being able to let go of her demons and joining society, not just thru her bubble. 
NFR! is her testing herself,  and actually letting herself be vulnerable. even if that means that she's left all alone. 

As much as I love Lana’s music, I was never able to find myself much in it before NFR, except for some songs I’ve always cherished. Maybe because I never was one of these people who have an extravagant life, who "live fast die young". But with NFR, it’s different. This album is about simple things in life (dancing, going to the beach, crying late at night, daydreaming), simple love affairs, simple issues... It’s a down to earth album. To me, there’s nothing more beautiful but also more painful than simple things.

Not everyone can like this album, because I feel like it’s about Elizabeth Woolridge Grant, not Lana Del Rey, however, no sensible person should say the album is not good.

So...NFR is now Lana’s most listened album on Apple Music worldwide with 2.9mln points and has surpassed LfL. NFR has also gained 6000 points today (LfL 689). This chart exists since July 2017.

giphy.gif

After all this time I think my trinity would be Love Song - California - Mariners Apartment Complex.

They really hit me where it hurts.  :poordat:

Hope is really close though. 

its crazy how with every album she has completely surprised us and outdone herself (besides LFL but thinking back to 2017 the record was so necessary for that summer and the prerelease era will always have a special place in my heart) 

tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo4_250.gif   tumblr_otaqmarVHa1u9dqtjo3_400.gif  tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo7_250.gif

So...NFR is now Lana’s most listened album on Apple Music worldwide with 2.9mln points and has surpassed LfL. NFR has also gained 6000 points today (LfL 689). This chart exists since July 2017.

Link?

giphy.gif