Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

I've got to agree. Ultraviolence is an incredible album, and back then it was like goddamn, her best ever... I still think Honeymoon is slightly her very best record, but Norman is just another league. It's simply better than most of her discography. It has the 'classic' feeling only Born to Die had, while her other projects felt more like 'cult' albums.

Β 

It's not a coincidence that Norman is already a 21st century classique... it's not only that the industry finally accepted and understood her. The album itself is grand. Right album, right time...

Β 

This I agree with: "Right album, right time". Lana is at a pivotal moment in her career. After year of being considered and regarded as a problematic figure on the music scene, I genuinely believe that some of her most fervent critics have finally softened up to her. Also, lyrically, NFR happens to be her least "controversial" effort thus far, it's much less tainted with sense of mystery/mysticism but also the so called "edgy" lyrics of her first three records. I still don't think critics "get her", I think they would still give subpar reviews to her first three records to be honest.

Β 

I wholeheartedly disagree on this though. I do not get a sense of the classic, let alone grand feeling, nor the same level of intricacy both lyrically and melodically than what she has displayed on Born To Die/Paradise, Ultraviolence and Honeymoon. NFR doesn't stand out like that in her discographyΒ in my opinion.Β Though it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb much like Lust for Life, to me it still feel very underwhelming and somewhat lackluster in many regards. But to each their own.

Am I the only one who thinks Honeymoon was actually way tamer than Norman fucking Rockwell?

Β 

Softer melodically? Absolutely.

Tamer? I don't think so.

Softer melodically? Absolutely.

Tamer? I don't think so.

I meant lyrically and thematically tamer, not that it’s slower. It’s probably the tamest Lana album actually. Even when it came out, people were saying the critics liked it only because she toned down her lyrics and themes so much. It’s not a criticism, part of its charm is how tame it is. Like NFR May be way tamer than UV or AKA, but it’s definitely not nearly as tame as HM.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

I meant lyrically and thematically tamer, not that it’s slower. It’s probably the tamest Lana album actually. Even when it came out, people were saying the critics liked it only because she toned down her lyrics and themes so much. It’s not a criticism, part of its charm is how tame it is.

Β 

I didn't mean softer as in slower, I find the melody and sound of the album to be much softer/delicate, aerial/ethereal or lush if you will than NFR. But also, I find that Honeymoon has that little je ne sais quoi, or quintessential Lana "feel" lyrically, that sense of mystery or mysticism you know? So in that regard I find the lyrics on NFR to be more tamed, or casual (almost subpar?) compared to Honeymoon if that make sense.

Am I the only one who thinks Honeymoon was actually way tamer than Norman fucking Rockwell?

Honeymoon has this hypnotic feel to the entire album.Β  Like the songs themselves are the tip of a massive iceberg lurking beneath the surface.Β  NFR feels like it's all out on the surface with not as much depth to me

I meant lyrically and thematically tamer, not that it’s slower. It’s probably the tamest Lana album actually. Even when it came out, people were saying the critics liked it only because she toned down her lyrics and themes so much. It’s not a criticism, part of its charm is how tame it is. Like NFR May be way tamer than UV or AKA, but it’s definitely not nearly as tame as HM.

Β 

Hmmm, I don't think lyrically it strays too far away from classic Lana, if anything I'd say that the majority of LFL was much tamer than NFR. Something about this record just feels really different to me? Like LFL is my least favourite and at times felt very forced-happy (Love, LFL, Get Free etc) but it still felt like classic Lana (13 Beaches, Cherry etc)...

Β 

I don't know if I'm making sense but like it's kinda like all the pieces are still there, they just don't fit together the same way they used to

1 hour and 45 minutes long NFR documentary with legendary producer and genius Jack Antonoff?

Β 

Feel free to waste 320$, what a bargain.

Β 

That's it, this era has reached its ridicule peak.Β  :toofloppy:

honeymoon? tame? are we hearing the same fuckin record

Β 

Hearing impairment is very common.

Feel free to waste 320$, what a bargain.

Β 

That's it, this era has reached its ridicule peak.Β  :toofloppy:

Β 

y'all are dumb - you can literally just sub $26 for one month and watch/download it. for an 1hr 45 mins of Jack going through the production (if you're into music production) is totally worth it.

Β 

y'all are dumb - you can literally just sub $26 for one month and watch/download it. for an 1hr 45 mins of Jack going through the production (if you're into music production) is totally worth it.

Β 

Β 

nice to see the name change hasn't affected your proclivity for sweeping, categorical insults

it's just the way i feel

Lana didnt date barry and noodle boy just for you fags to call NFR her best album

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β 7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

It's still money wasted to me.

Β 

I'm not interested in the slightest to know how Jack ruined this entire album with his shitty input as a "producer" no matter how much your or JackJared or anyone are trying to push him down our throat as an allege "musical genius".Β  :)