Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

POETRY ALBUM IN 7 DAYS!!

I CAN'T WAIT. 

I also can't wait to hear what creations will be made out of it. How good is this version of Florence reading William Blake's poetry over an original score. OOF. THE ART THAT WILL BE MADE.

3lfQEhw.png

POETRY ALBUM IN 7 DAYS!!

HOLY SHIT you're right. Lmaooo I forgot it's coming so quickly. Definetly excited for such a new and different project for her

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

I CAN'T WAIT. 

I also can't wait to hear what creations will be made out of it. How good is this version of Florence reading William Blake's poetry over an original score. OOF. THE ART THAT WILL BE MADE.

Its a lot to ask for Lana to put this much effort into something so im not building up my expecatations but this would be amazing :flutter:  She's lucky she has a nice speaking voice though so even if she doesnt use any instrumentals, i'll be happy anyway

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Its a lot to ask for Lana to put this much effort into something so im not building up my expecatations but this would be amazing :flutter:  She's lucky she has a nice speaking voice though so even if she doesnt use any instrumentals, i'll be happy anyway

If she does overlay it, that's cool I'm sure we'll love it. But if she doesn't, we can make some super fuckin cool stuff from it. A true DIY project! 

3lfQEhw.png

If she does overlay it, that's cool I'm sure we'll love it. But if she doesn't, we can make some super fuckin cool stuff from it. A true DIY project! 

I wonder why it hasn't leaked yet, i wonder what the cover will be like, or how many poems there will be... i have so many questions :deadbanana:

my guess is between 12 and 15 poem readings?? she obviously has more in the book but maybe she picked only her faves for this project

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

With the sound analysis - loved it! 

Few points to add:  

• Lana and her producers have always been a fan of the Mellotron (and so am I) but Jack in particular seems to love the Mellotron french horns - aka the intro of Love Song, HTD, used prolifically in Venice, California etc, that is what THAT sound is (personally I love it and how warm and tacky it sounds) 
  • Love the synth glissando and the brass in the title track and how the opening strings are exactly the same as what plays in the chorus 
  • Increased bass and synths in the outro of FIILY are incredible
  • Love subtle changes in vocal processing ie. reverb, delay, doubling on Love Song and the harmonies in MAC
  • Mixing is too loud on HTD and don't like dynamic changes but can see they were intentional
  • California is pretty flat and the vocals could have been better, could have been more rocky, less repetitive etc
  • The Greatest is one of my fave songs ever even though it's a bit anticlimatic - also don't really hear the strings, flute and horns that are credited, interesting vocal crack/flutter on greaaaaaaaaatest. Love the use of octave vocal doubling in this track and how the last chorus has more guitar
  • The "dance" in HIAB after the chorus is out of time with the main vocal line and the guitar swells are nice if not a bit overbearing at times 

Overall love this album sonically but it could have been cleaner and would have liked more bridges

• Lana and her producers have always been a fan of the Mellotron (and so am I) but Jack in particular seems to love the Mellotron french horns - aka the intro of Love Song, HTD, used prolifically in Venice, California etc, that is what THAT sound is (personally I love it and how warm and tacky it sounds) 

YES we stan the mellotron in this house!!

it's just the way i feel

I wonder why it hasn't leaked yet, i wonder what the cover will be like, or how many poems there will be... i have so many questions :deadbanana:

my guess is between 12 and 15 poem readings?? she obviously has more in the book but maybe she picked only her faves for this project

I think it might be around 15 poems + haikus. We know she has written some and they don’t take long to read so it would be nice to have them too

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

Can we all agree that Venice Bitch is the best sonically song and MAC the best lyrically song on the album?

And for all the Hope is a keyboardsmash lovers- This song is one of her best lyrically songs on the album too.period.

We agreeing 

"Some days are for falling in love with people, some days for cities, and some for your time in solitude."

Can we all agree that Venice Bitch is the best sonically song and MAC the best lyrically song on the album?

And for all the Hope is a keyboardsmash lovers- This song is one of her best lyrically songs on the album too.period.

Yes, this album really has her highest highs ever. 

Cue the sentence mixing :creep:

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif